Journey Is A Sick Ship

horseplayer

On my way home now. Many on this cruise have been sick. They blame a NOROVIRUS, I vomitted all over the first tee at Port Royal GC and got quaratinted to my room for 48 hours ruining the trip. While imprisoned, the treatment from the crew was horrible. They sent me no food and when I asked I got cold rice and chicken. This ship is a nightmare from the get go. It is not clean at all. I looked at the old NCL ship as we were leaving Hamilton today and wish I had chosen that boat. My friend on board was also very ill. Many left the boat and chose to fly home. If you have a future trip planned on this floating sewer I suggest cancelling whatever the cost. Bayonne will never look so good to me. To say I am mad at the treatment I have received is an understatement.

HP

I was on Mercury a couple of years back during one of the worse bouts of NORO in Celebrities history..Fortunately non of my party became ill.

I know what you are going through, However blaming the ship or the cruiseline is not the correct venue to follow.

Noro is basically a bad stomache flu transmitted through fecal matter and vomit....

The best way not to come down with it is to wash your hands frequently in hot soapy water and don't touch your eyes, face or mouth if you have not washed your hands.

The easiest way to transmit this through the entire ship, even if you are careful and do wash after going to the restroom, is by touching the door handle. After washing take a tissue, or paper towel and open the door. This will lessen your chance as there are MANY that do not wash thier hands after going to the bathroom.

On the cruise I was on there was a man in the restrrom vomiting his brains out, I asked if I should get him help, he verbally assalted me, and then fled from the bathroom with vomit still on his clothing......I informed the staff immediately after scubbing my hands and carefully opening the door.

Unfortunately there are SO many inconsiderate people out there.

As for a sick ship. Many of the staff are european, or South American. Their system have already developed an immunity to this illness. As CDC reports state usually it 5 or 6 crew members to 400 passenger that are sick. So its not a sick ship, its a sick passenger or passengers that may have contacted this in Bermuda...the incubation is 24 to 48 hours.

Treatment: Confinement to cabin for at least 48 hrs. Lots of fluids, and small amounts of bland food.

The people who chose not to stay in their cabins on the cruise I was on were actually left in Mexico to get home at their own expense. I applaud Celebrity for that because it could have made things worse.

As for flying home, that is even worse. How many times during a flight do you see anyone cleaning a restoom? They don't. At least on a ship they do regularly.

While I understand your anger, I have to tell you it needs to be aimed at the person or people that brought this on, not the cruiseline.

Calling the ship a sewer is very unfair. Think back to make sure you washed your hands every thing you went in to a public restroom, or before you ate. Usually in the end its the unforunate victums fault for not being more careful.

As for cancelling, I doubt thats necessary...Just be vigialnt of what you are doing. Wash your hands frequently, and don't touch common surfaces with out washing your hands, or steralizing them before eating.

Dave:eek:

Horseplayer, I am so sorry to hear of your illness and fated cruise. You're right.... home will never look so good as it will on Saturday morning.

I am wondering if the automatic hand sanitizers have been placed at all the restaurants entrances yet ? On the 8/25 cruise, all we had were wet wipes from a large container ( on a small side table) which most people tended to ignore or maybe just not see.

On our comment card, we said lack of hand sanitizers could result in a major health problem. Seems as if their absence may have come back to bite them. I am only assuming they are not installed yet......

Never had the nasty bug but from what I hear you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. :eek:

Certainly hope the virus will be closely contained to as few passengers as possible.

Keep well hydrated !

I was on Mercury a couple of years back during one of the worse bouts of NORO in Celebrities history..Fortunately non of my party became ill.

I know what you are going through, However blaming the ship or the cruiseline is not the correct venue to follow.

Noro is basically a bad stomache flu transmitted through fecal matter and vomit....

The best way not to come down with it is to wash your hands frequently in hot soapy water and don't touch your eyes, face or mouth if you have not washed your hands.

