Dangerous Caribbean/Mexican Ports - Which ones?

CleoSushi

We've been to a lot of Carib. and 6 Mexican ports (list below) and have never felt unsafe. We don't go off by ourselves, all but two excursions have been through the cruiseline. Any shopping has been on tours or right at the pier. Sometimes we've seen pushy vendors, but just kept walking and saying "No, thanks." I can't imagine staying on the ship for a whole port stop. Just use common sense.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib--Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Labadee

1/03 Explorer W. Carib. --Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. --Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas

2/05 Galaxy PC--Cozumel, Costa Maya, P. Canal, Puerto Limon (Costa Rica) Mo Bay (substituted for Gr. Cayman due to weather)

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riv--Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, Acap., Zihuat/Ixtapa, Manzanillo

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

Out of Galveston off the Conquest, on a plantation tour 17 people robbed at gunpoint but unhurt. One of the robbers was later killed by police.

Belize City outside the Cruise Compound can be dangerous from Street Gangs. Once away from there on tours, you have a wonderful time.

I am going to Belize in Jan and I have been hearing that it is dangerous there. I was planning on taking a taxi to a beach or something but now you have me thinking. Anymore info on Belize???????

We are considering the Panamacanal including Costa Rica.

Not very encouraging if its hardly safe to leave the ship!

Does it really mean you can only go on excursions?

Does anyone have a more recent experience?

You just need to use common sense and exercise caution wherever you go. Costa Rica is up there with one of my fav places to visit. Probably my most favorite. It just offers so much for the soul. It is BEAUTIFUL! I have spent much of my time there over the last few years and grow more fond of it everytime I go. The people are by far the nicest I have ever met, very very humble. I could go on and on. Once you visit this Gem, you will understand why everyone says "Pura Vida"! As for crime.. I've heard of some bad things happening but that's everyhere. Also heard of a few situations where peoples things have been stolen off the beach etc, partly due to the # of Nicaraguan's going to CR for work. But, that's not to say some locals don't steal etc. Crime exists in every part of our world today.

Hope to do either the Panama Canal or Alaska on our next cruise. We have friends who have been to Costa Rica and have loved it so much they've talked about retiring down there.

I think anytime you go to a strange country you should go with a group excursion. Of course there are some exceptions. I can't think of any in Central or South America.

I've made wrong turns in various US cities, most recently Newark, NJ, and suddenly found myself (and my family) in a very scary area. In some cities, one block over can make all the difference in the world. So I certainly wouldn't want to be risking that in a foreign country.

Jimmers:)

the Panama Canal is one of the best cruises we have taken, just to see it was fantastic. As for Costa Rica, we did a wonderful tour with about 10 others (arranged privately prior to sailing) It is really only Panama itself where the ship recommends you do a tour through them or stay on board except for shopping at the pier. Do not let this stop you from doing the cruise, that day or so of inconvenience shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the cruise.

Nita

I am going to Belize in Jan and I have been hearing that it is dangerous there. I was planning on taking a taxi to a beach or something but now you have me thinking. Anymore info on Belize???????
Belize is fine, you may want to go with a few others in a van (taxi) The part of Belize most people are uncomfortable with is the alleys behind the shopping mall, things like that. I do not like Belize (in fact I can't stand it) I think the people are pushy and not friendly, but we have been there three times and never felt unsafe.

Nita

Belize is fine, you may want to go with a few others in a van (taxi) The part of Belize most people are uncomfortable with is the alleys behind the shopping mall, things like that. I do not like Belize (in fact I can't stand it) I think the people are pushy and not friendly, but we have been there three times and never felt unsafe.

Nita

Thanks, I will take your advise

I personally will never go to Belize again! I was there in jan 07, and a local lady grabbed my daughters arm (my daughter is 8) and started pulling her towards her shop, i grabbed her other arm and started pulling her away, she started screaming obscenities at me and a big crowd started to gather, and then some guy came up and got my daughter away from her. NEVER AGAIN.

