Heidelburg

emmylou

We are doing the Rhine.One of the optional tours is Heidelburg.Wondering if it is worth not seeing the town we will have to give up to do this tour.Has anyone been there and is it one tour you would do again if given the chance??

emmy

I'm not sure what town you would have to be giving up to do this tour, but I visited Heidelberg a few years back and found it to be a very historic and beautiful little place. The castle is in great condition and is a great place to see, but I don't know if I would be willing to spend hours here. The old town is great with lots of little shops, but it depends on what your interests are. If you're into history and architecture, do it, otherwise, you might want to find something else that peaks your interest in the area.

I love Heidelberg. It's a stunning town, and I'd be perfectly happy to spend a day here, but I could do it under my own steam - wouldn't want to be corraled by a tour.

Whether it's worth giving up whatever else is on offer does depend on what else is on offer.

Although Speyer has a beautiful cathedral and is an important historical city, I personally think Heidelberg is prettier and more interesting. I assume that you're then going to continue cruising down the Rhine towards Koblenz? The river upstream from Mainz is not that interesting, so you would be missing less by going to Heidelberg than you would miss if you jumped ship further downstream.

Wikipedia articles on Heidelberg and Speyer.

Hi emmylou,

I am living about 45 minutes away from Heidelberg.

Most cruise-ships stops for Heidelberg

Heidelberg itself

Mannheim (just 15 minutes with commuter train or 45 minutes by tram)

Speyer (there is a commuter train service or a bus service to Heidelberg)

Worms (train service with transfer in Mannheim)

Mainz is too far from Heidelberg - normally the ships stops closer to one of this points.

Mainz is serving more for

Frankfurt

Rüdesheim

Bingen

Loreley

Wiesbaden.

Heidelberg has a beautful castle and a very nice old town.

So if you have further questions do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi

Our first visit was while doing a Rhine cruise and in fact we have been back quite a few times ( we drive from the UK). We really enjoy Heidelburg the castle is worth a visit and of course there is the shopping. The main street in the old town is approx 1 mile in length. Look out for the St George Hotel opposite the Dom - it has the oldest facade in Heidelburg.

Sue G

First I want to thank all for thier information.

Can anyone tell me how far it is from Speyer to Heidleburg and how far it is from Heidleburg to Mainz. I am trying to figure out how long of a bus ride we will have if we decide to do the optional tour.

emmy

Can anyone tell me how far it is from Speyer to Heidleburg and how far it is from Heidleburg to Mainz. I am trying to figure out how long of a bus ride we will have if we decide to do the optional tour.

emmy

Can anyone tell me how far it is from Speyer to Heidleburg and how far it is from Heidleburg to Mainz.

Speyer to Heidelberg: 40 km (by the fastest road route, although much closer as the crow flies).

Heidelberg to Mainz: 90 km.

emmy

From Speyer you can take the commutertrain

S3 and S4 both are going to Heidelberg

Transit time about 42 minutes.

But I would recommend to use Bus 717 on one way.

It's a transit time of 1.30 hrs but you are passing

SCHWETZINGEN...

It's just beautiful.

From Mainz there are hourly RegionalExpress trains to Mannheim and then from there you have frequent connections by all kind of trains to Heidelberg.

It's about 1.30 hrs transit time.

There are few trains a day (InterCity) which made the tour in 50 minutes. But higher ticket price.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emmylou

The restaurant is good in the St Georges in fact when we visit Heidelburg we always stay at the St Georges and have the same room.

Which markets will you be visiting?

We travel to Germany every 2 years to the christmas market in Rudesheim, visit friends to have the cristmas shop in Boppard and then visit another market. Of course living in Kent we are only an hour from Dover for the ferry but for travel in December to the markets we usually put the car on the train. I must say I get much more in the christmas spirit if I go to the markets and taking the car means we do not have to worry about weight allowances. I just love the atmosphere in the market and the "street" food is wonderful and you must try the gluhwein.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Sue G

Thank you Sue G,

We are really getting excited now are down to days instead of months.How is the weather usually. A lot of rain or snow at the end of Nov. begining Dec time?Is it very cold at that time.We are going to do the Christmas Markets.River cruise is from Basil to Amsterdam.We will have an entire day in Heidelburg and will be sure to look up the St Georges Hotel.

emmy

Hi

The first time we visited at the beginning of December we took thermal underwear and did not need it. I must say most of the time it is not that cold but it can be wet and there could be snow. I would suggest you take layers and then dress accordingly. I must say the only place we found to be really cold was Heidelburg but I think that was due to the wind coming off the river. Whilst there make sure you visit the Kathe Wohlfahrt shop in the main street in the old town they have the most wonderful christmas decorations there is also a branch in Rudesheim next to the cable car station.

Sue G

Archived