Eli's Eco Tour

t_nix

How was it? Any tips on what to bring? Any problems getting back to the boat on time?

Tiffany

Tiffany,

Was going to ask you on how was the tour. Then I look at your countdown clock and found that when you will be getting off. We will be boarding:)

Paul

Paul-

Well that stinks! :) Have you been to adventureantigua.com yet? I think the pics look cool and they were very fast to respond to my questions and booking was very easy! If things go as smoothly as they have so far, and if the pics acuratly represent where we will be going, then I think it is going to be a great time!

Have you booked your excursions for your other ports?

Tiffany

Paul-

Well that stinks! :) Have you been to adventureantigua.com yet? I think the pics look cool and they were very fast to respond to my questions and booking was very easy! If things go as smoothly as they have so far, and if the pics acuratly represent where we will be going, then I think it is going to be a great time!

Have you booked your excursions for your other ports?

Tiffany

Tiffany,

Yes book for all the Islands just can't wait

Did you get the 10% on line discount hope so. Are you going to do a posting of your tours. I plan to

Paul

This will be our 6th cruise.

How was it? Any tips on what to bring? Any problems getting back to the boat on time?

Tiffany

I'm a snorkel nut and I rate Eli as the class operation in the whole of the Caribbean, bar none.

It's fun, entertaining, informative and the snorkeling is great. What more could any snorkeler want?:)

Here are the boarding instrutions:

We will be picking you up outside ‘Exotica Antigua’ Boutique on the Redcliffe Quay Board Walk (wooden Dock), in St. John's, which is 3 minutes walk from your ship dock, at 9:50am (the boat leaves at 10am) and have you back by 4:15pm at the latest.

The boat is an open white power-cat 52 foot long with a large white top. It has a large “Adventure Antigua” sign on the side of the hull. We encourage all our guests to please be ON TIME because we may have other people to pick up along the way.

Please note that when you get off your ship onto the cruise ship dock, you pass through the Security gate on to a wooden boardwalk. Follow this boardwalk to the Exotic Antigua Boutique which should be no more than a 3-5min walk from your ship's dock. If you run into any problems at all, which you will not :) you can call me at 726-6355 with an area code of 268.

We did Eli's Eco tour about two years ago. We are a family of 4 (mom, dad, then 15yr old and 11yr old girls) and we loved the day. Eli and his crew were great. Took us to places where not one else was...told stories of growing up on the island, camping out as a youth...taking the "esentials" like sleeping bag and spices. (Spices??? yes for when they caught seafood and cooked it on the fire). We still talk about this to this day.

1208838214_Eli_s_Boat1.jpg.7b34052e48d156a234c245e595478e21.jpg

we did the eli's tour over this past summer, we did the one with the "fast" boat. we did the tour with some "thrifty" friends who were leery of paying that much for a tour. to this day they said that was the best $$ spent on the cruise. the crew was awsome.....you got to see & learn so much ( now when "brittney" goes to rehab...we say hey, we know were that is!!!!!

I would defiantly spend the $$ to do it again!

We did the Adventure Antigua Eco Tour last week and I was blown away by how wonderful it was! This was one of the best tours I have ever taken anywhere. It was so personal, we saw so much, got to do a little hiking, snorkeling, climbing around Hell's Gate, seeing the island. Truely wonderful, I can't recommend it enough. The guides were so friendly and helpful and entertaining. This is an incredible tour. Oh, and lunch was AWESOME!

We've done both tours (the eco tour 4 times, and the xtreme once, and only once because of timing - we'd gladly do it again), and the snorkeling opportunities on is good. On the EcoTour there are multiple snorkeling opportunities - once at the reef, at Hells Gate you can choose to snorkel instead, and at Bird Island there's a shallow snorkeling opportunity. On the Xtreme, there's an area by the rays where you can snorkel, but it's not large, and the main snorkeling stop is at Pillars of Hercules, outside English Harbor.

We loved the Eco Tour. We have done both of their tours (from Adventure Antigua).

