Looking for a Hotel Recommendation in Rome

We (2 couples)will be going on a cruise which departs from Rome in June of 2008. We hope to spend several days in Rome prior to the cruise and I am hoping to get some recommendations for hotels that do not end up costing as much as the cruise. We would like one close to Vatican City. If you have a recommentation that would require public transportation but is a nice hotel, please send that information too.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Last year we stayed at Hotel Alimandi, which is right across the street from the Vatican! It's a wonderful hotel, family-run and friendly, and has anything you'd want besides a great full breakfast served on the rooftop. Look it up on tripadvisor.com, where it's rated very highly. We would stay there again any time we get back to Rome!

:) look no further this hotel is excellent...call them or email them for reservations...last year a free shuttle from the airport to their hotel was included as was a breakfast..we even found other guests going to the port so we paid the hotel to take us directly to the port for a nominal fee..it is also across from the vatican museum and we found cafes and a supermarket nearby..:)

We recently stayed at the Santa Maria in Trastevere. I'm not sure if it's walking distance to the Vatican or not but I loved the location for all of the restaurants and atmosphere near by. The rooms were clean and big and the price was right by Rome standards. Last year we stayed at the Hilton and were quite disappointed. A friend from our transatlantic recomended the Santa Maria so we decided to try it this year and we thought it was a great value.

We stayed at the Hotel Arenula, This was a great hotel that was clean, good breakfast and within walking distance of everything.

If your looking for a clean basic hotel this one was recommended to us by relatives who live in Italy.

At a cost of 125 euro per night per room inc. breakfast we found it hard to beat. :D

We are booking it again for our Oct 08 trip.

I should have said Hotel Alimandi Vaticano. It's rated #2 on tripadvisor for Rome and the name I mistakenly wrote in my earlier post, a different hotel, is rated #58. :)

Presently rated #4, when I just checked and an average price range of $273. Looks like a lovely place, but I'm trying to keep under $200. Another poster recommended a website that had B&Bs and hotels run by religious groups. I found Domus Aurelia, also close to the Vatican for only 72 EUR or approx $113 right now. They have a lift and balconies, so I will forego some of the fancy, elegant hotels. Going to give Domus Aurelia a try.

There are more affordable places, if you just keep searching, it's not necessary to pay $300-400-500 per night.

Happy travels!

Presently rated #4, when I just checked and an average price range of $273. Looks like a lovely place, but I'm trying to keep under $200.

Hi agabbymama,

That's strange, just now it still shows #2 on Trip Advisor. In any case, out of over 1100 hotels in Rome, either one isn't bad :D When we went last year it ran us around $150/night US. Too bad it's so much higher now.

I can understand trying to keep the costs down, have you looked at www.ricksteves.com? He should list a number of affordable hotels he recommends. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Hi agabbymama,

That's strange, just now it still shows #2 on Trip Advisor. In any case, out of over 1100 hotels in Rome, either one isn't bad :D When we went last year it ran us around $150/night US. Too bad it's so much higher now.

I can understand trying to keep the costs down, have you looked at www.ricksteves.com? He should list a number of affordable hotels he recommends. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

I went to the website you provided, but I don't see any hotels listed. Looks like you have to buy his guide books? Or am I missing something?

I used to watch his shows all the time until they removed the travel channel from my area. Now I don't get him anymore.

But I already have my reservations, so it really doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks, I sure hope we have a good time, at the most expensive trip I've ever taken, we better! We will if it kills us.

I went to the website you provided, but I don't see any hotels listed. Looks like you have to buy his guide books? Or am I missing something?

I used to watch his shows all the time until they removed the travel channel from my area. Now I don't get him anymore.

But I already have my reservations, so it really doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks, I sure hope we have a good time, at the most expensive trip I've ever taken, we better! We will if it kills us.

Glad you have your reservations! For future reference, you shouldn't have to buy Rick Steves' guidebooks, but it looks like you have to do a search around the website, around the "graffiti wall" and "travel tips". We live near his Travel Center in Edmonds, WA and are going there this Saturday for the annual Fall Festival. Lots of good info, and he does several lectures himself.

Anyway, I agree about the expense. We're going on a Athens-London cruise in May. The American dollar just doesn't go as far as the last time we went :(

Anyway, I agree about the expense. We're going on a Athens-London cruise in May. The American dollar just doesn't go as far as the last time we went :(

You're right, I'm so glad I did some traveling pre-EURO, as it was a lot more affordable. I wouldn't be able to do the traveling to Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and Germany at the rates today. I did pay $150 for a beautiful CastleHotel in Germany, but other than that, we never paid over $40-50 for a twin room in any of the hotels. And in Italy, they were about $27-30 per night. We were fortunate to have friends in Greece, so didn't pay for a hotel there at all, we stayed with them and they acted as our guides.

If the prices keep rising, I fear this will have to be my last trip to Europe.

Have you been to Athens before? It's as Historical as Rome, with lots to see and do. I was especially impressed with the National Park in the middle of the city. Reminds me of Central Park in New York, once inside the park, you don't realize you are in the middle of a big cosmopolitan city. And the Plaka area at the bottom of the Acropolis was unique too.

Have a great trip!

And thanks for the tips, I will check out Rick' website further.

Have you been to Athens before? It's as Historical as Rome, with lots to see and do. I was especially impressed with the National Park in the middle of the city. Reminds me of Central Park in New York, once inside the park, you don't realize you are in the middle of a big cosmopolitan city. And the Plaka area at the bottom of the Acropolis was unique too.

Have a great trip!

We had about 3 hours :eek: in Athens last year as it was at the end of our cruise. Basically we took the ship's transfer to the airport with "photo ops" on the way. We had taken a week before the cruise to see Paris (2nd time), Rome and Venice, and just couldn't take more time (or money) to see more of Athens then. This time we will have 3 days and nights in Athens pre-cruise and I'm so excited to be able to see more!

This will probably be our last trip to Europe for awhile too, just too expensive now.

Archived