The easiest way to transmit this through the entire ship, even if you are careful and do wash after going to the restroom, is by touching the door handle. After washing take a tissue, or paper towel and open the door. This will lessen your chance as there are MANY that do not wash thier hands after going to the bathroom.

On the cruise I was on there was a man in the restrrom vomiting his brains out, I asked if I should get him help, he verbally assalted me, and then fled from the bathroom with vomit still on his clothing......I informed the staff immediately after scubbing my hands and carefully opening the door.

Unfortunately there are SO many inconsiderate people out there.

As for a sick ship. Many of the staff are european, or South American. Their system have already developed an immunity to this illness. As CDC reports state usually it 5 or 6 crew members to 400 passenger that are sick. So its not a sick ship, its a sick passenger or passengers that may have contacted this in Bermuda...the incubation is 24 to 48 hours.

Treatment: Confinement to cabin for at least 48 hrs. Lots of fluids, and small amounts of bland food.

The people who chose not to stay in their cabins on the cruise I was on were actually left in Mexico to get home at their own expense. I applaud Celebrity for that because it could have made things worse.

As for flying home, that is even worse. How many times during a flight do you see anyone cleaning a restoom? They don't. At least on a ship they do regularly.

While I understand your anger, I have to tell you it needs to be aimed at the person or people that brought this on, not the cruiseline.

Calling the ship a sewer is very unfair. Think back to make sure you washed your hands every thing you went in to a public restroom, or before you ate. Usually in the end its the unforunate victums fault for not being more careful.

As for cancelling, I doubt thats necessary...Just be vigialnt of what you are doing. Wash your hands frequently, and don't touch common surfaces with out washing your hands, or steralizing them before eating.

Thanks Dave. I am sailing on the Journey on Sat. the 29th. Your mail made me feel much better. I think that Horseplayer got a little carried away as evidenced by his words like "imprisioned." I work in a hospital so handwashing (lots of it) comes as second nature to me. You give great advice. Thanks again.

Nancy

I think we all have to remember that we are now in the beginning of flu season. Anytime you are in a confined area with lots of people you are going to get outbreaks of illness. The fact that Azamara is doing it's best to control the situation makes me feel better not worse. I feel sorry for the poor people on the planes that had to fly with anyone so inconsiderate as to fly home with a bad flu.

It can't be stated often enough that the best defense is to wash your hands with hot soapy water often. This is better than anything else you can choose to do. Push the elevator buttons with your elbow and do not grab the handrails if you do not need to. We tend to put our hands to our face a lot more than we realize. I work with children all day and believe me in a school you learn to wash hands often. Now is the time the little darlings all come to school with colds and flu's because the parents don't want to stay home with them. Your best defense is a good offense.

I sail in a week and hope to have a great time in Bermuda. I also plan on washing my hands a lot!!!!

horseplayer: hope you have a speedy recovery...so sorry to hear of your illness..yes home will never look so good to you. I was ill on my cruise last year and just wanted to be back home to recover.

I am sailing saturday on journey and was wondering if anyone knows if this will likely cause a delay in embarkation? Hope that doesn't sound selfish, but i would imagine they would want to sanitize the ship before allowing other passengers to board, and would like to be prepared.

thanks,

jane

:cool:I won't repeat all that has been said, but almost all ships have hand sanitizer stations at boarding, restaurant entrances, etc. The problem is many passengers don't use the liquid or the wipes being offered. All ships should enforce use.

"If you don't use this sanitation station, you are not allowed to enter."

That's the quote I'd like to hear.

A few feathers ruffled perhaps, but lots of money saved by the ships in the long run.

I continue to be fascinated by people who feel that they have no personal responsibility for themselves. I continue to see postings where " the ship should do more", or the "ship should enforce X, Y, Z".

People, the cause of Norovirus and its method of spread are well established; as are the techniques of protecting one-self: wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Use the hand-sanitizer options as provided by the ships ( the buffet will not run out of food in the 10-15 seconds that you will use to disenfect your hands), and take reasonable precautions. If you are sick when you get on the ship, don't.

