What's the food like on the Oriana?

CASPALL

Just wondering what the standards are like at the moment -I see there are a few of you just been on board.

One cruise we were on the food wasn't great, but on our other 3 it was really good. Does it all depend on the exec chef?

Caryl

Just wondering what the standards are like at the moment -I see there are a few of you just been on board.

One cruise we were on the food wasn't great, but on our other 3 it was really good. Does it all depend on the exec chef?

Caryl

Hi, in answer to your question regarding the food served on the ORIANA , we dined in the ORIENTAL restaurant most evenings and I have to say that it was nothing short of excellent. Beautifully presented, plenty of choice and very, very tasty.

In my opinion, the quality of the food (breakfast/lunch time in the restaurant also) was really top notch, We did try the RHODES restaurant one evening, again, excellent.

I also will add that the waiting staff in both restaurants were also first class, nothing was too much trouble and they always greeted us with a smile. We sailed in September 1st , it was our very first cruise ( Iberian Sojourn )... it was fantastic and would not hesitate to book ORIANA again.

Caryl

Hi Caryl,

Now you are about 18 days to soon with your question:D. For in 17 days we board Oriana for the first time.:D

I have to say that if we have a bad meal on Oriana it will be our first one on P&O in 9 cruises. We will try Oriana Rhodes, his restaurant on Arcadia was excellent. I have to say however we do try to avoid meals during the day, having only breakfast, brunch or lunch, but only one of those. We will have one afternoon tea, but only one. If I ate all meals I would never get into any clothes at the end.:D

Are you going on Oriana?

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

In 2006 we sailed on the Oceana in July (7n) and the Oriana in September (18n).

The standard of fare on Orina was as per normal expectation (good to very good) with only one duff main course at dinner (braised beef - tough as old boots). This compared with the worst food we have ever had since the Canberra on the Oceana two months earlier.

It was quite clear that the plating of main courses on a ridiculously small plate together with resultant plate spending a long time under a hot lamp whilst being dressed was contributng to food being dry, sauces splitting and skinning, meat curling up and food being served very hot instead of warm.

I go on the day you come off Dai!!!Classical Lands for 18 wonderful days -and nights (I hope!) We got our tickets yesterday. P&O have really come on in their ticket design -it's all very compact now. Quite efficient!

The one time the food wasn't so good on the Oriana (2 years ago), a lot of people were complaining so maybe they've had to up their game after that. Our friend got congratulated by our waiter for being the only person in the Peninsular who ate up his sponge pudding! It was solid!

Caryl

Left Oriana a few days ago. The food in the dining room (dinner only) was generally good, with some not so good. We soon learned to avoid the steaks. They really are not buying top class steak and it shows in what one table companion termed "chewy". This seemed to be worse in the "well done" ones, so possibly the ledgend of chefs using the poorest meat for them is true. There was also a disaster with the pheasant. Everyone left it and it looked a bit dodgy to me on the plates, though I did not order it thankfully. The waiters are always willing to bring a replacement if asked, but this does mean eating after the rest of the table has finished.

As always with P&O there were loads of potatoes and veg. These were good and had plenty of variety. Puddings were ok and well presented, though not a patch on those in the Conservatory at lunch time. Apple crumble with real British custard - Yum. Generally we thought the best food was in the Conservatory and Al Fresco. Service was good everywhere.

We have never been on a ship yet with perfect food and had no major problems apart from the meat quality in some meals.

David.

Left Oriana a few days ago. The food in the dining room (dinner only) was generally good, with some not so good. We soon learned to avoid the steaks. They really are not buying top class steak and it shows in what one table companion termed "chewy". This seemed to be worse in the "well done" ones, so possibly the ledgend of chefs using the poorest meat for them is true. There was also a disaster with the pheasant. Everyone left it and it looked a bit dodgy to me on the plates, though I did not order it thankfully. The waiters are always willing to bring a replacement if asked, but this does mean eating after the rest of the table has finished.

As always with P&O there were loads of potatoes and veg. These were good and had plenty of variety. Puddings were ok and well presented, though not a patch on those in the Conservatory at lunch time. Apple crumble with real British custard - Yum. Generally we thought the best food was in the Conservatory and Al Fresco. Service was good everywhere.

We have never been on a ship yet with perfect food and had no major problems apart from the meat quality in some meals.

David.

David,

I tend to have a steak at least once off the left hand side and have never been disappointed, I do have them medium rare.

I shall see on Oriana in 17days:D. This will be our first time on Oriana.

When it is on the menu, I always go for Steak Tournedos, they have been mouthwatering.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Caryl

The food on the Oriana has never been anything less than excellent!

We are about to get back on board X717 after the 2 day trip and really looking forward to our turn at the table again (plus a celebratory meal in the Gary Rhodes "Cafe":)) So enjoy.

Regards

Clive

The food on the Oriana has never been anything less than excellent!

We are about to get back on board X717 after the 2 day trip and really looking forward to our turn at the table again (plus a celebratory meal in the Gary Rhodes "Cafe":)) So enjoy.

Regards

Clive

see you there Clive!............i am thinking of booking Gary rhodes too, have you eaten there before? if so is it worth the extra.

Lou

"They really are not buying top class steak and it shows in what one table companion termed "chewy" "

You are so right. These little frozen sirloin steaks they use are a very cheap bulk buy. I realised on our first cruise not to go for this option.

The steaks on the main menu -filet/ribeye/whatever are a different quality altogether.

Archived