Port tp Ciampino Airport

Hi there, wondering if anyone has any experience getting to Ciampino airport rather than Fiumicino? I realize it's further but considering the zoo that is FCO, I'm wondering if the travel time makes a difference in making flights. We're looking to book a 11:50 am flight. Grand Princess says we get into Port at 4:30 am. This is coming in from Naples overnight so she shouldn't be delayed.

Tx

We fly in and out of Rome quite often and have always found FCO to be one of the better large airports in Europe. However, if you want to go all the way over to Ciampino you probably should add another hour on to your transfer time (allow at least 2 hours) keeping in mind that you must go around Rome on the ring road during morning rush hour. I assume you know that Ciampino, although not as busy as FCO, is still a very busy airport.

Hank

We fly in and out of Rome quite often and have always found FCO to be one of the better large airports in Europe. However, if you want to go all the way over to Ciampino you probably should add another hour on to your transfer time (allow at least 2 hours) keeping in mind that you must go around Rome on the ring road during morning rush hour. I assume you know that Ciampino, although not as busy as FCO, is still a very busy airport.

Hank

Thanks, we wouldn't really have a choice of airports as we're looking at spending a week in Provence after our cruise and would fly on Easyjet from Rome to Lyon and of course they use Ciampino. When we flew out of FCO in September it was awful. In the Business Class line, 3rd party in line, it took 45 minutes. Thanks for the info, I was wondering if it would be an extra 1/2 hour or an hour. They only have one flight a day right now to Lyon.

Ahhh. Now I understand and its sure makes sense to go to Provence anytime! We will be in Italy on two ocassions in the next 11 months (May and Sept) and are also considering some land options. Personally, if we were going from Rome to Provence we prefer to rent a car since there is so much between the two regions. The only hassle with rental cars is trying to find a decent price without a huge one-way drop penalty. However, it is very advantageous to pick up a rental car in Civitavecchia. In the time it takes to get to the airport and wait for a flight we can be into Northern Italy :).

Hank

Ahhh. Now I understand and its sure makes sense to go to Provence anytime! We will be in Italy on two ocassions in the next 11 months (May and Sept) and are also considering some land options. Personally, if we were going from Rome to Provence we prefer to rent a car since there is so much between the two regions. The only hassle with rental cars is trying to find a decent price without a huge one-way drop penalty. However, it is very advantageous to pick up a rental car in Civitavecchia. In the time it takes to get to the airport and wait for a flight we can be into Northern Italy :).

Hank

The only issue with that...is .... been there done that ;) we drove from Provence to Rome this past September....really enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. Hubby through the Loire Valley into the mix tonight and if we do that, it might be better to fly into Paris. Will now have to recheck airports to see which is best. I think EasyJet flies into Paris too.

Ahhh. So now your husband has upped the ante (some of us guys drive our wives crazy that way). One of our most memorable trips was a 2 week drive through the Loire Valley (when a Euro cost about 89 cents). If you haven't been to this part of France you would be in for a real treat. For us, one of the best parts was staying at various Chateaus (there are some good web sites with info) and often eating in their fabulous restaurants which were often downstairs (did't have to worry about drinking too much wine). It sounds like you have some tough decisions, but, nobody is going to feel sorry for you :)

Hank

The only hassle with rental cars is trying to find a decent price without a huge one-way drop penalty. However, it is very advantageous to pick up a rental car in Civitavecchia. In the time it takes to get to the airport and wait for a flight we can be into Northern Italy :).

Hank

I just mapquested Rome to Paris, i'm shocked, it's only 12 1/2 hours. That's easily doable in two days. I think we might end up doing that. This Sept. we paid around $350 as a drop fee, but if you take into consideration getting to and from airports, etc. There's probably not much difference. Thanks for the suggestion. This will also take care of any luggage issues taking a small intereuropean flight.

Archived