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their eco tour is sold out when we want it, but their Circu tour is still available for the three of us. As you have been on both tours, is the more expensive tour really worth it? For three it gets kind of expenssive. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Jodie,

Can you tell me if older people would enjoy both tours, or is the Extreme too extreme. Mom is 72, but likes to go still! Also, can you tell me about the pillars. We want to snorkle and was wondering which trip offered the better sea life. Are the pillars just seeing rock formations? or are there other interesting things to spot? Thanks for any information.

Teri

Their eco tour is sold out when we want it, but their Circu tour is still available for the three of us. As you have been on both tours, is the more expensive tour really worth it? For three it gets kind of expenssive. Thanks

We thought it was worth it... but it is completely a matter of opinion and what you like to do. We love fast boats... love to be on the water... love to swim and snorkle... we had a great time on both tours. We learned alot about Antigua from the guides... saw some great scenery... overall, it was just a fantastic experience. (both tours).

Marylandcrab, we thought it was worth it too, that speed boat is a blast! And I think that the level of experience you get from either of Eli's tours is well worth the price you pay for them. Small number of people, attentive, informative and fund.

Santacruzer, I really think taking your mom on Xtreme depends on her physical condition. The ride can be very bumpy up front, and you can get pretty wet toward the back. And while there is shade available, there's a lot of sun exposure, too. I don't think my mid to late 70's parents would do well. Of course, my mother has physical ailments that would make it difficult for her, and my dad gets seasick. How active is your mom? It's easy to step into the boat at the dock in St. John, and at the sting rays, but she'd have to climb down and back up an on at Green Island for lunch, and at Runaway Bay, the afternoon beach break, and if she snorkels at the Pillars of Hercules. I guess if she still likes amusement park rides, she'd be okay. I'd really recommend you write Adventure Antigua and ask - while we've never been on either excursion with anyone in their 70's, they can tell you what their experience with a more senior visitor has been.

The day we were on the Xtreme, it was a little cooler than I like for snorkeling (we're January cruisers), and I didn't get in the water at the Pillars. There had also been a fair amount of rain for the 2 weeks prior, and visibility was more limited than usual. My husband did snorkel there, and says the variety is better at Cades Reef (visited on the Eco Tour), and because the Pillars of Hercules is near the entrance to the English Harbor, it gets deep fairly quickly.

How far in advance do you need to book Eli's eco tour? We will be cruising end of March 2008. Also, is there a problem if some of the members can't swim? Floatation devices for snorkeling?

We booked at the end of April 2007 for our Dec. 2007 tour. I can't swim, but I snorkel. I bring my own equipment, including a snorkel vest, but all of this is provided if you don't mind using a snorkel that has been in a million mouths, etc.

I have a question about Eli's tour. I have been on his website already, so I know there are two tours. Has anyone done both and if so what were the main differences to you personally and which did you prefer? I am going to be there in a week and want to make a decision on which one and book it. Thx in advance for opinions!

We've done both, and the website describes them well. The activities and focuses are different on the two. We like them both, maybe the eco tour a little more. The boat used for the Xtreme is a blast - fast, fast, fast. The eco tour doesn't take you to the stingrays, or to see English Harbor. Or around the entire island, for that matter. The Xtreme doesn't take you to Bird Island or Hells Gate, and the snorkeling site is different. We'd do either one again in a heart beat. Sorry I can't be more help, but I can tell you that if you're only a week out, you may be limited by availability - the Eco Tour frequently books up pretty far in advance.

Jodi that is a HUGE help. I really wanted to go to Bird Island so my mind is made up between the two. One more thing, since you have been on both, did each tour have about the same amount of people on the boat? Thanks!!!!!

We have also done both. They each have a small amount of people... very personal tours. I don't think there were more than 15-20 on each. They book up fast, I hope you get to go. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!!

Jodi that is a HUGE help. I really wanted to go to Bird Island so my mind is made up between the two. One more thing, since you have been on both, did each tour have about the same amount of people on the boat? Thanks!!!!!

Why thank you! I actually think it wasn't going to be much help at all :)

The Xtreme usually has fewer people. However, neither one is crowded. I think they limit the EcoTour to about 25 people, although there's room for more on the boat. Tell the crew Jodi and Ernie said hi (especially Tony!)

Archived