Passport Question

rlwidel

I have seen several people mention leaving their passports in the safe and only taking a copy. Do your passports never get stamped at the different islands? Is it only looked at? I would like to get ours stamped at each island, but don't know if that's possible. I thought they did that at customs. Thanks for your info.

they do not get stamped.....one cruise, i asked at guest relations and gave them our passports (got a receipt) and asked if the imigration officer could try and get them stamped....wacky cruise we had due to a hurricane, but they were able to get it stamped in Labadee-so I have a Haitian passport stamp..

in Bermuda there was a Customs/Immigration office in Hamilton...they stamped them there too...it was funny, one agent told the other he had to look thru the ship's manifest to find our names, and wanted my mom to come in (she was on the bench outside). the other man, who wound up stamping them, after rifling through a 3 inch thick stack of paper said..here you go....

he said something like the manifest wasn't in alpha order and he wasn't going to waste my whole day-he said you made an effort, you are here, have a nice day!

so..in short, no, passports don't get stamped...bummer. customs/immigration from other countries clear the ship and everything on it(there is some term or reason how and why- but i forget). Only US ICE makes all people present themselves...

I have seen several people mention leaving their passports in the safe and only taking a copy. Do your passports never get stamped at the different islands? Is it only looked at? I would like to get ours stamped at each island, but don't know if that's possible. I thought they did that at customs. Thanks for your info.

The PP is a form of identification. You carry the original only not the copy in the event of emergency. The copy is if you lose you PP and can get a temporary at the embassy until you return to the states. The ship will clear imigrations in each port for you so they don't stamp the PP anymore. Other than clearing with the port authorities as a means of ID that's the only time (other then medical or other emergency) your PP is just ID. You will find travel even in the states a PP is a simplier form of ID vs 50 different types of Dr. lic. Plus in Jan 2008 ypu will require a PP>

Believe it or not, even when you cruise in Europe you don't get passport stamps anymore. I guess it's all a matter of saving money.

Used to be a time when every imigration would stamp your PP. My lastest renewed one enter at Rome, thru Swiss Germany France and finallly got one stamp in Dover England, then got 2 from Malaysia, 1 from a cruise when I cam back to the USA and one recently in Vancouver on the way to Alaska. It is wasn'nt for the Silver Spoons couldn't prove I was in 26 countries.

Archived