11 Year Old with Walker

fozzy

I'm thinking about taking my sister's family on a cruise. They have an 11 year old physically and mentally handicapped daughter. I'm not too worried about an accesible room. It would be convenient, but not necessary. She uses a walker. Any advice for taking a child like this on a cruise? Are there any questions I should be asking myself about?

Thanks

I'm thinking about taking my sister's family on a cruise. They have an 11 year old physically and mentally handicapped daughter. I'm not too worried about an accesible room. It would be convenient, but not necessary. She uses a walker. Any advice for taking a child like this on a cruise? Are there any questions I should be asking myself about?

Thanks

What you should really do is contact the special needs department. You didn't say which line you were going on. Is your neice potty trained? All children must be completely trained before they can go into the pools. I do believe that Disney has a small pool for non trained children. I do know that Carnival is very good with the children and do take children that are Challenged as does Royal and most others. I hope that this started you on the way to answering your questions but be sure to call special needs they will be able to answer everything.

Keep in mind that there will be a 6-8" step up into the bathroom, with very small space (difficult to maneuver a walker) in a non-accessibe cabin bathroom (no grab bars either), and there are long distances on carpet (difficult in a walker, esp. if there is any sea) on a cruise ship.

A wheelchair for use as needed would be strongly recommended for her, and getting one in and out of a non-accessible cabin, will be difficult (and forget getting into the bathroom with one). Shore excursions also will be easier with a wheelchair. A walker on uneven ground or cobblestones can be dangerous.

Archived