NCL Card- no bonus points if via agency...

snake114

In the past I had always booked directly through NCL with their card, and had no issues with getting the extra bonus points for these NCL purchases. On my most recent booking, though, the cruise was booked through an online agency. Bank of America is only willing to give the regular 3% for this cruise, not the 4% ncl "Bonus", saying that this bonus ONLY applies to payments made directly to NCL (and showing as an NCL charge on the CC statement). This was verified by two levels of supervisors....

It would have been nice if this had been made clear in the CC program materials..... I was under the impression that it would apply regardless of whether I booked direct or with an agency.

I guess this is an added incentive to book direct with NCL, as you would "save" (earn) an extra 1%.

most agencies have the charge made through NCL, your agency for whatever reason must put the charge through as if they charged it(so it shows up on BofA as X agency) and not NCL and then they cut a check separately, why they would do this I don't know. If that is the case no bonus points. I think this is an anomaly with the agency and not with either NCL or the Bof A card. I book through an agency and always get the bonus points as it is charged through NCL.

My guess is that the online agency is prebuying rooms and then selling them at a discounted rate rather than truly working as a TA. This would mean they are paying NCL up front and then selling the rooms they prebought to cruisers.

My guess is that the online agency is prebuying rooms and then selling them at a discounted rate rather than truly working as a TA. This would mean they are paying NCL up front and then selling the rooms they prebought to cruisers.

good point I forgot about that one. or as part of a group that they are paying at one time...BTW there isn't anything wrong with this its just different but as long as it doesn't show up as an NCL charge no bonus and nothing that NCL has done wrong.

Did you call the agency and ask them to reverse the first charge and put through as NCL?

We booked a cruise from an on-line travel agency last January. It also came through my NCL charge without the NCL name. I had called the credit card company and the person I talked with said they had no way of knowing that it was an NCL Cruise and if I would fax them copies of my receipts they would credit the bonus points to my account. I faxed them and received the bonus points on the next billing statement. Maybe they've changed their policies since then...... I hope not. You might try calling them again and see if they'll let you fax your receipts. It's unfortunate that we don't know when we book through an outside agency if it will be billed through NCL. Good Luck!

Checked w/ NCL- reservation is paid in full, so the agency is not holding my money. Charge was made at the correct time. While I know that we cannot mention names, this is one of the LARGE cruise agencies that regularly advertises on this site......

A reputable TA will tell you that you are now part of a group cruise.

A "group cruise" has consquences....

If you cancel - there may be charges...

If you cancel - It may take 3 to 6 billing cycles to get your credit...

We had this happen once and the agency included us in a group without telling us. When the price dropped we were not eligible for the reduction and the on-line agency had a cancellation charge even though NCL didn't so we were stuck with it.

RED FLAG!

You know when someone goes to the agency that has a "special" price there tends to be a reason. A reputable agency may or may not tell you that its a prepaid room where they have bought and paid for the rooms and now they are selling out of their own inventory and/or entering you into a group. There are a lot of new bees here whose knowledge is suspect. You need to ask the agency as to what is going on. You can always charge back the credit card if it is some confidence game(a la ponzi). The credit card will be holding the bag not you although you may not get on the ship. Ask the agency. If you were just billed you have 60 days to dispute it with the credit card company(in writing).

there is a lot of speculation and name calling here which may or may not be justified but some of the reasons are just bs.

Nothing nefarious going on with the agency...!!!! The reservation was originally booked direct with NCL, and mostly paid for with bonus reward/CC points. I transferred the reservation to the agency to take advantage of one of their specials, but kept my room assignment- not added to any group block of rooms. The final balance was just a couple hundred dollars, and that was the charge from agency that showed up under their name on th statement and ended up not being eligible for bonus points. I checked with NCL, and the final payment was sent to them in a timely manner.

In summery, no problem with the travel agency. Just wanted to alert folks that if you do go through an agency and the charges appear in the agencies name, you will not get your NCL bonus points.

Archived