WW II Museum In New Orleans, LA

UPCrawfish

A 4 star recommendation if you are ever in New Orleans, Louisiana

WW II Museum

945 Magazine St. @ Andrew Higgins Dr.

504-527-6012

www.NationalWW2Museum.org

(From the brochure)

"Founded in 2000 as the National D-D Museum and now designated by Congress as the country's official World War II Museum, this remarkable institution illuminates the American experience during the World War II years with moving personal stories, historic artifacts and powerful interactive displays.. from the Normandy invasion to the Pacific Islands and the Home Front, the Museum brings to life the teamwork, optimism, courage and sacrifice of the men and women who won the war and changed the world. The museum is an incomparable experience for the entire family and now to be missed on any visit to New Orleans, Louisiana."

My wife and I, along with 4 other couples are now in New Orleans and have been for a few days.

Today our group went to the WWII museum and spent almost 5 hours slowly going thru every exhibit, stopping and listening to the personal oral histories of those who were there at the time and may not be with us now. Looking at the photos which you will most likely never see in a book and TV story. Some were quite intense and there are disclaimers before you enter the museum display areas that parents with small children should be aware of the images they may see.

There are 2 films that run about 50 minutes each and alternate back and forth. One is of the European Theater, the other the Pacific Theater. The docents in the museum recommend you watch these films before you enter either segment of the museum to get a general view of what you will be seeing in greater detail. The films are NOT "hollywood". These are actual combat photography with oral interviews of the people who were taking part in the actions being shown.

Two members of our group were in tears before they left. One father was in Europe and was know to have fought in the Battle of the Bulge. The other father had been in the Pacific. Neither of these friends of mine were ever told by their parents what they had seen, what they had experienced, what they had endured to come home to Louisiana and raise a family. They had gone to their graves with their stories untold..

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you make this a part of your visit to New Orleans if you ever cruise out of this port and have time on either end.

I have been to that museum. It is wonderful. It was one of the high points of my trip to New Orleans.

One thing that I felt was especially interesting was the section on all the D-day type landing in a Pacific Theater. We never hear about most of them.

I was worried that it might havr been damaged in Katrina. I am glad that it is OK.

DON

Archived