Which ports on our own vs. book an excursion.

jp2001

I’m going on the ‘’Circle the Caribbean’’ 13-night cruise on Norwegian Spirit on October 18, 2008.

Here are the ports of call: Samana, St.Thomas, Aruba, Belize City, Roatan, Cozumel.

We don’t want to go on an excursion at every port of call (to keep the cost low and because, sometimes, we like to just walk around nice areas/beach/shop/visit attractions in the port area.

What, in your opinion, are the ports that are nice to visit by foot without an excursion booked and which ports are in the ‘’nowhere’’ and need transportation to get around.

Also, if you have suggestions for any of these ports of calls, please let me know. (we are not very good swimmers, we don’t want to snorkel or do other activities involving a great amount of swimming).

Thank you in advance!

JP

Magen's Bay Beach is a good swimming beach-in St. Thomas, easy to get a taxi to- St. John is a good excursion. Charlotte Amalie is a good shopping port- if a little congested. We take the shuttle from the ship and walk around and then hop the shuttle back.

In Aruba, a cruiser can spend a good portion of the day walking around Oranjestad (with a good street map) or take a cab to Palm Beach, near the Radisson.

I agree Aruba and St. Thomas are very nice and easy to get around. The ship docks right in town where there are shops etc and easy access to transportation.

I would book an excursion for Belize. The ship doesn't dock, you tender in and there isn't much at the port and the area surrounding the little shopping area is pretty seedy.

Roatan is very poor. I liked it...I like getting to meet local people, see the sites, not the typical cruise stuff. The ship docks right at the town, but some people might not feel as safe as other ports, so depending on your interests you may want to book an excursion.

Cozumel..depending where you dock you may be a ways from the shops. It's easy to get a cab etc. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Cozumel so we book an excursion there.

The other one I haven't been to. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
I’m going on the ‘’Circle the Caribbean’’ 13-night cruise on Norwegian Spirit on October 18, 2008.

Here are the ports of call: Samana, St.Thomas, Aruba, Belize City, Roatan, Cozumel.

We don’t want to go on an excursion at every port of call (to keep the cost low and because, sometimes, we like to just walk around nice areas/beach/shop/visit attractions in the port area.

What, in your opinion, are the ports that are nice to visit by foot without an excursion booked and which ports are in the ‘’nowhere’’ and need transportation to get around.

Also, if you have suggestions for any of these ports of calls, please let me know. (we are not very good swimmers, we don’t want to snorkel or do other activities involving a great amount of swimming).

Thank you in advance!

JP

Aruba is very nice, to visit by yourself unless you dock there on a saturday, since it is Sabbath day, almost everything is close, Anyway on our first visit we booked a tour, it was very interesting about $55 each

Cozumel is nice too, but we took a cab with another family and went to see the ruins, very éducational and not expensive $15 each for a group of 6

Belize City, Costa Rica we went to visit Banana's Plantation, very educational, you will respect the work around banana when you go back home

Roatan the city tour we booked, took us to coral reefs, beaches, but since the hurricane, it might not look the same, it is very expensive, since they export most of things from main land Honduras

By the way, even if you don't swim well, snorkling is kind of fun, I don't swim and I go on every cruise, I always bring my underwater camera, it feel like playing into an aquarium, You always stay above the water and watching all those fishes is fantastic.

Have a nice cruise and look foward for the next one

• 3 months later...

We were just at Samana. We were not allowed to go to the mainland on our own due to safety issues, only to Cayo Levantado (aka Baccardi Island). It is very beautiful and a suitable place to swim and lay in the sun, there is a flea market for T-shirts etc. and a hotel that won't let you in.

Bodger

• 1 month later...

First, you are going to have a great time. The ports you are stopping at are amazing.

Two weeks ago, I was on the NCL Sun visiting Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel. I have also been to St. Thomas twice. I can only comment on those ports. Also, my husband and I are like you…we are not beach type people. Instead, we like to explore and experience the culture.

ROATAN – I would suggest you book an excursion either from the cruise line or private. We booked a private tour with Victor Bodden and had a great time. We are a little adventurous. We included the extreme zip line in our “Amazing Roatan Tour”. If you go with Victor, I would recommend request George. He was our tour guide, and he knew a lot about the area.

Belize City – Once again, I would book an excursion or private tour. This is not a tourist type port. You will have to drive to see and experience the area. We booked a private tour again (by the way this was the first cruise that I booked private tours and was pleased). We visit the Altun Ha Mayan ruins. You are allowed to climb to the top of one of the ruins.

Cozumel – You are going to love Cozumel. There are two different ports. They are in walking distance. I suggest you visit both. There are a lot of shops at this port and during the day you can see a culture dance. If you want to be adventurous, I suggest booking the ATV excursions through Island Marketing. We had a blast and got dirty at the same time.

St. Thomas – If you are into shopping, you can walk around St. Thomas. Just be warned, you will be asked if you want your hair braided constantly. I have short hair, and I was still asked.

I hope this help and happy cruising! :D

Archived