Our stop at Puerto Limon, Costa Rica was the best stop of our PC cruise! We sailed on Galaxy and booked a "Pontoon Jungle Boat Ride" through X. We were on a motorcoach with our guide, who stayed with us the whole time. We were taken to a private resort and split up into two groups for the boat ride. The pontoon took us on a river that ran through the rain forest. There were no mosquitos or any annoying insects, the weather was sunny and warm, but not too hot and we saw amazing wildlife. We saw sloths in the trees, including a mother and baby. We saw beautiful birds, butterflies, some waterfowl, flowers and banana trees with blossoms that we could examine when the guide plucked a couple in passing.

Lined up on the backside of a palm tree overhanging the river was a line of 12 long-nosed bats, sleeping and waiting for evening and the mosquitos. The whole atmosphere was wonderful and our guide passed around large cards with pictures and info on what we were seeing. On the way back in the motorcoach, we stopped and got out to take pics of a family of howler monkeys frolicking in the trees overhead. Before going back to the ship we were taken to another resort-type place with shops and a bar with snacks and entertainment. It was surrounded by fabulous gardens.

In the ports that could be considered dangerous, we would never do anything on our own, even just going to the beach without safety in numbers.

In Ocho Rios we did the ship sponsored tour that included the Dunn's River Falls climb. In Montego Bay we did the X-sponsored rafting trip on the Martha Brae River.

You will have a great time on the cruise and don't worry.

I probably sounded negative on this post but I did have a good time there. I have a friend that has a condo in Ixstapa(?) and he likes it a lot. It just seemed unusual to see a bunch of guys with machine guns instead of other guns. I don't think they have any in Kansas.

Well, maybe not in Kansas...

If military or police with machine guns bother you than I suggest that you NOT come to New York's Penn Station, Grand Central Station or Wall Street ( NYSE).

Just be aware of your surroundings and try not to take any unnecessary risks.

Happy Cruising

The only port on our cruises that I felt unsafe was Belize when we ventured outside the wall to experience a little of their culture first hand. It didn't long for us to get quickly back inside the port-walled area after having the locals yelling at us---and no it wasn't "nice" yelling. If we ever return there, we will take a cruiseline excursion or stay on the ship.

It makes sense to take a ship's excursion in a new port- if there are doubts about safety.

For instance, when we were in Isla Margarita, we had an excellent tour guide and a positive experience. After traveling around the island for half a day, we knew for sure that a ship's excursion is best for that port.

I do not like Belize (in fact I can't stand it) I think the people are pushy and not friendly, but we have been there three times and never felt unsafe.

Now THAT's a diehard cruiser. Must be some good shopping there to keep coming back again and again;)

Hat's off to you.

Jimmers

We saw sloths in the trees, including a mother and baby. We saw beautiful birds, butterflies, some waterfowl, flowers and banana trees with blossoms that we could examine when the guide plucked a couple in passing.

I better not take the wifey there, she wouldn't want to come home. Hmmmm........ On second thought. LOL.

Sounds like a wonderful place. The PC is on our list of cruises to take. Thanks for sharing.

Jimmers

If military or police with machine guns bother you than I suggest that you NOT come to New York's Penn Station, Grand Central Station or Wall Street ( NYSE).

Just be aware of your surroundings and try not to take any unnecessary risks.

Roger that. "Just be aware of your surroundings and try not to take any unnecessary risks".

It's just like when you ride on the NYC subway. If you can handle the characters they have down there, then you can handle the locals at any Caribbean Port. LOL

Jimmers:)

We've never had a problem at any Mexican port. The Pacific side of Mexico has the best scenery with huge mountains and lots of dolphins and whales. Zihuantenjo/Ixtapa is a gorgeous port that reminds me of Hawaii. There was no danger on the beach. Ixtapa is a newer resort area built for tourists. You can take an excursion to Ixtapa from Zihuantenjo.

Alcapulco has the beach next to the ship. It was safe but I'm sure if you wandered the streets to see the cliff divers that you might encounter problems. Stick to the beach and you'll be fine. Take a cab to the cliff divers.

Cozumel is great. You see lots of people riding bikes around the island. We usually grab a cab to the beach.

Calica is a new port in the middle of nowhere and is used to transport to Playa Del Carmen. You have to take an excursion from the ship to town.

I have to agree with the comments about Jamaica not feeling too safe. We have a joke about my mother getting "lost" while we were there, but with the sketchy looking people offering island herbs (yes, that really does happen), our imaginations might not have been too far off.

Archived