Rum Point

Arizona Laura

Thinking of doing a private tour of Rum Point with group. Is Rum Cake Factory near Rum Point? How about Millionaires Row or the Bluffs?

Wondering anything along the 45 min drive to see on way to Rum Point?

Best bar at Rum Point?

Best food at Rum Point?

Will be there 2-3 hrs only with the 45 min drive each way.

Thanks for the info. Looking at tour with one of the private companies.

Laura

Rum Point is off the beaten path so to speak. It's a nice drive out there...you can drive past the blow holes and enjoy some fantastic scenery. Once out there, there is a bar/restaurant and a great beach. There are facilities and chairs. It is a beautiful, quiet beach. :)

I'm not sure if it is considered a private beach. They do sell food and beverages there. I am 99% sure I have a picture of a sign that says "no outside food or drink". I guess since there are no entrance fees, or fees for chairs, they have to make money somewhere. It is well worth the trip out there. I just returned from GC and went to Seven Mile Beach this trip. There is no comparison between Rum Point and Seven Mile. Rum Point destroys it!!!

Indeed, no outside food or drink is the rule at Rum Point.

Rum Point is located nowhere near the Rum Cake factory. If fact, it really isn't located near much of anything at all. There are vacation homes and condos aroudn teh property, and the Kaibo Yacht Club (with its restaurant) is about a mile away.

Rum Point will be facing changes soon. The Hyatt has run the food and bar operations for many years but they will be pulling out at the end of October. There has not yet been any firm anouncement of future plans.

:)

Thanks for the replies.

Still up in the air. No one wants to do anything like stingrays or snorkeling etc. Want land tour so looking at options.

Laura

I've been to Grand Cayman in the past. I did the whole sting ray, snorkeling, and Rum Point thing. Once you've swam with on you've swam with em all. This time around we have rented a jeep and plan to drive to Rum Point to spend the day. The last time I was there it was beautiful and not that crowded. I hope between now and december I can find a map and directions. lol I'v also heard of Star fish beach? Anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it.

Thnks!

Thanks Doug!!

Now if I could just learn to read. ;) I'm so looking forward to this trip. You I've been hearing recently that sometimes ships skip this port just because of the wind has anyone heard about that? I was there in December two years ago and the weather was great, and will be there this December as well. I wonder if it's a certain time of the year that the winds are a problem?? It makes sense that they would have some problems because the island is as flat as my ex...nevermind. Anyway, thanks for the info. I got the jeep, I think I got the maps, all I need now is my boat to take me there...oh one more thing...can you pay for gas in American currency??:)

Here are a couple of sites that have "maps".

http://www.cayman activity guide.com/Cayman.htm

or

http://www.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm here you can click on the box that you want to see detailed street maps for.

Hope that helps.

Well call me blind but the first link didn't work and I can't find Rum Point on the second map..:cool:

I almost booked a tour today for Rum Point.

Got an e-mail back from Hyatt in GC that says Rum Point is closing down Oct 31st. I had e-mailed them to ask about the ferry and the rumor that they were pulling out of Rum Point.

Have another e-mail trying to find out how that impacts tours.

Laura

I almost booked a tour today for Rum Point.

Got an e-mail back from Hyatt in GC that says Rum Point is closing down Oct 31st. I had e-mailed them to ask about the ferry and the rumor that they were pulling out of Rum Point.

Have another e-mail trying to find out how that impacts tours.

Laura

What??? You heard that Rum Point is closing down or the Hyatt?? The beach will still be open correct???

What??? You heard that Rum Point is closing down or the Hyatt?? The beach will still be open correct???

According to the last several e-mails from the Hyatt and Majestic Tours, Rum Point will be reopening by an independently owned management group for food and drinks. Hyatt did run it till this month. Majestic Tours confirmed there will be food and drinks. We are going in Jan.

Laura

According to the last several e-mails from the Hyatt and Majestic Tours, Rum Point will be reopening by an independently owned management group for food and drinks. Hyatt did run it till this month. Majestic Tours confirmed there will be food and drinks. We are going in Jan.

