Weight Watchers and Cruising!

EastTexans2

I am also a member of weight watchers i have lost and maintained a 80

pound loss. i plan on eating oatmeal and fruits for breakfast

salads for lunch and dinner i will eat the spa carnival selection. i know i will

eat a few treats but i am going to have fun not to eat and i bet there will be many low point choices for us.also do some walking to earn a few more points. enjoy yourself

If you are not already following the CORE program, switch to it. That will give you so many options for "point-free" foods plus still having the 35 flex points available.

Take the stairs instead of the elevator, join an exercise class, go to the fitness center, and/or use the walking/jogging track every day to earn those activity points.

I love Weight Watchers; I've lost almost 25 lbs. and have never felt deprived of the foods I love!

Good luck!

I am on WW and I "sort of" behave myself too. But I look at it this way, it's a cruise and a vacation. I don't go crazy on 5 Choc Melting Cakes but I can tell you that I am at least going to have a taste of one without trying to figure out the point value. :)

And if I gain a lb or 2, then I just work out that much harder when I get home. :)

Just make healthier decisions all around and you will be fine.

Good luck to the OP on Weight Watchers from a couple life time members. Several pieces of good advice given, and I would also chime in with a don't beat yourself up if you do gain a LB or two on your cruise. Think of Weight Watchers as a life style change and not a diet and you should do fine.

John & Shari

A tip- try to manage your portions and whatnot, but what I do is NOT weigh myself for two weeks after I return from vacation. As soon as we return I go back to my normal return of eating and exercising and after 2 weeks I weigh myself and I have not gained a thing! Just a little trick as to not make youself crazy if you accidently gain a pound or two on vacation. :)

o.k. so I've finally joined WW and will be cruising again soon. Anyone have any tips on "sort of" behaving myself while enjoying all the food?

As others have pointed out the whole key is moderation and portion control. I sometimes miss the old much more restrictive WW program, I mean if I could make good food choices I wouldn't be overweight would I???

But, here is my 2 cents:

Remember that the ship is 3 football fields long, I am constantly taking the "longer" route where ever I go. I must walk from front to back to front to back.... at least 10 times a day.

Even with a bad knee I always walk 3 down and 2 up when I have the opportunity.

I don't walk the track cause I think it's boring, but it is fun to walk on the cabin decks and find all the secret passages (if the door doesn't say crew only, go through it)

I actually eat every chance I get. I know that that sounds counter productive, but it keeps me full all the time so that just a couple of bites is enough to satisfy me. On my last cruise my waiter was so upset that sister and I NEVER finished our salad or our entree. He was just so sure that we weren't satisfied, I finally had to speak to the MD and ask the he speak to him and quit bringing us other menu selections just because he though we didn't like our original order.

I also bring (or buy) a large insulated mug that I keep full of water from the Lido with those single serving Crystal Lite packs mixed in.

I almost never sit a nibble on bread before the meal is served, but I don't try to limit my choices to just the spa menu. I do typically gravitate toward the fish selection or broth based soups, but when I opt for a salad it's a Ceasar w/ dressing and croutons. I have at least 2 a day.

And as another poster said, I never weigh the week I get back. I usually wait until at least a week out. I have pretty bad travel edema. but I'm always pleasantly surprized that I'm usually down 2 - 3 lbs from my pre-cruise weight.

Remember also that any evening you can get grilled chicken, dressings on the side, and steamed veggies. And if you want to be really carefull (though I wouldn't ever do it on vacation) bring your points calculator and eat exclusively off the Spa menu. All of the information is there to calculate your points and keep you on track.

Wow, there are a lot of great tips on here. I started WW about 4 weeks ago, just so I could get in shape for my cruise that is 5 months away. I lost about 25 lbs for my first cruise 2 years ago, but have gained almost all of it back. What happened with me was after the first cruise, I simply did not get back on track. My whole mentality was "lose to cruise" and after the cruise, I fell back into my old eating habits. Not this time, I will watch what I eat while on the cruise so I can stay on track! thanks for the tips!

Also just for the fun of it the Chocolate Melting cake is 19 points per serving. Not including ice cream. Not sure how that would break down per bite. I think the key is to be sensible no matter what method of diet program you are on. I personally am doing Weight Watchers because I know it works (previous experience). But this time once goal is reached I will not stop the program. I wish us all luck

I recommend eating most of your meals in the dining room and staying away from the lido buffet. I find it is really easy to overeat at the buffet. The portion size in the dining room is very reasonable, the supper club is a different story. The portions are ridiculously huge, plan on eating half of what is served in the supper club maximum. Good Luck! I agree with the other posters don't be too hard on yourself if you gain a few pounds.

I need to chime in as a 5 year lifetime member. I lost 25 pounds on the program. It is the best program out there.

There are already lots of great tips here, so I just wanted to say congrats to all the new WW members!

For me it's all about making good choices and staying active. I lost weight on my last cruise. I walk all over the ship, use the gym in the morning and even put a couple miles on the treadmill. I eat sensibly all day and then allow myself to have whatever I want at dinner, but still watching portions. The beauty of cuises is that the portions are smaller.

