Single Supplement

can't hardly wait

Yes, I've done it a few times. You don't pay double exactly, you save the taxes and fees for a second person. So if the cabin was $500 + $55 taxes PP based on double occupancy, a single person in the cabin would usually pay $1000 + $55.

If cost is an issue, check around on here and book yourself a category 1A with a porthole if its available on the ship you want.

On most cruiselines cabin prices are for double occupany. So you'll have to pay more than just your share than if you were rooming with someone.

For instance, my sis-in-law is travelling with us next month and got her own room. She had to pay for double occupancy, but at a slightly lower price than the total for double person occupany. Not sure how the cruiselines calculate this amount.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Maybe I shouldn't be so adamant about having a cabin to myself. :rolleyes:

Decide what you're willing to pay, decide the minimum you want for a cabin, then do some research and decide if it's worth the extra to have your own cabin. For me, I usually travel solo so rather then try to find a travel companion, I will adapt according to my budget. The first time I went solo, I had an ocean view but got a good deal on it. My second time I treated myself to a balcony, for my Christmas cruise I'm getting a 1A with a couple portholes.

For you, you have a travel companion so you could get a pretty nice cabin if you share. How much is your privacy worth to you for the amount of time you will be in your cabin?

Your price is calculated on three things: Cruise fare, Non-commisionable fare and taxes. There is no such thing as port charges but many TA's still call the NCF port charges.

Anyway, with Carnival a single cruiser will pay 200% of the cruisefare plus NCF and taxes. When it would be booked as a double each person would pay cruisefare, NCF and taxes so that's why a single cruiser doesn't pay double...they only pay one set of NCF and tax.

On some ships you can book a 1A cabin at 150% of the cruisefare plus the NCF and tax. It is capacity controlled and just depends on the ship and availability. That doesn't mean if a 1A is available, it means that Carnival can limit the number of cabins they sell at this price.

Hope that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished going thru this unfair policy by Carnival. I was on a Cruise on Carnival in May and this was not the case for Single Occ. cabins. Carnival is looking to make a little extra money. I have cruised Carnival 10 times and was treated like Sh__ from their marketing department. They are blaming the Florida Attorney Generals Office for this policy. I contacted the office to file a complaint. Other Cruise Critic Members do the same!

http://myfloridalegal.com/

Bob:(

Your price is calculated on three things: Cruise fare, Non-commisionable fare and taxes. There is no such thing as port charges but many TA's still call the NCF port charges.

Anyway, with Carnival a single cruiser will pay 200% of the cruisefare plus NCF and taxes. When it would be booked as a double each person would pay cruisefare, NCF and taxes so that's why a single cruiser doesn't pay double...they only pay one set of NCF and tax.

On some ships you can book a 1A cabin at 150% of the cruisefare plus the NCF and tax. It is capacity controlled and just depends on the ship and availability. That doesn't mean if a 1A is available, it means that Carnival can limit the number of cabins they sell at this price.

Hope that makes sense.

Other Cruise Critic Members do the same!

Why? Carnival is a commercial enterprise in a non-essential industry, they can charge what they want. Why would the Gov't care?

You don't like the price of something you shop elsewhere, you don't call the cops. :rolleyes:

Archived