please advise - Spokane/JFK/Rome - Air Questions

cathydev

Our cruise ends in Rome at 8 am in Civitaveccchia. I found a great deal on Aer Lingus for 921.24 per person (includes taxes) out of JFK. $5,531.64 for all 6 of us. The flight leaves Rome (FCO) at 11:45 am. Is this enough time?

We live in Spokane WA but I am able to use frequent flier miles for all 6 of us to travel from Spokane to JFK. only 25,000 per ticket...

Here's our itinerary:

Sunday 6/24 (This portion using Alaska Airmiles)

depart Spokane 10:50 am arrive San Diego 1:25 pm

depart San Diego 9:40 pm arrive JFK 5:05 am (6/23)

Monday 6/23 (This portion paid for)

depart JFK 5:40 pm arrive Dublin 5:10 am (6/24)

depart Dublin 6:40 am arrive Rome 10:50 am on the 24th

Wednesday 7/9 (This portion paid for)

depart Rome 11:45 am arrive Dublin 2pm

depart Dublin 4:40 pm arrive JFK 7:10 pm

get hotel and catch up on sleep on the 9th

Thursday 7/10 (This portion using Alaska Airmiles)

depart NYC 12:30 pm arrive in Spokane at 10 pm

I know this sounds like a crazy itinerary but I'm wondering if it sounds reasonable. The best I can get out of Spokane right now to Rome is $1620/ticket and with 6 people that puts us at $9720.

Do you think leaving at 11:45 am is feasible when our cruise gets in at 8 am? From what I've read...they have you up and ready to go by 5:30 am and everyone is off the ship very early (even earlier than stated time of 8 am).

The savings are approx 4000 on airfare. We would need a hotel in NYC on the 9th but it could be by the airport because I'm sure we are all going to be exhausted and will just want to sleep (seems this is definitely cheaper option than downtown NYC).

I know it adds a day on for travel on the front end but it doesn't affect anyone's work schedule so maybe this could be a good idea? It doesn't change when we arrive home. Because we would have to stay in Rome on the 9th if we chose a flight from Rome to Spokane because we couldn't possibly make a 7 am flight on the 9th. So we'd leave the 10th in am and arrive home the same time if we took two different flights as outlined above.

I'm tired from all the research and planning...maybe I'm delusional that this could work?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I will purchase travel insurance but I would do that no matter which flight options I choose so I didn't factor that cost in. I guess I'm mostly concerned that aer lingus will go out of business...Alaska has a good track record and I think the scheduled 12 hours at JFK will be long enough even if the flight is delayed...

Please advise!!!

PS - I also posted this under general travel questions. But perhaps this is the better place for the question, so I am reposting here. Thanks.

I know it adds a day on for travel on the front end but it doesn't affect anyone's work schedule so maybe this could be a good idea? It doesn't change when we arrive home. Because we would have to stay in Rome on the 9th if we chose a flight from Rome to Spokane because we couldn't possibly make a 7 am flight on the 9th. So we'd leave the 10th in am and arrive home the same time if we took two different flights as outlined above.

I'm tired from all the research and planning...maybe I'm delusional that this could work?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I will purchase travel insurance but I would do that no matter which flight options I choose so I didn't factor that cost in. I guess I'm mostly concerned that aer lingus will go out of business...Alaska has a good track record and I think the scheduled 12 hours at JFK will be long enough even if the flight is delayed...

Please advise!!!

PS - I also posted this under general travel questions. But perhaps this is the better place for the question, so I am reposting here. Thanks.

VERY smart thinking on your part and a very good itinerary. It also breaks up the LOOOOONG West Coast to Europe flight.

The ONLY thing I question is getting on the plane to Dublin from Rome at 11:45AM. PLEASE check with the cruise line and find out the earliest flight they recommend.

IF push came to shove, can you fly on the following day??? OR take the 7:45PM flight out of Rome, arrive Dublin at 10:00PM. find a hotel in Dublin, then take the 10:30AM flight to JFK (arrives JFK at 1:00PM) and board the same Alaska Airlines flight on the same day.

This is a VERY valid itinerary. Find out from the cruise line if the 11:45AM flight is a problem.

Otherwise, I really believe if you work with Aer Lingus and tell them you are more than willing to spend the night in Dublin at your own expense, they should work with you to let you book the later flight, spend the night and fly on with your original plans.

You will LOVE Dublin airport. You clear American immigration in Ireland, so all you have to do at JFK is wait for your luggage and walk it through customs. Saves at least one hassle. Good luck!!!

I guess I have to compliment you on your homework. Yes your flights look manageable. As long as everyone gets rest along the way it should work. I came out of Rome from a cruise this last May. I think most cruiselines recommend a flight no later than 10:00 AM or 10:30. I don't see any problem with a 11:45 AM flight. If you use the cruise ship transfers it should work. Warning! Don't plan on using a taxi from the port to FCO, I was hearing of quotes at 300 Euros. Tim

Our cruise ends in Rome at 8 am in Civitaveccchia. I found a great deal on Aer Lingus for 921.24 per person (includes taxes) out of JFK. $5,531.64 for all 6 of us. The flight leaves Rome (FCO) at 11:45 am. Is this enough time?

We live in Spokane WA but I am able to use frequent flier miles for all 6 of us to travel from Spokane to JFK. only 25,000 per ticket...

Here's our itinerary:

Sunday 6/24 (This portion using Alaska Airmiles)

depart Spokane 10:50 am arrive San Diego 1:25 pm

depart San Diego 9:40 pm arrive JFK 5:05 am (6/23)

Monday 6/23 (This portion paid for)

depart JFK 5:40 pm arrive Dublin 5:10 am (6/24)

depart Dublin 6:40 am arrive Rome 10:50 am on the 24th

Wednesday 7/9 (This portion paid for)

depart Rome 11:45 am arrive Dublin 2pm

depart Dublin 4:40 pm arrive JFK 7:10 pm

get hotel and catch up on sleep on the 9th

Thursday 7/10 (This portion using Alaska Airmiles)

depart NYC 12:30 pm arrive in Spokane at 10 pm

I know this sounds like a crazy itinerary but I'm wondering if it sounds reasonable. The best I can get out of Spokane right now to Rome is $1620/ticket and with 6 people that puts us at $9720.

Do you think leaving at 11:45 am is feasible when our cruise gets in at 8 am? From what I've read...they have you up and ready to go by 5:30 am and everyone is off the ship very early (even earlier than stated time of 8 am).

The savings are approx 4000 on airfare. We would need a hotel in NYC on the 9th but it could be by the airport because I'm sure we are all going to be exhausted and will just want to sleep (seems this is definitely cheaper option than downtown NYC).

Please advise!!!

I just read your first sentence. No way on the 11:45am out of Rome with port arrival at 8:00am (what is your last port? Is it in Italy?). You need to allow 2 hours to get to the airport. You need to be at the airport by 9:45am (2 hours before your flight) in order to have any chance of making the flight (the cruiseline will tell you 3 hours before the flight). We had a private driver this summer and did it in less time (maybe one hour 15 minutes). Your ship has a late docking time and the airport is a zoo. We arrived into port at 7:00am and left our ship at 8:30am (we could have gotten off earlier but had breakfast). Find flights in the afternoon and avoid a lot of stress.

Archived