Joe's Stone Crab South Beach

romy

I understand Joe's opens around 10/13 and we'll be staying in Miami on 10/18 pre-cruise. I'm told it's out of this world and not to be missed. The last time I had stone crab I practically needed stitches:eek: , but I understand they crack 'em pretty good for you.

Any experience?

Thanks!

Happy Sails!

Romy:)

I understand Joe's opens around 10/13 and we'll be staying in Miami on 10/18 pre-cruise. I'm told it's out of this world and not to be missed. The last time I had stone crab I practically needed stitches:eek: , but I understand they crack 'em pretty good for you.

Any experience?

Thanks!

Happy Sails!

Hi Romy, Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants in South Beach. We almost always dine there every time we are in town. Get the medium sized platter... YUMMMMMM :D

The claws come pre-cracked..;)

Don't miss it. But mediums are too small. Selects are the best value. Start off with their signature cole slaw, and get sides of hash browns and creamed spinach. Key lime pie for dessert. Get there when they open to avoid a long wait, although early in the season, it's not too bad. Consider going for lunch too, Tues - Sat only, never a wait. Avoid the expensive drinks at the bar.

http://www.joesstonecrab.com

Thanks Nan and Howard!!! Great info. Now I'm completely starved so the medium probably won't do it:eek: . We're arriving in Miami at 2p on Thur. the 18th and plan to check into the Biscayne Bay Marriott, quick change and grab a cab over there. Probably looking at 5 or 6 at the latest. Is this a good time to beat the dinner crowd?

I have a friend here in Denver who is from Miami and said exactly what you said about the sides, KLP, etc.

I'm going to check out the website you provided Howard, thanks again.

Happy Sails!

Any experience?

Thanks!

Happy Sails!

It is definately not to be missed...but be aware that the wait times are long. If you don't want to wait for a table, go to the take out area and take it back to your hotel.

• 10 months later...

I'm bring this old thread back to life because I have a couple of questions about Joe's and the area....

We will also be in Miami one night in mid-November pre-cruise. We were thinking of grabbing a taxi from our hotel (Best Western in North Bay Village) and heading to South Beach to wander around, explore and shop, ultimately ending up at Joe's for dinner.

Here are the questions:

1. Where would the best place be to have the taxi drop us off to begin this sightseeing/shopping 'quest'?

and

2. Will there be any problem getting a taxi back to the hotel from Joe's?

Thanks!

I'm bring this old thread back to life because I have a couple of questions about Joe's and the area....

We will also be in Miami one night in mid-November pre-cruise. We were thinking of grabbing a taxi from our hotel (Best Western in North Bay Village) and heading to South Beach to wander around, explore and shop, ultimately ending up at Joe's for dinner.

Here are the questions:

1. Where would the best place be to have the taxi drop us off to begin this sightseeing/shopping 'quest'?

and

2. Will there be any problem getting a taxi back to the hotel from Joe's?

Thanks!

Hi,

Have the taxi drop you off near Lincoln Road. (Lots of shops in the area) and within walking distance to Joe's. You should not have a problem getting a taxi to take you back to your hotel, especially from Joe's or Lincoln Road.:)

Don't miss it. But mediums are too small. Selects are the best value. Start off with their signature cole slaw, and get sides of hash browns and creamed spinach. Key lime pie for dessert. Get there when they open to avoid a long wait, although early in the season, it's not too bad. Consider going for lunch too, Tues - Sat only, never a wait. Avoid the expensive drinks at the bar.

Hi,

As far as I know, Joe's Stone Crabs now opens year long with a special "summer menu". We ate there a few weeks ago. It was fabulous. On a Saturday night and for the first time since we have been going there, there was no wait. They took us to a table as soon as we arrived.

One word of advise, careful when ordering side dishes, they are huge, two and three people can eat from one. I agree, Key Lime Pie is not to be missed! It is simply fantastic.

Hi,

Have the taxi drop you off near Lincoln Road. (Lots of shops in the area) and within walking distance to Joe's. You should not have a problem getting a taxi to take you back to your hotel, especially from Joe's or Lincoln Road.:)

Lincoln Road at what cross street? We love to walk, especially after being cooped up in a plane all morning!

Lincoln Road to Joes is a bit over 1.5 miles ... how walkable that is in South Beach is debateable.

I like stone crab .... I don't like paying Joe's prices for it. But I understand some like the 'event' of eating there. But when I eat a Bern's in Tampa (an "event" meal) I feel I was treated well even if I'm a very occasional visitor....

Your choice...but like I said...Lincoln to Joe's is 1.5 miles and I wouldn't do it after dark....and I'd know where I was going.

Lincoln Road to Joes is a bit over 1.5 miles ... how walkable that is in South Beach is debateable.

...but like I said...Lincoln to Joe's is 1.5 miles and I wouldn't do it after dark....and I'd know where I was going.

Really? It's not a safe walk after dark? The 1.5 miles isn't a big deal, but if it's not safe, that might be an issue....

I am addicted to Travel shows on TV, and South Beach always looks 'bustling', especially after dark! Is there a particular 'section' of the walk that is an area of concern? Also, keep in mind, we live in Los Angeles, so we are careful, no matter where we are; it's a habit!

Really? It's not a safe walk after dark? The 1.5 miles isn't a big deal, but if it's not safe, that might be an issue....

