Alcohol

spanisheyes

According to the rules, you are only allowed to bring two bottles of wine per stateroom on board. If you want to bring them to the dining room, there is a $25 corkage fee.

Celebrity does have an extensive wine list so if you are drinking a wine that is on their list, it might be less to order from the wine list.

According to Celebrity's website:

Does Celebrity charge a corkage fee?

Subject: Food and Beverage

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. If a guest receives a bottle of wine (in their stateroom) from a family member of friend, and that bottle(s) was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply if they wish to consume the bottle in the dining room or any public area. If a guest receives a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25.00 corkage fee per bottle will apply if they wish to consume the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account. Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

April:

That seems a little harsh. Unless you two set up a kiosk in the hall and tried to sell it by the glass, that is.

Everyone:

I always wonder about this though. If you are allowed to bring on two bottles are you supposed to carry it on? Otherwise, you may have two more in checked luggage thus exceeding the limit but it seems to me they are more likely to say "Sorry, no alcohol onboard" and take it away at boarding.

For those of you that do bring the two bottles, how do you do it? Even the reservation agents we speak with daily have varying opinions on this.

April:

That seems a little harsh. Unless you two set up a kiosk in the hall and tried to sell it by the glass, that is.

Everyone:

I always wonder about this though. If you are allowed to bring on two bottles are you supposed to carry it on? Otherwise, you may have two more in checked luggage thus exceeding the limit but it seems to me they are more likely to say "Sorry, no alcohol onboard" and take it away at boarding.

For those of you that do bring the two bottles, how do you do it? Even the reservation agents we speak with daily have varying opinions on this.

I know this seems harsh, but that is what the new brochure states in the fine print. Just my luck, it would happen to me. I am wondering the same thing you are about how to bring it. I think we will have to wait till we get to Florida to buy it because I think we may have a hard time with the airlline. I know somehow we will bring the 2 bottles per stateroom allowed for my mil.

As far as bringing two bottles of wine onboard (champagne in my case),

I just stick it in my carry-on bag. Because we are flying to our departure

port, I will have to wait to purchase until we arrive in town.

George

As for the airline I was under the impression you can take it in checked luggage. Naturally, there is the risk of breakage but I almost think it would be better to take the chance (bubble wrap and ziplocks)than pay the rate in Barcelona and then have to find the store etc. My time is so limited there.

A bottle of champagne does sound like a plan. I bought a small one today for the hotel night.

Regarding putting alcohol in your luggage. I'm flying to Barcelona to catch the celebrity century. I have no time to buy a bottle of alcohol there. Am I correct in assuming I can pack let's say two bottles of vodka ( bubble wrap and zip locks ) in my luggage and I will have no probelms, other than maybe breakage? I thought the USA would not allow that when you are departing to Barcelona? Plus, what charge if it is in your luggage? Thanks!

As for the airline I was under the impression you can take it in checked luggage. Naturally, there is the risk of breakage but I almost think it would be better to take the chance (bubble wrap and ziplocks)than pay the rate in Barcelona and then have to find the store etc. My time is so limited there.

A bottle of champagne does sound like a plan. I bought a small one today for the hotel night.

yes, I believe you are right. I am just going to Florida though, so it won't be hard to find a store there. We took 12 bottles of champagne onto the Nordam last April. Just carried it on, no problem. Celebrity is strictrer w/ their alcohol policy. oh well, two is better than none.:D

For those buying alcohol in Barcelona, if you have time , booze is very cheap in Spain.:)

I think I will take a chance and stick a few bottles in my luggage, same as we did this year.

Does anybody know the prices of wine in the dining room. The corkage charge seems a bit excessive. We are not mean, but we are going to be on a long vacation (6 weeks) so are trying to save where we can.

Thanks for all the replies, they help a lot.

