MRSA Staph Infection

TonyaJune

I'm totally skipping the tub.

In reference to the original post, my son just came home with a letter that a classmate has this staph infection. Now I'm wondering why it would take media attention of this infection for parents to start getting this letter. If it's been around as long as everyone says it has, and it so contagious, I wonder why the school hasn't given us a heads up before? :confused:

I remember when my kids were in elementary school and I was volunteering in the classroom one of the kids had a horrible case of impetigo, which is a staph infection. I asked the teacher why he was still there and shouldn't he be sent home as impetigo was and is highly contagious. They made the decision to let him stay at school. That's been 20 years ago! I just don't think that people really realized what a staph infection was and how contagious it is.

Per my earlier post regarding the flesh eating bacteria in the ocean...I wasn't kidding...it does exist. Earlier this last summer there was a man who had gone swimming in Galveston and contracted the flesh eating bacteria through an open wound in his leg. He almost had to have his leg amputated. He was very, very sick. It definitely would make you think twice before jumping in the water...especially with any kind of scrape or cut on your body.

Archived