Just Curious!

Cruiser765

Grief is the price we pay for love, Jimmy. We're lucky to have had her at all. Imagine if we were a pack of whippersnappers and born too late!

Oh, Angela, thank you for making me feel better about my age!

I don't expect to ever go to Dubai anyhow, so the question is moot for me. This is better than being sold to the scrappers (isn't blue lady still stuck in the sand?), and I understand that Cunard felt they couldn't afford to bring her up to 2010 standards.

I agree with the posters who've said that they want to remember her as a ship, sailing across the ocean. Not as a tourist attraction, gold-plated or not.

Kathy

I would have thought that some of the crew, to have come so far will wish to see the ship through to the end.

I should imagine that a lot of the really long standing staff would not qualify for the Victoria. You need to want to go.

Cunard need to keep them however. Although I do wonder how some will fit into the Queen Mary 2 way of working.

I would certainly regard it as a huge bonus to either ship to be blessed with the staff from the Signal Deck or the Queens' Grill.

Matthew

Grief is the price we pay for love, Jimmy.

You are a very wise lady, Angela. My problem is that my vanishingly rare forays into the latter emotion have always produced a surfeit of the former. :) :(

Jimmy

Angela is indeed very wise. To you Jimmy, I would simply say "patience". Four years and three days ago I would have been certain that I was destined to be a bachelor for life.

Four years and two days ago, I met Kirsten, and I was proved wrong.

Matthew

To you Jimmy, I would simply say "patience". Four years and three days ago I would have been certain that I was destined to be a bachelor for life. Four years and two days ago, I met Kirsten, and I was proved wrong.

Matthew,

as always, sir, your remarks are kindness epitomised. Sadly though, whilst I said that my romantic attempts had brought me grief, I didn't say they had been unsuccessful. In fact one of them was so astoundingly successful that it led to 22 years of (almost uniformally) happy marriage. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that, were another one to prove successful, the present Mrs Christie would terminate my cruising career in approximately 2 nanoseconds by kicking the living bejasus out of me. :D :D :D :D

Oops the present Mrs C was looking over my shoulder and has added "and that's just for starters" to that last sentence. She added a couple of other words as well, but, in view of the number of yellow cards being handed out around here at the moment, I won't even attempt to repeat them.

Jimmy

Matthew,

as always, sir, your remarks are kindness epitomised. Sadly though, whilst I said that my romantic attempts had brought me grief, I didn't say they had been unsuccessful. In fact one of them was so astoundingly successful that it led to 22 years of (almost uniformally) happy marriage. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that, were another one to prove successful, the present Mrs Christie would terminate my cruising career in approximately 2 nanoseconds by kicking the living bejasus out of me. :D :D :D :D

Oops the present Mrs C was looking over my shoulder and has added "and that's just for starters" to that last sentence. She added a couple of other words as well, but, in view of the number of yellow cards being handed out around here at the moment, I won't even attempt to repeat them.

Jimmy

She sounds a scary lady. I must introduce her, one day, to Kirsten.

On second thoughts I won't. They may give each other ideas. Then we'd both suffer! :D

Matthew

She sounds a scary lady. I must introduce her, one day, to Kirsten.

On second thoughts I won't. They may give each other ideas. Then we'd both suffer! :D

Matthew

OMG - don't even go there. When you get the old interchange of ideas and techniques going on you get a really strong reinforcement effect and "suffer" would hardly be an adequate description :eek:

J

You are a very wise lady, Angela. My problem is that my vanishingly rare forays into the latter emotion have always produced a surfeit of the former. :) :(

Jimmy

Moi aussi! But one day I decided I would just plow right into the latter head-first wherever it may be and let the former fall where it might. Hmmm, so wouldn't that also make me a swell rugby player? ;)

OMG - don't even go there. When you get the old interchange of ideas and techniques going on you get a really strong reinforcement effect and "suffer" would hardly be an adequate description :eek:

J

Ahem. You know, some of us here are "the wives".......

Oh, Angela, thank you for making me feel better about my age!

I don't expect to ever go to Dubai anyhow, so the question is moot for me. This is better than being sold to the scrappers (isn't blue lady still stuck in the sand?), and I understand that Cunard felt they couldn't afford to bring her up to 2010 standards.

I agree with the posters who've said that they want to remember her as a ship, sailing across the ocean. Not as a tourist attraction, gold-plated or not.

Kathy

Kathy, there are certain body parts that I wish were younger, but other than that, I am happy to have made it this far! There are a lot of interesting things we've been around for, and maybe in 100 years they won't seem so monumental, but since now is when we live, they can be a big deal to us. Okay, enough philosophy, let's drift.....:p

Yes,

and one of you here is as well - so you could say I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Jimmy

:) :) :)

Well, I'm not the kind to be a co-conspirator, comparing, what did you call them, "techniques?", as I've got none! So your secrets are safe with me. ;)

I know.

And the prospect of you and Kirsten plotting frightens me even more. And should frighten Paul!!!!

Matthew

Sigh. Follow along, please. I've already gone on record saying I'm not a plotter! I will, however, possibly giggle behind your back.

Well, since your posties are on strike, I reckon forever is how long it would take, as well! :p

Actually, they are not on strike at this precise moment - they went back at midday-ish, just in time for the weekend. They go back on strike on Monday:rolleyes:

Actually, they are not on strike at this precise moment - they went back at midday-ish, just in time for the weekend. They go back on strike on Monday:rolleyes:

And then not on strike at lunchtime, then back on strike afterwards? ;)

You cheque will be in the mail, next post, yes?

That is not on:mad: I'm the one who people send cheques to not you:mad: My business is collecting money from poor unsuspecting idiots who think they can get something for a lot of money:D

Now, did I ask you if you were interested in buying The Palace of Westminster?:)

Now, did I ask you if you were interested in buying The Palace of Westminster?:)

Chuck in Windsor Castle and you've got yourself a deal. I'm pretty sure I've still got 2/6d left over from the last time I bought something.

Jimmy

Archived