Laura

Oh so the beach isn't closing..just the food and beverage will be under new management. You had me worried...:o

Laura

You weren't the only one that was worried :eek: We're supposed to be going there next month and I was going to be very disappointed if they were closing completely!

http://www.cayman activity guide.com/Cayman.htm (you have to copy and paste everything from http thru .htm--and remove the spaces) If I try to add the full link it gets filled with ****.

or

http://www.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm here you can click on the box that you want to see detailed street maps for. Click on box 120 and that is the detailed map for Rum Point.

For more information on the new management of the Rum Point Club, click here http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1025864. "Mr. Briggs added that under the new management there is very little that will change about the property, and they are even hoping that they won’t have to close down during the change–over. One aspect of change that hopefully will take place is the plan to get the Rum Point restaurant open for the winter season." It doesn't look like the ferry is in the plans yet though.

Indeed, no outside food or drink is the rule at Rum Point.

Rum Point is located nowhere near the Rum Cake factory. If fact, it really isn't located near much of anything at all. There are vacation homes and condos aroudn teh property, and the Kaibo Yacht Club (with its restaurant) is about a mile away.

Rum Point will be facing changes soon. The Hyatt has run the food and bar operations for many years but they will be pulling out at the end of October. There has not yet been any firm anouncement of future plans.

I've been reading a lot on here Drew and I highly value your opinion since you live on the island.

In your honest opinion, I'm going to Cayman on a cruise at the end of November. My and my GF want to just get off the ship and relax at a nice beach and maybe do some shopping and light sight seeing in town.

Would you reccommend getting off the ship early and heading out to Rum Point for a few hours then coming back to town for the walking around?

Or just grab a cab or do a ship sponsered tour over to Sea Grape Beach and be a lot closer to town??

I've been reading a lot on here Drew and I highly value your opinion since you live on the island.

In your honest opinion, I'm going to Cayman on a cruise at the end of November. My and my GF want to just get off the ship and relax at a nice beach and maybe do some shopping and light sight seeing in town.

Would you reccommend getting off the ship early and heading out to Rum Point for a few hours then coming back to town for the walking around?

Or just grab a cab or do a ship sponsered tour over to Sea Grape Beach and be a lot closer to town??

I would not recommend heading over to Rum Point unless you're doing a ship excursion there. The ferry is still not operating, except under private charter to the cruise ships, and it's a LONG drive out there from town. Once you get there, it's a nice place to hang out, but the beach is not even in same league with Seven Mile Beach. Not worth the drive when your time is limited, I think. There are plenty of cool places to hang out much closer to town.

Looks like not going on tour to Rum Point.

Majestic Tours want $600.00 for our group (16-18 people)4 hrs, our own private 20 plus van but they want to charge my charge card the $600.00 2 days prior to the tour.

Feel uncomfortable with this.

Also thinking the 90 min total drive time.

May just go to 7 mile beach. Then will have to think where to go there.

Laura

:)

I've been to Grand Cayman in the past. I did the whole sting ray, snorkeling, and Rum Point thing. Once you've swam with on you've swam with em all. This time around we have rented a jeep and plan to drive to Rum Point to spend the day. The last time I was there it was beautiful and not that crowded. I hope between now and december I can find a map and directions. lol I'v also heard of Star fish beach? Anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it.

Thnks!

Is the starfish beach "Cayman Kai"? If so, from the maps I've seen, it should be within walking distance of Rum Point. Can anyone confirm this?

It gets filled with ***** because they violated posting rules here and the "guide" isn't a guide at all - it is used to promote their paying sponsors only and if people post there about anything other than sponsors they get banned or edited. It is not a reliable source of independent information so be forewarned.

http://www.cayman activity guide.com/Cayman.htm (you have to copy and paste everything from http thru .htm--and remove the spaces) If I try to add the full link it gets filled with ****.

Archived