I am addicted to Travel shows on TV, and South Beach always looks 'bustling', especially after dark! Is there a particular 'section' of the walk that is an area of concern? Also, keep in mind, we live in Los Angeles, so we are careful, no matter where we are; it's a habit!

when last I was there...and I used to work a few blocks from there....Joes was off the strip. So to walk from Linc' Road to Joes...while you might think 1.5 miles ain't much (and I might agree with u), you might find yourself encountering a block or two of unlit....not "the strip"

Plug up the addresses....Joes ain't on the strip, lest it has moved......

There is the South Beach Shuttle (or whatever it's called) that will pick you up close to Joe's and would take you up to the Lincoln Rd area. It's about a quarter pp.

Mike

South Beach is a pretty safe area both, during day as well as at night time. One and a half miles is within walking distance for most people who want to walk around. The area around Joe Stonecrabs is very well lit and there are lots of people around. Of course, just like in any other major city, you should be aware of your surroundings. Coming from Los Angeles, I am sure that you know what I am talking about, however if you still do not feel safe, you can always take a cab from Lincoln Road to Joe's.

Joe's Stone Crab is expensive (in my opinion) - be prepared for high prices but it's South Beach, right??

In all reality, it is well known as a top of the line seafood restaurant, therefore the term "high prices" is relative. The ambiance as well as the service are fabulous. The quality of their seafood is excellent, and I agree, it is located in South Beach!

Sorry, this is NOT near lincoln road..it's on the most far end of south beach..I would not advise walking at night..for other reasons than safety.

Take a cab. If you are stuffed after you won't want to walk.

If it were me, I'd go there either during dinner or go to Joe's takeout for a takeout box and go sit by the beach..which you could walk to from Joe's..those were featured on the Food Network channel not too long ago.

The purpose of eating there is more to "say you did it" rather than the crabs, IMO. You can get stone crabs many places, for Joe's your paying mostly for the name. No place to me is worth waiting 3 hours in line for on a Saturday night.

Our flight arrives in Miami at about 2:30-ish (hopefully). I figure we'll get to the hotel around 3:30-ish (again, keeping my fingers crossed).

My plan is to head out right away in a taxi to Lincoln Road and wander slowly in a 'southernly' direction sightseeing, eventually ending up at Joe's somewhere around 7:00 or so (we won't be wandering around aimlessly late at night with that 'confused tourist' look on our faces!).

I don't have a problem waiting for a table if/when there is a line), then taking a taxi back to the hotel after dinner.

Think this works?

Our flight arrives in Miami at about 2:30-ish (hopefully). I figure we'll get to the hotel around 3:30-ish (again, keeping my fingers crossed).

My plan is to head out right away in a taxi to Lincoln Road and wander slowly in a 'southernly' direction sightseeing, eventually ending up at Joe's somewhere around 7:00 or so (we won't be wandering around aimlessly late at night with that 'confused tourist' look on our faces!).

I don't have a problem waiting for a table if/when there is a line), then taking a taxi back to the hotel after dinner.

Think this works?

I think it sounds terrific.

Just to clarify, I never said that Joe's is on Lincoln Road. It is about 1.5 miles away at the very, very start of South Beach. If at any time, you were not to feel comfortable walking towards Joe's, you could catch a cab from Lincoln Road. (It should not be expensive at all), or consider the smaller shuttle that the other poster mentioned before.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time and enjoy it!

Following is a link to Mapquest showing the route from Lincoln Road and Collins Ave. to Joe's on Washington Ave., which is at the very end of South Beach... http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-eH*Yp1TCAbo2

It is a long walk, and as you get farther downtown, the neighborhood is less desireable.... ;)

It will be easy to get a cab from Joe's.

I don't think it is a mile and a half from Lincoln Road to Joe's, but it could be. I also don't think you will face a very long wait in mid November. Lincoln Road is between 16th & 17th Streets, and Joe's is basically at Zero (Biscayne St), so your walk is at most 20 blocks allowing for eastery movement. Lincoln Road goes as far east as Collins Avenue, go south on Collins to about 14th, then east to Ocean Drive. This is a colorful walk, and I would not hesitate for one minute to do it. Continue on Ocean Drive all the way to Biscayne Street, then turn right 2 blocks to Washington. You won't miss Joe's right on the corner.

Tried to edit the above, but it didn't take. Here is a more accurate post.

Joe's is at 11 Washington Ave, just north of South Pointe Dr. which used to be known as Biscayne St. Google maps puts the distance from One Lincoln Road at 1.8 miles. Personally, I might have my big meal at Joe's, then walk it off. You will not have any problem finding cabs at either Joe's or just off Lincoln Road. But if you want to start at Lincoln Road, I suggest you get dropped off on Alton Road, at the western end of Lincoln Road Mall, then stroll the mall to the eastern terminus of Lincoln Road at Collins Avenue. Head south a few blocks to maybe 14th Street, then turn east (left) to Ocean Drive. Continue south on Ocean Drive all the way to South Pointe Drive, or First St., then west (right) 2 blocks to Washington Avenue. You can't miss Joe's.

Naturally you should be aware of your surroundings, but not for one second would I hesitate to make this walk.

My little place is at fifth and collins..not too far from Joe's at all..

I still do not advise walking there.

I don't think it is a mile and a half from Lincoln Road to Joe's, but it could be. I also don't think you will face a very long wait in mid November. Lincoln Road is between 16th & 17th Streets, and Joe's is basically at Zero (Biscayne St), so your walk is at most 20 blocks allowing for eastery movement. Lincoln Road goes as far east as Collins Avenue, go south on Collins to about 14th, then east to Ocean Drive. This is a colorful walk, and I would not hesitate for one minute to do it. Continue on Ocean Drive all the way to Biscayne Street, then turn right 2 blocks to Washington. You won't miss Joe's right on the corner.

Archived