MRSA Staph Infection

TonyaJune

With all we are hearing in the news about the latest string of staph infections, how safe is it to use the hot tubs onboard?

I wonder how often they sanitize the hot tubs.:( I really enjoy relaxing in them, but don't want to take a risk of catching this.

Maybe I can purchase the testing strips to make sure the levels are right before I use it.:D With all of the use they get it would seem like they would need to be tested often to make sure they are safe.

I have seem the staff cleaning them on the ships, but have never noticed any one testing the water.

My Doctor advised me not to use the public hot tubs.

They have to be at a certain temperature - 102 degrees, and a lot of people do not like it that hot, so cruise lines keep it much cooler.

Also you should only stay in a hot tub about 15 - 20 minutes if it is at the proper hot temperature.

I have seen people sitting in them hours at a time, so they cannot be real hot, like they should be.

We have one in the backyard now that I use year round. Keep the temperature at 103, and after 15 minutes, that seems to be enought time for me.

MRSA isn't new. The news have just latched onto the recent cases and gone crazy. Must be a slow news week. :rolleyes:

My dad broke his foot 4 years ago. Went to the hospital, had surgery, contracted MRSA and his leg was amputated one month later when it ate his bone away. :eek:

My daughter's preschool teacher had a baby, she went to visit her great grandmother in a nursing home, the mom changed her diaper, the baby contracted MRSA through a diaper rash, then the mom got it from the daughter. This was 2 years ago, the "baby" is now in preschool with MY baby.

My uncle had a sore on his feet (from diabetes) he contracted MRSA, died from it when it infected his blood. That was 3 years ago.

MRSA is NOT new. Many people carry MRSA but they aren't sick and they don't know it. The only way to know if you have MRSA is to do a culture (from the nose).

I don't get into hottubs anyway. But catching MRSA from a hottub is the least of my worries. :rolleyes:

MRSA isn't new. The news have just latched onto the recent cases and gone crazy. Must be a slow news week. :rolleyes:

My dad broke his foot 4 years ago. Went to the hospital, had surgery, contracted MRSA and his leg was amputated one month later when it ate his bone away. :eek:

My daughter's preschool teacher had a baby, she went to visit her great grandmother in a nursing home, the mom changed her diaper, the baby contracted MRSA through a diaper rash, then the mom got it from the daughter. This was 2 years ago, the "baby" is now in preschool with MY baby.

My uncle had a sore on his feet (from diabetes) he contracted MRSA, died from it when it infected his blood. That was 3 years ago.

MRSA is NOT new. Many people carry MRSA but they aren't sick and they don't know it. The only way to know if you have MRSA is to do a culture (from the nose).

I don't get into hottubs anyway. But catching MRSA from a hottub is the least of my worries. :rolleyes:

What is new is that it is beginning to show up outside of the hospital/healthcare setting. Your examples all go back to contact from a hospital/nursing home source. They are now seeing MRSA where there is no healthcare facility point of contact. That is the concerning part and why it has hit the news recently.

But, yes, I will agree a slow news week, hasn't hurt.....;)

Will the possibility of catching a flesh eating bacteria keep you out of the ocean? Probably not, but it's out there! You just can't worry about everything that might or could happen. If you saw the infectious disease reports from the hospitals you would NEVER have any surgery! I think cruisinmama06 is right...it was a slow news week!

Definitely not a new thing. My older son came home from the hospital with a staph infection after I gave birth. That was 19 years ago. Like Michele said, it was a slow news week. Until now with all those wildfires in S. Cal. unfortunately. :(

The media will sensationalize anything they can get there hands on. :rolleyes:

MRSA is not the only infection that you can get from a hot tub. My cousin contracted some sort of horrible infection from a hotel hot tub and almost had to have her leg amputated. Thank goodness they beat it with antibiotics. I don't use public hot tubs, but only because they make me feel like I am in a giant stew....yyyeewww!!!:eek:

And about reusing those damp towels while onboard......:D :D :D Wait, that was another thread! :o

I kind of miss that thread! Especially the post about how one can contract ringworms by re-using one's own towel.

I kind of miss that thread! Especially the post about how one can contract ringworms by re-using one's own towel.

Not to derail the thread but athlete's foot, jock itch and ringworm are essentially the same fungus - if you have this fungus on one part of your body it's quite possible to spread it to another part of your body by re-using a towel that has already come into contact with the infected area.

Maybe I can purchase the testing strips to make sure the levels are right before I use it.:D With all of the use they get it would seem like they would need to be tested often to make sure they are safe.

Now that is one thing i have NOT seen on any cruise ship packing list!!:D :D I would not get in the hot tubs on a cruise ship. I have one in my own backyard, and that's good enough for ME!!:D

Not to derail the thread but athlete's foot, jock itch and ringworm are essentially the same fungus - if you have this fungus on one part of your body it's quite possible to spread it to another part of your body by re-using a towel that has already come into contact with the infected area.

Hey, don't go trying to take credit for derailing this thread. I believe I have the honors there. ;) :D

Archived