Hurricane Frances Graphics

We are back home on Merritt Island.

Many thanks to those of you who sent thoughts and prayers and posted information while Frances made her journey through the Sunshine State.

Our home is just fine.

Lost most of a large tree, some fence, a porch light.

Gas is scarce, scarce, scarce.

Melbourne along US1 doens't look nearly as bad as it looked in the Newscasts we saw in Tampa.

Think we will leave plywood on windows until IVAN makes his intentions a bit clearer.

:)

Tori,

I just heard from her! She went over to the beach and is staying at a new hotel next to the old Panama Hattie's. She left her condo yesterday morning after spending 12 hours with no power and no air. She will stay there till Fri at least, or until her power gets back on. A friend of mine over on the island said it may be this weekend before the power gets back on to most of St. Johns County.

Keep me posted if you hear or know of anything else!!! At least I know she is ok. SHe said she had charged her cell phone the day before the hurricane hit, but when she turned it on, it wouldn't work. Maybe time for a new phone?? :cool:

Thanks for your help!

we still have no cell service here...how annoying. my regular phones are still not working yet either. the dsl works, but not the phones...go figure...

my neighbors still don;t have power. i'm inviting them to hang here while i'm at work so they can have some a/c for awhile.

lots of traffic lights are out so driving is scarey. watched a 3 car pile up the other day and stopped to call 911 for them. one guys was pretty hurt. all 3 cars were totaled. the people behind me wouldn't move, so i got out of my car in the pouring rain and started waving them out of the way. what jerks! they wanted to stay and look!!! the emt guys hugged me for standing in the rain and helping them. how could i not??? the morons i had to scream at to move were looking at me like i grew a second head...what dummies!

hopefully there won't be anymore of those today.....

i'll check back when i get home from work...

by the way...heads up for ivan...he's a cat4 and south forida is in that freakin' error zone again, so pay attentioin to him!!!!! the weather guys this morning said we're not out of trouble with hm just yet...

Very strange about the phones! Some cells work, some don't; some land lines work and some don't. All with in the same general area of St. Augustine. I wonder if a cell tower could be down?

Maybe we should resort to smoke signals????? :rolleyes: ;)

The reason for the intermittent service on cellular equipment could be due to a trunk line being down that services a 'switch' or grouping of towers. With all of the flying debris and the heavy wind in general, it wouldn't surprise me if there are a number of towers with damaged spans as well.

Well after 8 days of no electricity we finally are back to the norm. I went out to run an errand and imagine my surprise when I walked in the house and the ceiling fans were running..happy day for me let me tell you.

I know that FPL has been working around the clock to get us up and running but I don't think I have ever been so grateful to walk into a cool house !!

I hate it for those who are going to experience Ivan and I hope it moves across them quickly as Frances did not..it was like pulling teeth. And I live in Stuart where they eye went across and let me tell you know dark it is when the eye is crossing over...very creepy.

But we are alive and safe and hope everyone else in S. FL made out ok as well

Archived