tux rental on board

ABSOLUTLY rent! It's easy,don't have to lug it around. Make sure you get measured ,e-mail your sizes to formalwear and it will be in your closet when you board.Any problems...ther'es a tailor on board to help. Have a great time! Bertz

You people are nuts. I would never wear something that a lot of other people have worn before me. You can buy new Tuxedo's for under $100. It really isn't that hard to lug on board either, considering your dear other halves must carry on their formal wear. Would you like your wives to wear used formal gowns??

You people are nuts. I would never wear something that a lot of other people have worn before me. You can buy new Tuxedo's for under $100. It really isn't that hard to lug on board either, considering your dear other halves must carry on their formal wear. Would you like your wives to wear used formal gowns??

We are not talking about used underware or a used mattress here, Besides they are cleaned before your use, What??? you never buy bathing suites? Do you know how many others have tried them on first before you and yes without underware:eek: Bet that will make ya think before you try them on again or any other piece of clothing:rolleyes:

My wife has considered renting a formal gown from the same place. Jag is right..It's not underwear. Besides, I have neve seen a tux where I live for 100.00. Around here they are more like 300-400, unless you buy a used one.

My husband says never again. They are NOT cleaned between wearings. They are only PRESSED, if that. He has a tux but we tried to condense our clothing for a cruise to Europe so he didn't bring it along. Got measured at Gingess Bros., called with measurements, and thought everything would be fine. Tux came to cabin as scheduled. Husband tried it on. Didn't fit. Way too big. Put his hands in the pocket and pulled out a wrinkled napkin that said PRINCESS CRUISES on it. Yuck! Never again will he rent a tux. Got a refund and spent formal nights in the Windjammer . . . had a great time!

You can buy new Tuxedo's for under $100.

I would be afraid to see what the $100.00 tux looks like. Maybe this store prices things like some people we know in the cruise business. Example:

$100.00 for the basic tux

$40.00 for the cuff links and shirt buttons

$25.00 surcharge if want to be able to pick the color and style of the tux.

$50.00 surcharge for fitting

$10.00 tip to the salesperson

$20.00 tip to the seamstress

We used cruiselineformal.com on our 2003 New Year's Cruise for my son and it fit BEAUTIFULLY. It was cleaned and pressed. We didn't have to pack it, unpack it, take care of it, or carry it. We just chucked it back at them after the second formal night. Perfect.

Now that he is at "that age", however, I bit the bullet and bought him one. Proms and cruises are all going to be in his near future. We found a gorgeous one at a local men's store for $200, with no charge for pants hem, which is the only alteration he needed. There's lots of room in pants and cuffs for lengthening, if he needs it, and he's only going to get taller, not wider. (genetic certainty). From now on, we lug. (oh, and we had to buy him a shirt, but he borrows his father's "stuff" {cummerbund, studs, links, tie})

Carol

We don't mind schlepping the formal wear to our cruises. After the second cruise I bought my own on eBay for about $100, including tie, vest, studs, cufflinks (that match my avatar), shoes and shirt (at a local store). After this next cruise, the cost per wearing will be under $30 including the cleanings in between.

Adding to Bicker's list of items we use that have been used by others: Cloth napkins.

Um......those towels in your cabin? Used. Sheets on the bed? Used. Ever rent a car? Someone's unsterilized tush has been on the seat. How about going grocery shopping? Those handles on the cart? Touched by innumerable people, few if any of whom will have recently washed their hands.

You want more?

Carol

Let's get back to OP's original request, ``Would it be better to rent (a tuxedo) or take it from home.''

I had been married to DH for more than 20 years before I ever saw in him a tux - a tux he rented from the same shop our son-in-law and son used for our oldest daughter's wedding. We never worried about who had worn it before, only worried about the occasion it was destined to be worn by our family.

No one got ill from the expierence outside those who drank too much at the reception. Last minute adjustments had to be made on the rented items even though they had been provided by professional tux providers - i.e., a button needed some extra thread, one leg of the pants looked shorter than the other. We fixed it with a sewing kit we took with us and a roll of duct tape.

Few people at the wedding knew about the duct tape and emergency thread repairs outside the wedding party - and the stories we still share about those last minute repairs are part of the bond that continues to keep us all chuckling and remembering the event.

If you have time to purchase formal wear at the right price from E-Bay or thrift shops and have it professionaly cleaned, you've got a bargain. If not,, rent it on board, pack some duct tape for repairs and spray it with Lysol or Febreeze if you're afraid of germs.

Just go and enjoy yourselves. Formal night is a special night you can enjoy together, a bit like going to you're first high school prom!

all you have to do is search under the google search engine for "TUXEDO'S and you will find many web sites that will sell a tuxedo for a $100.00 or less. I got mine at my favorite clothing shop though. If you are looking for accessories you can buy them too. try uniformalwearhouse.com or buy4lessTuxedo.com are just two of the many sites.

I have got to get me some duct tape. I've seen so many useful uses of the stuff that I have to have it!
You mean that you don't have any duct tape?

I carry a roll in the car and keep one in the house. Sent one to son in Baghdad (82d Field Artillery) and gave a roll as a gift (not the only gift) to our grandson for his 3rd birthday.

Try clicking here for 101 Uses for Duct Tape. :D

My DH rented one last year on our NE/Canada trip. He thought it was the best!. And he's doing agin this weeked when we sail on the Mariner( hopefully, keeping an eye on Frances). So he is all set with his formal nights ( he wears his own shoes, socks, and cufflinks,etc.)... meanwhile I am still shopping for a formal dress.. my daughter got hers yesterday, and alterations won't be ready until Friday.. so we are pushing it a little and, hopefully the alterations will come out alright... no, we didn't wait until the last minute, we started 2 weeks ago. Had to wait for that last pre cruise pound to come off.. Then tonight she wanted to know if I would carry it on for her in our long garmet bag.:( . And I am still looking for my formal,,, while preparing for a Hurricane:eek:

So yes, I would say... Rent it

Archived