Pregnant and cruising in the Western Caribbean

CleoSushi

Hello everyone.

My husband and I and another couple are cruising to the western caribbean in February (Cozumel, Belize, Playa del Carmen). The other couple will be in their 2nd trimester. My husband and I are currently trying ourselves.

For our pregnant friend, are there any ship sponsored excursions (RCL) that she should stay away from? I want her to have a great time but i want her to be safe as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

When you get your list of excursions, they will list which ones they won't allow pregnant women to do. For me, in the second trimester, I would avoid anything having to do with parasailing, diving or things like that. She can probably do most anything else, depending on her own health. It's actually pretty nice to cruise in the second trimester because, hopefully, you're over the morning sickness.

I cruised in my 2nd trimester last year. I had some problems with being a little sea-sick, and had some trouble sleeping, but other then that had a great time. She should just use common sense when booking the excursions. Don't do anything there she wouldn't do at home.

I did the Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving last year and had my 35weeker on March 3rd...I believe I was 21 or 22 weeks.

I am a horrible seasick person, but this time, it didn't affect me! Maybe I was just all out of throw up by that point in the pregnancy! I didn't do any Shore Excursions, Spa, or Hot Tub, but I still had a great time. In fact laying in the rocking bed on one of our bad sea days people (other than me) could feel the baby for the first time. I think she really liked the rocking!

Plus there's all kinds of food everywhere, whenever! So it worked well with my eating!

Just make sure your friend in their 2nd trimester does all the stuff they're supposed to with the cruise line. I had to fax a doctors note to the cruise line!

I met the friend I'm cruising with this time on a cruise in 2004 when she was 5 mos pregnant. She walked 3 miles from the port to downtown Cozumel and then walked back so I'd say that as long as the health is OK there is a lot a person in their second trimester can do. And as far as the eating a cruise is the best place to be. :D

is a Malaria risk and the Red Cross will not allow you to give blood for 1 year after visiting there. I personally would not get off the ship if I was pregnant when visiting there, I would stay on board. Cozumel is not on the list, not sure about your other destination. Certainly do not eat or drink anything off the ship at any of your destinations either, especially if pregnant or trying.

A few quick things off the top of my head - tell her to bring bottled water off the ship and if she has to buy it in port make SURE the cap has not been previously opened. This goes for soda too. (We were told that before our last cruise...locals refill the bottles and resell them :eek: )

She won't be allowed to do ANY dolphin encounters. Some say it's because the dolphins can bump into the pregnant mom. Some say it's because dolphins can sense the pregnancy and become overly aggressive. Whatever the reason, she won't be allowed to swim with dolphins.

I would add no horseback riding...lol. ;) No jet skiing. Nothing where balance would be required (like the tree top canopy tours) cause pregnancy throws off your sense of balance. And no ice skating. :D

I KNOW there are people who do all of those things during pregnancy...I just think anything that could possibly result in a fall should be avoided.

And make sure she brings a note from her obgyn stating how many weeks she is at the time of sailing. Once she is 28 weeks, she can no longer sail on RCCL.

Thanks for the great advice.

My husband and I are also trying for our first so I may be preggo as well during that time (God willing :p ). I plan on taking it really easy myself if that is the case but i will tell her all this great advice.

I did not know about Belize so that is a good bit of info.

I have done a lot of research on malaria and Belize as I'm travelling there myself in Nov. The malaria is pretty limited to the REALLY rural villages with lots of standing water (not rivers, lakes, ocean, etc) as these breed mosquitos and transmit malaria. In the port area, and those areas close to the port, there is no need for malaria preventative medications according to several travel docs as well as the CDC and WHO.

I totally agree with not drinking the local water!

Archived