NCL ... Choose someone else

CoolgramNewYork

It is just as easy to be kind and considerate and compassionate than it is to be cynical, smug and uncaring.

I think this is an extremely good point - and I actually think it's easier to be kind and considerate, in fact. I think some of what people have had issues with is the OP would have us believe that nobody showed any compassion or interest in them at all, nor did anyone employed by the cruise line make any effort to help them or make them more comfortable.

Now, I in no way want to suggest anything about the OP - not that they are a troll, and not that they aren't being honest, but sometimes when we're hurt and upset, we see things differently than they really are. At the very least, it is very easy to misinterpret things. I simply find it very hard to believe that NOBODY on the ship cared about the OP or showed any concern. I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever the crew did, it wasn't 'enough' and it wasn't what was 'expected'. That doesn't mean they did nothing, and it doesn't mean the poster is lying (I want to be REALLY clear that I am not saying that). People misinterpret situations all the time when they're healthy and clear headed. When they're injured and in pain, it can make misunderstandings that much more likely.

For instance, what if the OP was approached by a crewmember as she reboarded, and they were about to extend an offer of a wheelchair when the OP looked at them in pain and what the crewmember saw was anger and animosity? Voila, two misunderstandings. The crewmember thinks they need to respect the OP's privacy and apparent wishes to be left alone, and the OP sees an uncaring crewmember.

Obviously, I wasn't there, this is just a made up example of how misunderstandings can happen. Then, once there's been one misunderstanding, every other experience is clouded by it and it can slowball if nothing brings it to light. Also, if the OP felt that the initial experience (at port and with her husband getting off the ship with their things) was negative, she may have been expecting a negative response when they returned, and that can affect perception as well.

Nobody wishes negativity on anyone (well, except maybe for one poster in this thread :p ), but as I've said, we all see things from our own perspectives based on our unique life experiences. Those of us who feel that our own experiences are dictated by how we manage them, rather than what we expect others to do without being asked, have had a different perspective than some others on the thread. That doesn't make any of us right or wrong, we're just all sharing our points of view. It's all just speculation anyway, since none of us knows what really happened. I would be very surprised if all the people who were around the OP or came into contact with her had the same perception of everything that happened, also. They'd probably sit around sounding like us!! :)

doc, you know that is not what posters are saying about 1st timers: of course we were all first timers. Most of us asked questions, tried to find other cruising with them, etc. when a first timer comes on with very negative comments of course people are going to be suspecious. In this case I can't see where OP could have expected NCL to do anything for her. She was injured, nothing to do with the ship, but sad for sure, she did have access to a phone number (maybe she wasn't aware of it) and has been mentioned, short of a horrible emergancy (heart attack, death, etc) the ship has a schedule that must be kept.

I really don't think the number of times one posts is the issue as much as the type of first postings.

Nita

But Nita, that is exactly what some folks are saying including Goofyisme:

first post + all negative + no return = troll

troll = I don't believe a word they type.

His/her definition of a troll is different than mine, but they have said it in this thread and other threads.

And, I absolutely agree with you on this point. Except for her expectations of empathy and concern I don't know what she wanted or expected. IMO, some of her stated expectations (i.e. no one contacted me) show a certain amount of naivete'. I am not even certain of her condition upon returning to the ship (on crutches, using a cane, etc.). But she "perceived" a lack of concern and empathy on the part of the crew . . . . so, in her mind at least, the crew failed her. I took her entire post with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I cannot and will not ever say that a person writing a first post that is negative automatically equates to a troll, whether they respond to criticism of their post or not. I cringe each and every time I see such a post, because I know that it will only go downhill from there.

Are there trolls who do exactly as Goofyisme describes. Absolutely. Are all first time negative posters (who don't reply to critics) trolls. Absolutely not.

Is the CoolgramNewYork a troll. I personally don't know or even care. I believe she raises a legitimate point. I have seen just the attitude she has described on more than one cruise (as an observer, not a participant). It happens and it shouldn't.

and she hasn't been back/ This always interests me, they post, they disappear and they expect us to see their side of the story. I just can't, for whatever reason.

NIta

With some of these guys who post here, perhaps they don't want to the grief they will get defending their point of view . . . . . . I don't know.

However, Nita, I believe that not being able to ever see their side of the story for whatever reason is just plain shortsightedness on your part.

I believe the OP experienced exactly what they said.

The reason that I would disregard a poster like this is there is no way to balance their opinion. Who ever comes home from vacation and says, "Let me see if I can find someplace to let the whole world know how wonderful NCL is."

This is not only true of this board but many websites.

Archived