Is this really the best place to stay in New York?

CatherineL

Because, for some reason that entirely escapes me, I feel in an unusually benevolent mood this evening. Full of the joys of living and overflowing with goodwill to all men.

Actually, I've got a stinking head-cold and I think the cough mixture must have some secret ingredient that I didn't notice when I read the label.

Jimmy

Does the cough mixture look anything like this?

WDGB0800.jpg

David

No they do not have bike seats or trailors for kids and there are no bikes with training wheels either. I know because I would have loved to do the bike ride with my son.

Oh well, maybe in a couple of years then. He's only 2.

A great tip for if you are doing the open top bus thing is when it gets to lunch hop off at Grand Central Station, which is just beautiful and so "New York", but underneath has the most fabulous food court! It doesn't have any McDonalds or anything like that, but lots of fantastic small outlets catering for every food preferance you can think of! We loved it and will be visiting again next year, if you are travelling with kids it's perfect because you can all have what you want.

Now, tell me. Block to block is 'up' or 'downwards', (north to south or south to north). Is that correct?

Sharon:confused:

The numbered Streets run east to west, and you start counting from downtown and work your way uptown. The named streets (Lexington, Park) and the numbered Avenues (5th Avenue) run north and south, the length of the island. Not sure where east turns to west, but I think it's somewhere around Broadway. But it doesn't really matter, because it immediately becomes rather intuitive. And we are civilised enough here in the US to have street signs that will tell you East or West. :p

Because, for some reason that entirely escapes me, I feel in an unusually benevolent mood this evening. Full of the joys of living and overflowing with goodwill to all men.

Actually, I've got a stinking head-cold and I think the cough mixture must have some secret ingredient that I didn't notice when I read the label.

Jimmy

Hmm. One of the words on that bottle of yours is a letter away from codeine.....hic

Well I'm still busy checking out all the hotels you've all suggested, and seeing what prices I can come up with. New York hotels make London seem cheap.

It's disappointing that the Waldorf deal disappeared. Maybe it will come back.

The deal I found at the New York Palace was three nights for the price of four. It only works out at £169 a night total.

It sounds very nice, but nobody has mentioned it. And I always worry when a deal sounds too good!

Catherine the New York Palace looks lovely. I think that will be a nice quiet location for you both. It isn't too far from Central Park and you are right where all the expensive shops are. You will like this location. Trump Tower is near there I believe. I checked the prices at the Hotel Metro (where I have stayed and it would work out to be $1419 including taxes for Aug.7-11th) That is 687 pounds but this DOES include taxes and free coffee and breakfast of cereals, bagels, donuts and toast.

Also- don't miss tea at the Plaza. It really is a nice experience 2- 5:30 (Mon-Sun). The bicycle rentals (behind the Boathouse Restaurant) in Central Park end at 3PM I believe. That is a nice thing to do in summer. The Central Park Zoo is worth a visit as is the little gift shop there.

Have a great time in New York:)

Thanks - I'm glad it looks good Rebecca Louise, as I'm just not finding any good deals on any of the other places yet! And I'm trying to book something cancelable, as I've done the pay in advance thing before and the hotel decided to renovate - build on another wing, and I wasn't able to change my reservation!

I checked the prices of the Carlton Plaza Central Park but it is extortionate.

I have explained on here before and the Waldorf is an OK hotel but now FAR from perfect, you will pay a high price for the name alone, the corridors are old and tatty but the rooms ok, if you want to stay in an old hotel for the name its fine, book early with hilton and you get a good price , leave it too late and you pay a HIGH price.

we have stayed in many NYC hotels and this year chose to use the hilton garden inn 790 8th ave, I was a little concerned from some reviews, but as a gold hilton VIP member it was free lol, so 5 nights we stayed, I can only say that we have NEVER stayed in a better hotel in the city, it was perfect, just been refurbished, clean, modern, spotless and the staff attended to everything, the new beds were fully adjustable from firm to soft FREE wifi in the room and the restrant is WONDERFUL a top resturant with low prices, am I dreaming. http://www.pigallenyc.com/ .

NYC dont take a taxi, WALK, its the only way, if walking is too much then subway it, with the poor and the rich side by side lol:) .

central park is wonderful to walk through esp on a sat/sun.

now statisics NYC is one of the safest cities in the USA? really.

times sq is amazing and if your hotel is on it, as many hotel are, and the best hotel as well dont worry, they use sound proof double glazing these days.

Just dont worry about it , go, enjoy it, love it.

and remember that kindlychap needs a taxi for his zimmer frame.

rob

Thanks - I'm glad it looks good Rebecca Louise, as I'm just not finding any good deals on any of the other places yet! And I'm trying to book something cancelable, as I've done the pay in advance thing before and the hotel decided to renovate - build on another wing, and I wasn't able to change my reservation!

I checked the prices of the Carlton Plaza Central Park but it is extortionate.

PS

you can book via hilton and cancel up till 4pm on the day, (dont ) you will love it and its just been renovated . but dont book a cheap deal in NYC, also try tripadvisor for reviews

rob

HS,

will you get awa hame. Yer tea's oot an yer mither's lookin fur ye. Promise we'll no hit ye this time by the way.

Yer faither

YOU's looky!

When I was a lad, we had to work t'mill, then coom home an' clean the streets wi tongue, an' we had to drink our tea wi no CUUP!

Ay- You's looky

Does the cough mixture look anything like this?

Nope, it looks more like the attached. Actually, although I've never tasted Pol Acker, I suspect they are pretty similar.

JC

Hmm, Not sure I like anything with LINCTER in it! That's a few letters away from...no never mind! I mean LINCTUS!

Linctus, He never TOUCHED us!

Hmm. One of the words on that bottle of yours is a letter away from codeine.....hic

See above!

Anon

Catherine,

I don't believe I have ever stayed in a hotel IN the city. (I've stayed out on Long Island and such) and not too knowledgeable. I have looked up some stuff for people, but again, nothing from personal experience. I do like the Embassy Suites, think their price is reasonable for New York, and have always been delighted with them. Though they are part of the Hilton Chain.

What I think you might want to do before you get out the map- What do you want to do in New York. Are you a shopper? Macy's Sak's Fifth avenue, Bloomingdales. Hmm, do all those still exist? Let's see, I think Macy was the name that got kept from the Macy's Filene's, GFox and a few others merger. I am NOT a shopper!

Do you want to concentrate on Broadway and plays? Do you want to see the skyscrapers, Lower Manhattan, the financial district? Central Park? Or just all over? If you have a particular hankering, say, you REALLY want to hang out on Broadway, then you need to pick something close to Broadway.

And yes, I consider New York safe, if quirky at night. I have driven or taken the train in, waled around, tired and not totally alert, gone to bars and partied with friends, Madison Square Garden,

I've walked quite a bit. (And I am overweight and handicapped!) Everyone wants to hand you a flyer for something, Just say no thanks and keep walking. Firm but cheerful, usually works just fine.

Best place in the world to just watch the people, check the types of stores and stuff. But that is my thought. think about what you want to do before deciding on where your base should be!

Karie

New York is very safe. It's certainly one of the places I've felt most comfortable in, even walking around on my own after dark!

Catherine are you a bargain hunter? If so get ye to century 21 on Church St. Bargain heaven! Not long now until January! :D

Archived