Seasickness: is bigger better?

NCTribeFan

I've suffered from motion sickness all my life (which is one reason why I always insist on driving). You'd think that alone would put me off cruising, but it hasn't!

I've used dramamine when I've sailed, and put myself up on a deck to get air in my face, as well as sticking to coke to drink.

I usually have an inside cabin, and since that first cruise when we were up in the bow on the little Jubilee in rough seas (I managed to not hurl, though!), I try to book close to midship, and spend as little time in the cabin as possible.

In December, we're on the Miracle, my biggest ship yet, with a balcony, which I'm hoping will provide me with a place to sit if the queasies hit. I plan on getting the ginger and I already have the wrist bands which do seem to help some.

I've been told totally opposite things by different people. Some say that the smaller ships are better and some say the bigger the ship, the better.

I've sort of been creeping up the size ladder (although I like the Fantasy class ships; the Elation at least).

A co-worker just returned from a luxury Med cruise on a sailing ship that held about 250 pax. She said the captain told them that smaller is better. If you're on a huge ship, any movement is magnified.

I guess I was thinking that the bigger the ship, the more "stable" and land-locked resort-like it would be!

Thoughts?

I have been on boats from 20 feet to a yacht at 200 feet to the Paradise and Elation and I have to tell you the bigger the better for me. I am like you I have a really hard time in a car when not driving and I thought cruising wouldnt be for me but I love it.

I hate the small boats though. I cannot even get on a small one any more, I just refuse to put myself through that.

Good for you for cruising in spite of the motion sickness! I get really frustrated when we tell our friends how amazing cruising is, and they reply with "I will never cruise because I get sea sick".

We had a balcony right up by the bridge on the 8th deck on Miracle, and I was not the least bit queasy. I'm like you, and get carsick when I'm a passenger. I took Bonamine every night. The only day we could feel the motion was a particularly windy one, and even the waiters and dancers were stumbling around, but I felt fine through it all. I think you'll have no troubles if you keep up with the dramamine.

I have been on 2 cruises. I felt a lot of motion when on the Celebration. It didn't matter what time of day it was. I felt the boat swaying. It took me about a week after the cruise to not sway when on land. I was on the Liberty a few weeks ago and I did not feel any motion the whole cruise. I would look out to the water and then remember saying, "Oh, we are moving." I did not have the sea legs after this cruise. So, I think the bigger the boat, the less motion you feel.

You have to realize that you are on an ocean and not on dry land. No matter how large the ship is, if the seas are really rough, you will feel it. A ship, no matter how large is just a little speck compared to the huge ocean.

My advice is to get a cabin low down and midship so you will feel it less, but there will still be motion. Take Bonine or dramamine, or the patch. I hear those ginger pills really work well.

I'm not trying to scare you at all but just letting you know that you might feel the ship move, if the seas are rough.

Try not to worry and go and have a great time on your cruise. :)

I've sailed on the Sovereign of the Seas, Fantasy, and Carnival Liberty. The Liberty by far was the smoothest ride, although the Fantasy was pretty smooth as well. The SOS was so rocky that dh both were extremely sick the first night. Of course this probably had a lot to do with choppy waters as well. But I think the bigger the better! I get very queasy on the tenders, so I feel like the smaller boats are much more prone to rocking.

Have you tried the patch for motion sickness? I get sick from anything...auto, plane, ship, and to me the patch works like no other. Unfortunately, the last time I used it, it made my eyes bright red and painful, so I cannot use it any longer. But, to me, its the best!!

You will love the balcony and it will be very nice to step out onto to get some fresh air, and see the horizon. Hey...another excuse to get a balcony...motion sickness!! Have a great cruise!!

Poor little Jubilee had some really high seas on that first cruise. I just found a chair on the Promenade and dealt with the salt spray later. What nearly put me over the edge was when the movement turned me over in my bed. That and trying to shower. Ugh. But like I said, we were in the bow. Never again!

I nearly turned down the upgrade to the ex. balcony because I'm a little worried about being so high (Veranda). But I'm going to try adding the ginger tablets and switch from Dramamine to Bonine.

And raw apples.

Part of the reason I chose this cruise was that it had 2 days at sea rather than 3, although when I feel ok, I do love the relaxation of those sea days.

I'll be ok unless it gets really, really, really rough.

One ship is 700'L X 90'W, another ship is 950'L X 130'W. They both sail the same route, the same week. A total of 3000 miles. 950' in 3000 miles is not going to make much difference over 700'. If the ocean is rough, it will be rough for both, smooth, both will ride well. Just keep crusin till you get your sea legs.

