Connecting flights to Europe..Connection time allowed?

Ol' Salty Dog

With the airline delays we have today, how much time should be alloted when having to make a connecting flight, either connecting in the USA or connecting in Europe? Most airline schedules I have seen allow about 2 hours, but this seems to me to be a bare minimum. Any advice?

I always try to have at least 3 hrs. between connecting flights especially when flying to Europe. I would rahter sit and wait for my flight than worry about making my flight. I mostly fly BA to Heathrow so allow 3 hrs there.

either connecting in the USA or connecting in Europe?

The OAG publishes minimum connecting time as administered by the International Air Transport Association. Within the US, these times vary by airport and whether it is a domestic to domestic flight or a domestic to International flight. Thus, to answer your question using their data, more information is needed.

While Parody is correct, there is more to it than that.

For one thing, fine out about the on-time record of the flight in question. One way to do this is by going to http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do

On the right side, click on By Flight, then enter the airline (name or code) and the flight number. Click Go. Scroll down to On-time performance for <Airline Code> <Airline Name> <flight number>. Click this and you will useful inforamtion.. not just how often late, but how late. Look around the site, there is lots of intersting and useful information there.

If a flight is often seriously late, then the "connection time" Parody refers to are going to be way too short. If you want to see some really scary numbers, pick just about any trans-Atlantic USAir flight from Philly. (Unfortunately, just one of many examples.)

Another consideration: are there later flights to your final destination that will arrive on time for you to do what you need to do? While there is no guarantee either or both you and your luggage will be loaded onto such a later flight, it greatly decreases the chances of disaster.

Often (this varies quite a bit by airport and airline), flights often leave and arrive at one particular gate. No promises on this --ever, but it is one more datum to consider. If the gates are close together and no security check is required, the "real" connect time is reduced. If you need to clear security,

this can vary by time of day and terminal (if a multi-terminal airpor. Historical inforamtion is avaiable on the same website as above (direct link: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/securityWaitTimes.do or from the TSA site (and other places).

Do you have mobility problems? Obviously, this can cause a need for longer connect times.

There are other things to consider, but my general rule for myself is: The offical connect times assume that things go right. Given the current state of affairs in air travel, it requires exquisite naiveté not to bet on Mr Murphy's Law proving correct yet again. I try to have 3 hours minimum anywhere for any connection and in some places longer.

Paul

Archived