Enjoy yourself and don't beat yourself up for mistakes. If you get right back on track your next meal you have nothing to worry about.

It is so nice to see fellow WW'ers on Cruise Critic. I hit goal on Saturday, lost 28pds total. Its funny though bc I am going to be on Maintainance while I am on my cruise. Like a pp said though I am going to walk everywhere, take the stairs, workout in the morning in the gym and just really watch what I eat. I dont like buffets so I really will be eating in the dining room. I also plan on running 1-2miles for every meal. Exercise has been the key to my success in this journey and I really dont plan on blowing it for a week of vacation.

Thanks to the poster who posted how many pts the chocolate melting cake is. Yikes!

It is so nice to see fellow WW'ers on Cruise Critic. I hit goal on Saturday, lost 28pds total. Its funny though bc I am going to be on Maintainance while I am on my cruise. Like a pp said though I am going to walk everywhere, take the stairs, workout in the morning in the gym and just really watch what I eat. I dont like buffets so I really will be eating in the dining room. I also plan on running 1-2miles for every meal. Exercise has been the key to my success in this journey and I really dont plan on blowing it for a week of vacation.

Thanks to the poster who posted how many pts the chocolate melting cake is. Yikes!

Congratulations!!

That's a great approach you are taking and it sounds like you are on your way to many years as a lifetime member! Running is what helped me get the last 5 off and has really helped me keep it off.

So nice to see fellow WW posting on CruiseCritic

Great tips posted so far!!!!

A couple of extra ones that I haven't seen:

DANCE DANCE DANCE no matter where you are, moving more will always be beneficial. On the Liberty I took the line dancing classes and it was like a workout and loads of fun

On Lido Deck:

Get an egg white omelette with loads of veggies (they have spray for the pan just ask for it!

Fresh Fruit and Veggies

Veggie Burger at the grill

Sugar Free jelly and syrup is available

Dining Room:

Ask for a platter of Steamed veggies every night, I was amazed at how simple and beautifully prepared this was.

I also asked my waiter for doubles on my Green salad every night dressing on the side.

Room Service:

Order Cruditie Platter while you are getting ready for dinner takes the edge off.

Gym:

Take a workout class that you have never taken before.

I love using tredmills on a cruise ship. It is actually walking on water :D

Never take the elevator!!!!!

DRINK all you water!!!!

Make sure you stop in at your WW meeting before and after your cruise. Use you No Weigh In Pass if necessary.

Remember this is a lifestyle change and one I enjoy living for the past almost 7 years

Wow, what great tips you all have! Today was my first WI and I lost 3.5 lbs. I'm looking forward to the fish on the ship....I loved it last time and I know it's good for me. Didn't think about the oatmeal for breakfast - good idea. DH and I always use the walking track in the morning so that's not a problem.

About the chocolate melting cake....at 19 pts. I would only have 3 pts. left for the day!

Let's try to keep this thread going.......with a bunch of us cruising at different times, we can report back.

what is a Cruditie Platter ? also can anyone tell us how the spa menu and desserts taste. thanks for the steamed veggie idea

6 more weeks i cant wait. i am actually 7 lbs below my ww goal so i know i will be ok but i do want to make wise choices and enjoy some treats too.

what is a Cruditie Platter ? also can anyone tell us how the spa menu and desserts taste. thanks for the steamed veggie idea

6 more weeks i cant wait. i am actually 7 lbs below my ww goal so i know i will be ok but i do want to make wise choices and enjoy some treats too.

I am diabetic, so I can tell you this, THE SUGAR FREE DESSERTS ARE EXCELLANT.

You must try the Spinach Salad the first night.

I did not order much from the spa menu, but an occasional salad. I have many diet restrictions, and had to see what was in them before I could order.

The grilled portubello mushroom appetizer was great also. I also got the shrimp cocktail most every night.

Yes, the chocolate melting cake is great, but too sweet for me now. I just loved the sugarfree banana cake, coconut cake, chocolate cake and apple pie. could not tell they were diet.

Have fun.

Crudite' is fancy for raw veggies! Normally it is served with ranch dressing, so without the dip it is free points!

Thanks to the OP for the question. I get to plan a cruise to celebrate my finishing my Master's degree and making lifetime with WW...I have two more weeks to go on maintenance before I get my key.

Thanks for all the tips...and 19pts, I still may steal a bite or 2! I do think I will try to be a few pounds under goal before my cruise, just in case.

I also joined WW's last year to lose weight before our Alaskan cruise this past summer. I ended up losing 30 pounds and making lifetime in March. I found the thing that worked the best for me was to journal everything I ate, I have never missed a day yet and on the cruise I never took the elevator, I used the stairs faithfully. And I never once denied myself anything, just ate it in moderation. I did weigh in when I came home from out 3 week vacation and imagine my delight when I actually lost 3 pounds on our vacation. WW's has proven to be the best lifestyle change for me. Good luck.

Archived