Navigator:

I remember reading that somewhere but all lines are different so I was unsure. Yes, I guess if they see what you have in carry on and it is no more than the limit they let it go through. The checked bags are randomly or all surveyed and bottles confiscated. What a lot of work.

I think I will just buy as I go. I'm trying to travel light but it is a challenge.

Silly Soul: Undisguised bottles of vodka are iffy as for the ship. I am still unsure if it is an issue legally. Anyone?

We just returned from a 7-day to Alaska on the Mercury. I took two bottles of wine packed in my luggage. I packed them before my flight from SFO to Vancouver - no problem. I used those wine sleeves made by BYO (I bought mine at Target for about $5.00 each). They really keep the bottle insulated and chilled for hours. Plus....they keep them so secure, you could just about drop them onto concrete and the bottle wouldn't break.

Celebrity allows you two bottles of wine per stateroom. They don't say anything about a box of wine - so I don't know. But, they also don't state the size of the bottle, so I'd chance bringing the larger bottles. The corkage fee to bring them into the dining room is $25. each. Also, the wine in the dining room STARTS at about $25.00 per bottle - and goes up drasticly. Personally, I ended up buying two bottles during the course of the week at the dining room. One was $25. and the other was $28. My DH doesn't like wine, so I had a glass or two each night with dinner, and the two bottles lasted the 7 dinners. The wine I brought was for before dinner, and sometimes I'd fill a glass to bring with me to a show or something.

Regarding putting alcohol in your luggage. I'm flying to Barcelona to catch the celebrity century. I have no time to buy a bottle of alcohol there. Am I correct in assuming I can pack let's say two bottles of vodka ( bubble wrap and zip locks ) in my luggage and I will have no probelms, other than maybe breakage? I thought the USA would not allow that when you are departing to Barcelona? Plus, what charge if it is in your luggage? Thanks!

You will see the duty free store after you check in - you can buy it there.

Here is another tip - We drink bottled water - ship charges $4.95 for a liter.

The store in duty free sells 6 1.5 liter bottles for 8 euros - or about 1.3 euros per bottle about $1.85 that way

That's expensive water for Spain. I live in Spain and we pay about 18 cents, as in euro cents for 11/2 litres. We can also buy good wine for about 1 euro.

Where we live airport security is very lax, in fact we hardly ever see anybody, and never have our passports checked when arriving into the country.

I suppose if you buy a really good bottle of wine and get charged corkage it might still be cheaper than buying it in the restaurant.

That was a good tip about taking your own drink out with you.

I don't think it makes a difference whether you bring bottled wine or boxed wine. Two's the limit. There are some decent boxed wines out there and I'm hoping to find some nice ones in Rome before my cruise.

Monica

For any one tempted to fly the boxed wine in, how confident would you be with it in checked luggage? For carry on it is probably a no-no.

For any one tempted to fly the boxed wine in, how confident would you be with it in checked luggage? For carry on it is probably a no-no.

I don't fly with wine (checked or carry-on), but will buy mine once I'm in Rome for my cruise. However, the boxed wines I have seen and purchased are in very heavy duty boxes and the plastic insert is also heavy duty, so I don't believe it is a fragile as a glass bottle in a suitcase. Of course, I have some friends that purchase boxes specifically for bottles of wine.

Yes, carry-on is a big no-no.

Monica :)

Has anybody taken more than 2 bottles of wine on recently & had a problem with it being confiscated?????

I understand that during spring break in May they were strict about inforcing the policy (which is understandable), but I haven't heard that there has been a problem with taking more on board since then.

I'm still kind of iffy about the boxed wine, I was reading a thread (wish I knew where it was at) about someone who attempted to bring boxed wine and they confiscated it until the end of the cruise.

On my Zenith cruise to Bermuda last October I brought 1 bottle of wine and 1 boxed wine (3? liters). Both were in our carry-on bag (we drove to the port in NJ) and x-rayed and not touched. In fact, I know several others that brought wine with them and it wasn't taken away.

Monica

Archived