If there is a price drop

does your TA lose money? When I asked our TA if we would be able to take advantage of price drops if we booked through her, she said "If they allow it". I have to pay her a booking fee, and after I questioned her about this she was a little defensive. I explained that some TA's give OBC also, and as I am planning another cruise with other family members next year for which we will need two cabins, I wanted to make sure I was getting the best deal I could. She cut her booking fee by $100, but made me sign an agreement that said cancellation fees would be up to $150 pp!!. I wondered if their commission is decreased if clients take advantage of the price drop, and if that influences whether they "allow" it.

does your TA lose money? When I asked our TA if we would be able to take advantage of price drops if we booked through her, she said "If they allow it". I have to pay her a booking fee, and after I questioned her about this she was a little defensive. I explained that some TA's give OBC also, and as I am planning another cruise with other family members next year for which we will need two cabins, I wanted to make sure I was getting the best deal I could. She cut her booking fee by $100, but made me sign an agreement that said cancellation fees would be up to $150 pp!!. I wondered if their commission is decreased if clients take advantage of the price drop, and if that influences whether they "allow" it.

I am not sure if they "loose" money. But I certainly would ask questions before you book next time. There are many good agents that do not charge a cancellation fee at all and 150.00 is about the highest I have ever heard. :)

I wouldn't use this agent again, the way you described what's going on. You should be able to request the lower price credit before your final payment for sure. And it shouldn't have anything to do with their cancellation fee. That amount is ridiculous to me. There are too many good agents out there that will do more to keep your business.

If there is a price drop then yes, your TA loses money as their commission is based on the base price of your cruise. That being said, your TA is charging some outrageous fees. I am an agent, and no one I know in our business is charging like that. Most don't even charge a booking fee except for air only since the airlines don't pay commission. Did you sign an agreement that cancellation fees are $150 each on top of the cancellation fees charged by the cruise line? If they don't "allow" the price drop, then change agents. I hope you didn't book next years cruise yet.

Agents like this give the rest of us a bad name :eek:

I have not booked next year's cruise yet. I was thinking of just booking on our upcoming cruise for the OBC as long as the price doesnt go up before then. We will also be Platinum level by then and I hope to get a balcony discount. The TA said I could then transfer the booking to her. I have actually needed her to work on this last cruise because I decided to change to a different cabin category. She's very nice, it's the agency she works for that is the stinker. I do like having a TA to check in with about things but I guess I should ask around and find another for the next trip. Thanks for all the input.:)

• 2 weeks later...

My mom is a TA, and usually she either lowers the price or finds a way to upgrade her travelers. I know that one of her clients were booked in a low level OV, and by the time the cruise had dropped several times, they were in a balcony. It may also depend on the CL you are on.

We are booked on a Cel. Hawaii cruise and when the price dropped, it was not enough to move up to balcony, so we have a lower rate.

Archived