Beach

earl_m

Last Nov we had no problem. We just walked out to that dirt road/parking area and there were several. We're going again and have not heard of that being a problem. I can't imagine a tip at any beach bar not getting you one pronto.

We love Orient, planned this different cruise with St. Martin as the common stop.

The whole town is on a beach! Just take the water taxi over to Phillipsburg. Water taxis come and go continually and pick up and drop off at each end of the long city beach. The water taxi dock is straight ahead as you get off the ship. You will see it easily. Cost is $5 pp for all day so you can come and go as you please. Takes maybe 3-4 minutes. Many places along the beachfront rent umbrellas and chairs. We have found that the beach rentals in front (back actually) of Holland House hotel are the cheapest. And their bar service is good, Bucket of beer was $6 for 5 beers last Dec. Shopping is right behind the beachfront. I love to wander around Phillipsburg. It is so pretty. The view from the ship, if you're on the proper side, is great.

The beach at Philipsburg is perfect to sit and enjoy. However, I would NEVER step foot into the water. In St. Maarten more than 85% of the sanitary sewage is NOT treated. There are two major discharge points into Great Bay, one of which is located very close to the beach area.

Go to Orient Beach where there is NO discharge of sanitary sewage.

Archived