Med's at the airport - security

kasualkathy

I don't fly often and was wondering if I have a supply of vitamins and supplements (like fishoil gel capsules) and I throw them all in one bottle and either put them in my carry on or my checked baggage if they will question what they are?

It was my understanding that all meds where to be in the original bottles or packaging for flights as well as Customs inspections.........does anyone know differently ?? I don't know if that would include vitamins etc. also......

glenn and kathy (buckeyeair)

We have combined all of our vitamins and supplements into one large plastic bottle for longer cruises, and pack them in our checked baggage. We have never been questioned about them in over 10 cruises which involved flying, whether within the US or overseas.

We also use the daily reminder containers and put them in our carry-ons, and again, we have never been questioned about them. DW does, however, keep her presciption meds in their original prescription containers and always takes those in her carry-on.

Just returned from an East Med cruise (no pun intended). Carried on my perscriptions in both a "day minder" pill dispenser and the bottles from the pharmacy, in a camera backpack. Went through a number of US and European Security/Customs checkpoints. Never a hint of an issue. As a precaution, I would suggest that "throwing them all together in one bottle" is not the best idea.

I've never had a problem, i'm a diabetic and travel with two types of insulin (liquid) and two different syringes, and a Glucagon shot. I always have it out and ready to show the TSA and they tell me to put it in my bag and not to worry about it. I also tell the ticket agent when we drop off bags that my luggage has syringes in it and they put a biohazard sticker on it and TSA won't even open my them.

My DH takes many meds and USED to carry them in one of those days of the week holders until he was stopped by a TSA person at DFW and questioned extensively about his meds and why they were all thrown together without a prescription. We almost missed our flight. Plus, he has meds that cannot be put with other meds because they cause chemical interactions that make the meds useless. Never travel with meds without their bottles with the person's name on each bottle. You'll save yourself lots of potential headaches.

• Administrators
My DH takes many meds and USED to carry them in one of those days of the week holders until he was stopped by a TSA person at DFW and questioned extensively about his meds and why they were all thrown together without a prescription. We almost missed our flight. Plus, he has meds that cannot be put with other meds because they cause chemical interactions that make the meds useless. Never travel with meds without their bottles with the person's name on each bottle. You'll save yourself lots of potential headaches.

That's our feeling, as well. It only takes one TSA employee feeling his or her "authority" to turn an already stressful experience (airlines/flying these days) into a nightmare. We bring the original bottles for everything, and pack OTC stuff in the checked luggage (in original blister packs, or bottles if it's something like cough syrup).

We also use the daily pill boxes and have a few of them for each of us when taking a longer cruise. Never had a problem aftr 28 cruises. The only thing DH does is his pain prescription med stays in the original bottles.

Archived