Noordam pools

jvz

All HAL ships except the Prinsendam have pools with retractable roofs that are closed or opened appropriately. Babies in diapers are not allowed in the pool, if that's the age you're talking about, but I believe there is a shallow end for toilet-trained toddlers.

Thanks for the responses. The retractable roof is a good idea since we will sail in December and it will be cold in NY. We want to be able to head to the pool immediately and not wait until we get south. I will have a 10 month old by that time and he loves splashing so I hope he is allowed at the shallow end (ankle deep water).

Thanks for the responses. The retractable roof is a good idea since we will sail in December and it will be cold in NY. We want to be able to head to the pool immediately and not wait until we get south. I will have a 10 month old by that time and he loves splashing so I hope he is allowed at the shallow end (ankle deep water).

Which date are you sailing? If it's the 1st, hop on over and say hello on our roll call :D

In October 2005 we were on the Maasdam with my nephew who was 9 months at the time. My sister did not have much luck allowing him to even put his feet in. Now, before the opinions start flying, I am in agreement that children in diapers should not go in the pool. I am also wary about toddlers who are not potty trained but also not wearing a diaper because their moms just say they're potty trained to get them in the pool. Expect other passengers to be very outspoken about the children in the pool.

I do come with a solution, however. Take a very small blow up pool and set it between two lounge chairs near a drain. One with a little cabana shade is great to keep them out of the sun. A couple of scoops of water will be plenty for a 10 month old to splash in, and when the day is over just tilt the pool towards the drain.

Happy parents, happy toddler, happy fellow cruisers.

Have fun on your cruise.

SallySlapCabbage, that is a FABULOUS idea! :) I'm a grandmother myself (see avatar), and I love babies, but the idea of kids who are not thoroughly toilet trained using pools gives me the willies. One bad accident:eek: , and the whole pool has to be drained and cleaned, inconveniencing everyone. So-called swim diapers might be OK for large natural bodies of water, or for your own pool (where no one but you will suffer if there's a problem), but NOT for public pools. They simply are not secure enough.

I understand and sympathize with the OP wanting to give the baby a fun time, but please, PLEASE don't take him in the pool! SallySlapCabbage has offered you the perfect solution - go for it!

PS to SallySlapCabbage: There's a fairly recent thread on why people chose their screen names. Mine is obvious, but I'd LOVE to see your post on that topic - I'm intrigued!:D

SallySlapCabbage, that is a FABULOUS idea! :) I'm a grandmother myself (see avatar), and I love babies, but the idea of kids who are not thoroughly toilet trained using pools gives me the willies. One bad accident:eek: , and the whole pool has to be drained and cleaned, inconveniencing everyone. So-called swim diapers might be OK for large natural bodies of water, or for your own pool (where no one but you will suffer if there's a problem), but NOT for public pools. They simply are not secure enough.

I understand and sympathize with the OP wanting to give the baby a fun time, but please, PLEASE don't take him in the pool! SallySlapCabbage has offered you the perfect solution - go for it!

PS to SallySlapCabbage: There's a fairly recent thread on why people chose their screen names. Mine is obvious, but I'd LOVE to see your post on that topic - I'm intrigued!:D

I SOOOOO agree w/ SallySlapCabbage to use a small blow up pool!! Deflated it wont take up much room in luggage and can be drained daily!!

Is there enough room on the deck of the Noordam for this?

cruzjunkie,

I will be on the Noordam next week and will inspect deck space and pool drains. My nephew is now 3 1/2 and potty trained so I suppose he will be in the pool...but he now has a little sister who will be using a blow up pool.

I have to give credit to the moms on the "family cruising" board for this idea.

While it does not have a roof, unlike the Lido pool, the Noordam's aft pool is terrific. A beautiful view, too. Highly recommended.

As I recall it, there is a children's playground at a different level in the aft. I never saw it in use so I don't know whether it has a splashing pool.

.............As I recall it, there is a children's playground at a different level in the aft. I never saw it in use so I don't know whether it has a splashing pool.

I think you are referring to the Oasis, which can be found on the Sky Deck on all the R-class (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam) and S-class vessels (Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam) with the exception of Maasdam. It was designed as an area for teens, and it does have a water fall and a wading, or splash, pool.

Never been on the Oasis. Checking deck plans I realize I was thinking about the Norwegian Dawn.

In any case, the Noordam aft pool, which I discovered late during this March's cruise, is terrific. I'll hang out there again next March.

cruzjunkie,

I will be on the Noordam next week and will inspect deck space and pool drains.

I have to give credit to the moms on the "family cruising" board for this idea.

There are huge deck drains all over the place on the Lido deck pool areas.

I agree that a blowup pool is a great idea - and if you didn't feel like packing it up to take back to your stateroom, I'm sure that the deck stewards would be happy to keep it for you until the next day - They'd probably even offer to help you with setup as it's better for them to not have to clean the pools.

:)

On the RCCL Grandeur 1 1/2 weeks ago (our last sea day) a baby with diapers was happily splashing in the shallow end of the pool. The parents had the baby in the pool for at least two hours, while they enjoyed playing with the baby and having their fun drinks. No crew member or security ever said anything to them, even though RCCL has the same diaper rule.

Later in the afternoon, the band stopped playing and a crew member made an announcement that the pool had to be closed down and everyone needed to get out because of "safe health reasons"...translation..."a floater!" Two crew members pulled on rubber boots and walked across the pool with a large net to tie it off. I didn't watch what they did next. :rolleyes:

It was really too bad that nothing was said to these parents beforehand and that the pool had to be closed the last afternoon of the cruise. No pool games, etc.. (although that didn't bother me in the least. :D )

I love the idea of a baby pool!!! My opinion is that all very young children, even those that are "supposedly" potty trained should stay out of the pool. Water has a strange way of producing accidents! :eek:

Archived