miami to fort lauderdale ?

AntonJ

We will be on the Navigator next spring which leaves from Miami but will be flying into Fort Lauderdale. We're flying in early so we will be set for departure. My question is; would it be better to catch a cab from Miami to FLL after the cruise, or make arrangements with RCCL? I thought there was an American Airlines check in at the port in Miami so maybe we could check our bags and then take a cab. Our flight isn't until 2:45pm so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

[color=green]We have taken a cab a few times with another couple, splitting the tab. Typically we get one of those vans that will hold the four of us plus our luggage. The cost is around $50 per couple and to us, simply worth it. [/color]

Someone on another posting mentioned the local train (above ground line) ?, which goes from West Palm Beach airport, to Fort Lauderdale airport and then on to Miami airport. This seems to be an airport only train. I did see something like this when I was at the airport in FLL last time but I was going on a ship out of FLL and was eager to go to the ship. The cost is about $12 a person and if you did not have luggage it might be interesting.

Hey just got back from a cruise out of Miami and flew in and out of Ft Lauderdale.

We flew in to Ft Lauderdale and caught the free shuttle to the tri rail. The tri rail is easy to take. There is an automated machine/teller to purchase tickets. It is $4.00 to go to Miami Airport stop. There is a shuttle there to take you a few blocks to the airport which is free. The ride was about 40 minutes due to the few stops. There is a place on the train to put the luggage in each car. We flew in a day earlier and stayed at a hotel by the airport. Days Inn International with a free pick up at the airport and drop off at the pier. Well worth it. If you book online direct at their site early it was $59.00. It went up to $79.00 closer to the month we were going.

We took the RCL bus for $16.00 from the Miami port to the FLL airport the day the cruise was over. Ths was problem and stress free.

One warning FLL airport is a piece of cake compared to Miami. All we did was wait for the hotel bus at the Miami airport and let me say one word.....ZOO!
People and cars everywhere. I travel into center city Philadelphia all the time and know what rush hour is like but Miami airport is horriable. I'm gladd FLL was cheaper because I will never take a flight in there even with a discount.

What time did you get off the ship?
What time was your flight?
How long did you wait for the RCI bus to leave the port?

Reason I ask is I have 2 couples in our group departing at noon on Southwest from FLL & our cruise also out of Miami. Trying to figure what to recommend they do for transportation to FLL on Sun. morning when we all get off ship!

TAXI: Someone earlier on this thread said taxi was $50 per couple!!!! Really that much??? Was this a van you pre-arranged with a shuttle or limo service or just one that was outside in the taxi line?

We got off the ship in Maimi by 10am because our prior stop was Key West and we went through Immigration there.We only had to do customs in Miami. Last Year I got off the Inspiration by the same time and was able to catch a 1:45 flight. You can request early baggage tags. Our flight wasnt until 3:00 o'clock but there was no room on the 1:15 flight that I was there in time for. I flew Airtran.

I would say take RCCL bus. The airport is a very expensive ride by taxi. The bus driver said it was approx $90 but I cant vouch for that.

The buses (say 4 or 5 just to FLL) were waiting and would leave as soon as one would fill up. And they did fast. It was a 25 minute ride and they drop you off at each terminal. The luggage was underneath and was packed according to what terminal you were getting off of. FLL airport is a breeze. No long lines.
There are plenty of taxis small and mini van outside the terminal.

Archived