Dan

It's been a while since I have posted on this subject but I do wish to repeat this for those who may have missed it in my previous posts.

The Ginger product is called GINGERTRIPS. it is available in the health food stores. It is chewable and really quite tasty...especially if you like ginger flavored sauces. Looks like big TUMS.

It is to be taken at the first sign of queasiness...and really does work. Doesn't make you sleepy or produce redeye.

I have no interest in the company...don't even know who makes it...and am cynical about healthfood products...but this one is really special.

Have a

great trip.

Marilyn

Poor little Jubilee had some really high seas on that first cruise. I just found a chair on the Promenade and dealt with the salt spray later. What nearly put me over the edge was when the movement turned me over in my bed. That and trying to shower. Ugh. But like I said, we were in the bow. Never again!

OMG...I cannot imagine. I would have been as sick as a dog. No wonder you worry about the higher decks.

I had a server on the SOS tell me that green apples work the best. Unfortunately, I was too sick to eat them!!

Just keep up with the meds and take the ginger, hopefully all will be well.

I've been on the Conquest and Fantasy, and the motion on the Fantasy was WAY worse than when we were on rough seas on the Conquest. I'll be leaving on the Glory in LESS THAN 3 WEEKS (WOOHOO!!!), and I have ordered one of those electronic Relief Bands. The prescription seasick patch works for me, but I don't like the way it makes me feel. So I am hoping this Relief Band will work without having to use the patch. (Even though it IS big and ugly!!)

I am a person who has trouble riding in the back seat of a car. However, on our first Conquest cruise, we had smooth seas, and I never used anything for seasickness....didn't need it. So I think the seas are actually your key to how much movement you'll feel, and that is something we have NO control over. So just book your cruise on whatever ship you like, go prepared for rough water, and have FUN!!

I did learn a lot from that first cruise.

Besides the rough seas, our first stop was Grand Cayman. Did I go to Stingray City with the rest of our group? Oh, no! I don't really swim and was a bit afraid of the idea of snorkeling (plus it was rough and the ship-arranged snorkeling was all cancelled).

So what did I do? I did the Atlantis semi-sub! OMG! Was that a mistake! I was the last one down and the first one back up on deck!

Then it was on the bus. At least there was air and I could look ahead. But I'll tell you, by the time we got to Hell, I was certainly feeling like I'd gone to the right place!

LOL. Got a coke and I was fine within minutes.

Unfortunately, the next stop was Playa del Carmen and we took the tender to go to Tulum. Another very rough ride then the hour-long bus ride, but I was close to ok.

On the ride back over to Cozumel though, the tender people started passing out little white bags. I was praying that no one lose it because I knew that if they did, it would be all over. Thankfully, we all made it over.

After that I was not bad. Like I said, I know to not spend any more time in the cabin than I have to, but standing in the tiny shower, trying to keep your balance is not a good way to start the morning!

It all seems rather amusing when you look back at it. Not at the time, though.

I've learned a lot in my short time on these boards. I'll definitely go prepared and I will NOT let it ruin my fun!

Let me start by saying that I get terribly sea sick. I also get helicopter sick. So I take dramaine twice a day. I have been on both small ships and large ships. It doesn't matter the size of the ship if you are prone to getting sick. I tried to take it once a day but still got sick. I love to cruise. I am going on my tenth cruise this sunday. I have a couple of drinks on the ship and it doesn't bother me.

I cruise often and am VERY prone to motion sickness. We were just on the Liberty this July and I experienced a ton of motion sickness. I didn't throw up, but just felt very dizzy and had to lay down for a large portion of our sea days. Last year on the Conquest I barely felt any motion and thought the class of ships were the cause until I went on the Liberty. We have been on the Spirit class as well and I think the motion is the same. Always try to get a mid-ship cabin on a low deck.

I take two meclizine (bonine) every night before I go to bed and ginger during the day. I also have the electronic relief band which helps a bit.

There was recently a show on the Discovery Channel called Mythbusters. They tested all types of motion sickness medications and found the only thing that really works is ginger! So, you may even consider taking several types of ginger with you.....raw, chews, and pills. You can't overdose on ginger!

there is also available a pill form of the scopolamine patch, I get a prescription every year before I cruise for it, that way if I do feel like I am going to get seasick, I can take one, or not and don't have the drug in my system all the time.

I get seasick very easily. After going on three cruises I think that the bigger the boat the better. What you will also find helpful is having that balcony. I was an inside room one time and got sick much more easily. I don't think I will every go on another cruise without having a balcony. It is well worth it for me.

Archived