Honolulu Pre Cruise Activities

DivotMaker

Wife and I are celebrating our 15th with a cruise to Hawaii on the 27th aboard NCL's POA. We arrive in Honolulu at 11:15, and the ship sets sail at 8:00 (boarding begins at 1:00). We're debating doing a few things before getting on the ship, but haven't come up with any good ideas yet. We have a rental car reserved as of now too. We were considering visiting Pearl Harbor but after reading about the need to stand in line at 7:30 for tickets, we decided against that. Can anyone recommend some options or would we just be better off going straight to the ship? Thanks for any help.

If Pearl Harbor is something you really want to do and that is the only day you can do it, I would still go over there to see if they have tickets. Some days they run out early, other days people can still get tickets. I think the last ones are passed out at 1:30, but I could be wrong. Even if you don't get a ticket, I think you can still tour the grounds which include a 5 minute audio tour. Just a thought.

You may want to just settle onto the ship that first day.... it would be very hectic to try to check onboard then backtrack to PH - doubt you could get there from ship before 1pm and last tours depart around 3pm.

I agree that PH is a must see but trying to fit it in before you sail on first day sounds tricky.

Put ALL YOUR LUGGAGE in your trunk and do the Diamond Head hike. Don't open the trunk when you get to the parking lot inside Diamond Head and your luggage should be safe. Take your camera, take water, wear comfortable tennis shoes. You will get one of the best views of Honolulu you can find.

Other options are do the Manoa Falls Hike. NEED mosquito repellant and if it's been raining, expect to get muddy. You could also do the Makapuu Lighthouse hike. If you want to see really blue oceans, this is the one to do. You can also see whales from the cliffs in Dec-Mar. If you're into shopping, go to Ala Moana for a few hours, have lunch, relax. You could also walk along Ala Moana Beach or Kakaako Park. Take your shoes off and feel the sand. Or you could just hang out at the Aloha Tower Marketplace, have lunch and relax. Main suggestion to you is RELAX DARN IT!!!

What about a drive to the Dole plantation? It's close enough. And just take in the views along the way. Not the best thing to do but with 2 hours and on the same side of the island as the peir it would work.

We plan to visit there on our way to the north shore even tough it touristy heard it has different stuff in the gift shop and you could get a dole whip.

You know, I think we might just do that. I've read about the North Shore drive to Turtle Bay, so here's what I'm thinking:

-Drive to Dole Plantation for a quick stop and grab a whip

-Visit Aoki's for a shave ice

-Visit Turtle Bay

-Giovanni's shrimp truck for lunch

-Return to ship

Anyone have an idea how long this trip would take? If we're on the road by noon, I'm hoping to be back by 4 or 5...Is that enough time?

Thanks!

You know, I think we might just do that. I've read about the North Shore drive to Turtle Bay, so here's what I'm thinking:

-Drive to Dole Plantation for a quick stop and grab a whip

-Visit Aoki's for a shave ice

-Visit Turtle Bay

-Giovanni's shrimp truck for lunch

-Return to ship

Anyone have an idea how long this trip would take? If we're on the road by noon, I'm hoping to be back by 4 or 5...Is that enough time?

Thanks!

From my research I would say yes. I believe it's a 60 minute plus drive.

I'm sure someone else here will let you know what time to turn around to make it at that time.

A little time to enjoy and see some of Oahu before boarding sounds like a nice plan.:D

• Administrators

I'm sure someone else here will let you know what time to turn around to make it at that time.

A little time to enjoy and see some of Oahu before boarding sounds like a nice plan.:D

I agree, but I'd also caution the OP not to book anything not refundable, in case of flight delays coming into HNL. If your 11:15 arrival turns into a 2:15 arrival or later, you might have to scrap plans for the North Shore tour and just head to the ship. If you meant Saturday, Oct. 27th as your arrival date, know that weekends are also a busy time on the North Shore, and King Kamehameha Highway can be very crowded -- actual drive times can take much longer than it looks like it would from the distances on the map. Have a wonderful cruise!

It's do-able but distance and time don't always match up on the North Shore. There are often bad traffic jams.

Viv

I would also caution you to get that all in. The drive is beautiful but traffic is bad in that area around Honolulu. PLus you have to return the car and get back to the ship. You may want to just get to the ship, leave your stuff there and then head to Waikiki Beach for a few hours, have lunch on the beach and relax. You could also drive along the west shore from the airport towards the Mariott and hang out there for awhile.(less traffic then crossing over east)

We just found some days dropping off cars and waiting for a shuttle took longer than we planned on. I do think you should try and do Pearl Harbor if you can. It was so moving and I would have been disappointed to miss it. I am not sure if you can walk around if they stop selling tickets for the memorial but someone should know. I have heard various reports on the Dole tour being so-so. Turtle Bay is Awesome though. whatever you do have fun and don't miss the boat.

My husband and I were recently in Oahu on NCL's Sun. We visited Pearl Harbor on the same day that there were 4 ships in port. We arrived at the ticket counter at 12 pm. We got a ticket to tour at 1:15. I heard later that the lines were horrendous in the morning. Also Aoki's for shaved ice is unforgettable!

Archived