Sharks/Baracuda in Cozumel?

cps10

We did the Stingray City swim in Grand Cayman in Feb. and we had a bit of a shark encounter. It turned out to be a nurse shark and nothing happend - he just got a little to close to me for my comfort- but now I am afraid to swim/snorkel.

What will my kids (13 & 7) and myself and hubby see when we swim at Chakaanaab Park? I really don't want to see sharks or baracuda!!! :D

I wouldn't worry .... I snorkeled for a number of years, then took up scuba diving. Over the years I've seen many sharks, primarily nurse and never, ever had an issue. Mostly they're more afraid of you, then the other way around. Here's a couple excerpts with some info on each - neither are that interested in people, but as you can see the sharks like stingrays, maybe that's why you saw one around. As for barracuda, I've been pretty up close & personal, but if you don't bother them, they don't bother you. They can be somewhat curious, but unless you're carrying some fish with you - I don't think they really care!!

Nurse sharks are nocturnal animals, spending the day in large inactive groups of up to 40 individuals. Hidden under submerged ledges or in crevices within the
, the nurse sharks seem to prefer specific resting sites and will return to them each day after the night's hunting. By night, the sharks are largely solitary; they spend most of their time rifling through the bottom sediments in search of food. Their diet consists primarily of
, and other
, particularly

, barracudas have long had a bad reputation as being dangerous to humans. However, unprovoked attacks on humans are extremely rare and millions of
and swimmers spend time with them in the water without any incidents. Barracudas sometimes do follow snorkelers and scuba divers across a reef, which can make one feel uncomfortable, but they are harmless unless provoked.

As Jim pointed out, you don't want to wear anything flashy that might be mistaken as food. Most of the cuda attacks that I have heard of were from mistaken identity on the cuda's part.

When we snorkeled at Chankanaab there was a large cuda (in the 5 foot range) under the swim raft. :eek: There were 6 or 8 people splashing and diving off of the dock and this monster cuda is just laying docile under them. I got some neat pix.;)

If you check the statistics, your chances are better with the cudas and sharks than with lightening. But it is also a proven fact that 95% of the people hate statistics.:D

Although I too get a little nervous when snorkeling, I always remind myself of the statistics. The main thing I don't want an encounter with is a Mooray eel. They will tear you up if you get too close from what I have read. :eek:

I got to see my first moray at Dzul Ha back in March. It was in a coral head and I was amazed at how big they are. I thought that it was pretty cool. That brings the list to moray, cuda, lobster and octopus. Now if we can only find a sea turtle at Akumal in Dec.;)

I've been pretty close to a number of morays and they - like everything else - won't normally bother you, as long as you don't bother them. They don't see too well and go by sense of smell. We've seen a few free swimming which was really amazing. Normally you have to hunt in the coral & rocks to find them hiding.

Clackey - hope you have some good turtle sightings when you go, they are always a blast to watch!! A couple of trips ago we were lucky enough to see a pod of dolphins swim by us underwater in Cozumel ... now that's one I'll never forget!!

• 2 weeks later...
A couple of trips ago we were lucky enough to see a pod of dolphins swim by us underwater in Cozumel ... now that's one I'll never forget!!
WOW! That would have to be the greatest. I was excited to see a pod go by the ship while I was working out in the gym. Being in the water with them would have to be special.

Wow. Mooray eel are about as docile as nurse sharks. I'm a diver and have seen eel, nurse & reef shark, octopus, tarpon which many times are bigger than sharks, and rays among other sea creatures. All are awesome to see while diving and nothing to worry about if you don't provoke them.

What about an underwater silver-colored camera? Would that be a hazard, attracting barracuda, that is? Anyone ever have this problem? Should I wrap it in something?:eek:

Your chances of getting hurt while driving are hundreds of times more likely than being bitten by sharks or cudas. I'll swim with them and not worry about it. Now, meeting a SUV with the driver talking on a cellphone scares the crap out of me.:eek:

What about an underwater silver-colored camera? Would that be a hazard, attracting barracuda, that is? Anyone ever have this problem? Should I wrap it in something?:eek:
My underwater casing has lots of silver buttons, and I've never worried about it. Barracuda are mostly curious from my experiences while scuba diving. I've was way closer to a 6 ft 'cuda than I wanted to be once, and he really could have cared less that I was taking his picture ....

Archived