Baby turtle season?

laura1960

We are headed to the Mexican Riviera aboard the Spirit and notice from the Carnival website that there are opportunities to release baby turtles into the ocean in Acapulco and Manzanillo. My kids would love this.

Does anyone know if baby turtles will be in abundance in January? I did a search on saw a post that said baby turtles are born only at the end of the rainy season - when is that for the Mexican Riviera?

Thanks,

We are headed to the Mexican Riviera aboard the Spirit and notice from the Carnival website that there are opportunities to release baby turtles into the ocean in Acapulco and Manzanillo. My kids would love this.

Does anyone know if baby turtles will be in abundance in January? I did a search on saw a post that said baby turtles are born only at the end of the rainy season - when is that for the Mexican Riviera?

Thanks,

I wish I knew. I am going in three weeks and we are going to the Turtle farm in Mazanillo. I hear it's better than the one in Acapulco. My kids will love holding and releasing the baby turtles.

We've released turtles in PV in late November and in December. We've even watched a turtle lay eggs on New Year's Eve right under bright lights next to the bandstand where a band was playing loudly. Right after the fireworks, a hotel employee came and dug up the eggs to take them to a fenced in nursery area.

• 2 months later...

An aquaintance of ours went on the Spirit in March, I believe, and they said that they were able to release the babies. That was in Acapulco and they booked with Carnival.

Hopefully someone that has personal experience will pop in and let you know for sure....but I'd say if Carnival is offering it there's probably a good chance there are babies to be released. There may not be enough for everyone, but even if one person gets to release one baby that's considered good enough to say 'and you might get an opportunity to release a baby turtle back into the sea' to Carnival. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

its the only one in acapulco..

the cruiseline should offer it , if not you can take a cab there, its about 30 minutes away from the terminal in acapulco,

its free admission, they just ask for donations.

we paid 40$ each for this , and it would have been much cheaper to do it on our own.

they call it Sea Turtle Rescue Center ..

it was nice, our daughter who was 5 loved it ..

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Brand new to this site and I'm still wondering if there are sea turtle releases in February. My husband and I are crusing on the Carnival Spirit in mid February and I'd really like to do that excursion (via cab of course since it's cheaper;) ) Thanks.

Sorry, I still can't help you on your February question.

We stayed next to the Mayto Turtle Encampment (hours South of PV in no mans land) in early April for a week. There were turtles everywhere and it appeared they had been there for quite some time, protecting and releasing prior to our arrival.

We also were in Zihua in October and turtles, turtles, everywhere. After these two experiences, I just didn't think there was a "turtle season" or never thought to ask.

You may want to contact some hotels in PV or Punta Mita and see if they do a turtle protection and release program. Several hotels in Zihua do it as a benefit to their guests. The best part is....it's free to anyone walking on the beach the night they decide to release. It's usually done at night so birds of prey are not combing the shores picking off the little guys. For those going to Zihua, I know Villa Del Sol, Club Intrawest and Paty's Mira Mar all had turtle pens on La Ropa.

Archived