Also, don't forget to follow the same procedures to protect yourself in Airports, restaurants, etc. on the way to the ship, you probably are at greater risk there.

Above all, take responsibilty for yourself. When was the last time someone washed your hands for you??

Ca suffict!

No automatic hand sanitizers, although now they have crew handing out purell sheets all over the place and cleaning like mad. Seems a little late. They are all apologetic about stranding me to starve and feeding me dog food. The food in the dining rooms is ok, the room service food is horrid. I was my hands constantly, did not work, I still got sick.

hp

I am still on the ship, they seem to have contained the problem. They are cleaning like mad. When I got on this ship I noticed how dirty things were, dirty glasses at the beveredge stations, our bathroom in has other peoples hair all over the place, just grimy. Now they react cuz a bunch of us puke. Be VERY CAREFUL and wash, wash, wash, maybe get a bottle of sanitizer for yourself and hopefully no one on your trip brings it on board again.

hp

Even if their system has developed an immunity to this illness the staff cannot be discounted as being responsible for passing the illness to the passengers.

The staff conditions on board cruise ships are notorious for not being extremely sanitary. The hygiene of staff from third world countries leaves alot to be desired. Perhaps the focus, besides on passengers properly washing etc, should also be on the staff. It has been stated before that there seems to be a higher incidence of Noro on Celebrity than on some of the other lines. Makes you wonder if the staff supervisors are not doing their job properly.

The hygiene of staff from third world countries leaves alot to be desired. Perhaps the focus, besides on passengers properly washing etc, should also be on the staff.

Agreed, but I'm not too impressed with 1st world hygiene either. Been in a public restroom in the U.S. lately? By my estimates, about half of the men zip up and walk straight out the door. If my hands go anywhere near my crotch or butt, I wash them. If only everyone else felt the same way...

This is a good reminder for all of us, cruise ship or not.

Here's a link to outbreaks.....Celebrity outbreaks are minimal compared to other lines.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm#2007

Isaac: washing is ALWAYS a good thing, however if you have showered and don't pee on you hands...Its highly unlikely that you will transmit anything unless you have a sexually transmitted disease. Now #2 is a different story...ALWAYS wash regardless.

Absolutely correct, Isaac. Two of the cleanest restrooms that I have seen in the past year were in Turkey and Ecuador. Two of the dirtiest where at JFK and LAX.

I carry my own hand sanitizer with me essentially at all times and I use it. I find it to be very cheap insurance and that way I am not dependent on anyone else including the ships "automatic" ones.

This disease is spread by hand to mouth contact; you are unlikely to get it if you keep your hands clean and keep them out of your mouth.....

Isaac: washing is ALWAYS a good thing, however if you have showered and don't pee on you hands...Its highly unlikely that you will transmit anything unless you have a sexually transmitted disease. Now #2 is a different story...ALWAYS wash regardless.Dave:eek:

Yes, I think we've all thought, "my junk is cleaner than anything in that bathroom" at some point or another. Disease transmission aside, not washing is gross. I wouldn't touch a stranger's genitals directly (diseased or not) and I prefer not to via a door knob or handshake. As you stated, "Always wash regardless." The fact that we're even discussing this is ridiculous--it should be a given.

A little off topic, but do you hose your partners down with purall and then spray them with lysol before you get "down" with them?:D

"Hi, your a wonderful person, but I don't know where your hands have been. I don't care where you put what, just make sure you wash you hands first":confused:

One of the reasons we are having SO MANY problems in our society is because we are trying to be TOO clean. Our bodies are not getting the chance to build up natural antibodies. So people get sicker,then use more meds to get better, and then clean more and its a vicious cycle.

Sorry, but even if you can't aim and do pee on your hands ( totally gross ), urine is sterile.

Our thanks to Dave (Bububr) for providing stats to set the record straight on this.

It would appear looking at the 2007 statistics that Celebrity/Royal Caribbean has vastly improved over a dismal 2006 performance. They should be congratulated for their efforts.

That truly sets the record straight.

Archived