Is this really the best place to stay in New York?

CatherineL

I think it depends on what type of experience you are looking for in New York City.

Clearly you aren't into the lights and hustle bustle of Times Square (which personally I love.)

If you are looking for a nice restful area there are many outside of Times Square. There is Union Square (Chelsey area) which is quieter and has some nice restaurants and such. The W hotel has a great restaurant "Olives" in the Lobby of the hotel.

Then there is Central Park with the Pierre or the Plaza (pricey though). I really love Central Park.

I like to stay at the Hotel Metro 45 W 35th street. It is in easy walking distance to the Empire State Building, Central Park and Times Square. The doubles are small but the one bedroom suites are a great size for a family of four. The prices are reasonable and they offer 24 hour coffee in the breakfast room and free continental (bagels, toast) every morning in the same room. Good location and on a quiet side street.

Thanks Rebecca Louise. I will check these out, although Matthew has already helped me find a great deal at the Waldorf.

By the way, I don't know if you remember, but it was you that gave me this Atlantic crossing idea. I couldn't decide between Europe and New York and you mentioned you'd done this for your 40th. So, I decided to do it a year early.

And I'm definitely going ahead with it now, as I've just booked the return flights. It's a brilliant feeling booking VA UC on points and only having to pay the tax!

That deal at the Warldorf is amazing! Gotta love that exchange rate! We got an amazing deal for our hotel, Embassy Suites, which suits us as we are a family, less than £260 for two nights including full breakfast!

The Millenium Hilton is an amazing hotel and you can usually find some great rates there.

Thanks Rebecca Louise. I will check these out, although Matthew has already helped me find a great deal at the Waldorf.

By the way, I don't know if you remember, but it was you that gave me this Atlantic crossing idea. I couldn't decide between Europe and New York and you mentioned you'd done this for your 40th. So, I decided to do it a year early.

And I'm definitely going ahead with it now, as I've just booked the return flights. It's a brilliant feeling booking VA UC on points and only having to pay the tax!

Glad I was of help to you. The thing I enjoyed most about sailing into NYC was sitting on a deck chair eating a blueberry muffin and drinking coffee watching the sunrise with a lovely English couple and my six year old son on the promenade deck on the starboard side of the ship. You could see the Statue of Liberty off in the distance just after sailing under the Brooklyn Bridge. Welcome to America!

There is no need to reserve a limo or taxi in advance. When you disembark, there will be plenty of limos (black sedans) and yellow cabs outside. It is slightly faster to get a limo ($55 to Manhattan) versus $ 45 for yellow cabs. Go the extra $ 10 and get in the faster line. Plus, yellow cabs aren't as comfortable.

The things I highly recommend are eating at the Boathouse in Central Park (in spring or summer) or Tavern on the Green in Winter. Both are wonderful places to dine. They rent bicycles at the Boathouse and you can circle Central Park (six miles) in under an hour. This is really a great experience.

The Empire State Building is great at night. Just wonderful. BUY YOUR TICKET IN ADVANCE ON THE INTERNET otherwise you'll stand in an hour long ticket line. Then there is another long line to get up there (be prepared for one hour even with a ticket) but it is worth it.

A visit to Ellis Island is great too. You sail right by the Statue of Liberty and the walking tour of Ellis Island is really great. Take the Subway to Battery Park or Bowling Green and it is a short walk to the Ferries.

I don't know how long you intend to stay but there is a wonderful afternoon tea at the Plaza Hotel (right across from Central Park) Monday- Sunday 2-5. This is really elegant and you may even spot a broadway Celebrity or two.

The Lion King is the show of shows in my opinion.

Have a wonderful TA on Cunard. It is a lovely ship. I really enjoyed having the aft pool and hot tub almost to myself. Make sure to bring your towel in a heavy pool bag (or else your shirt and room key might blow overboard like mine did)

The spa is to die for. The best I've been to on land or sea. Get the aromatherapy massage after that you'll have time to use the complimentary steam room and hydrotherapy pool ($ 28 a day if you don't book a spa treatment). I had my hair done on board and she did a great job but don't buy any products. They were expensive and I didn't like them and left them onboard (waste of $ 60!)

The Planetarium shows are a must. Get you tickets early by the computer lab. They are free but first come first serve.

Play trivia in the Pub at 4PM. You'll meet nice people there.

Happy 39th!

We stayed in Marriott Marquis Oct. '07 and found it excellent - the views of Times Square were awesome. Are going to stay there again in Feb prior to our next cruise as it is so central. If you get a chance, have dinner in The View Restaurant - highly recommend.

I loved my stay at the Marriot Marquis. It was outstanding. I was lucky and booked a room for $ 225 a night. Can't find it that cheap now. The lobby bar and restuarants are so overpriced but the ambiance is nice. This would have been my recommendation if Catherine had wanted Times Square. I agree that it is a great hotel. Would love to try the restuarant sometime.

Hi I am staying at the Marriott Marquis based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and also see that Cunard have it in their new US brochure for 2008. Glad so many recommend it. Don't have a clue how much I am paying for it as I booked the flight hotel and Cruise through my usual TA but it is Tailor made based on my request for BA flight etc etc. No doubt I will have paid quite a bit as I am travelling solo but then I would have to pay this anywhere.

I am looking forward to getting some winter sunshine and I need it as I didn't have such good weather on my October Mediterrean on X Century.

Sue

We love the Michaelangelo. Please check it out. It is quiet absolutely beautiful and the perfect location. http://www.michaelangelohotel.com/

We are staying in New York four nights at the end of the transatlantic voyage. I read on trip advisor that the best place to stay is Times Square. However in the pictures, it looks like one giant circus.

Is this truly the best place to stay? What other area would you recommend? I am looking for a decent four star, as I've always found anything higher a huge waste in a city when we'll be doing a lot of sightseeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Glad I was of help to you. The thing I enjoyed most about sailing into NYC was sitting on a deck chair eating a blueberry muffin and drinking coffee watching the sunrise with a lovely English couple and my six year old son on the promenade deck on the starboard side of the ship. You could see the Statue of Liberty off in the distance just after sailing under the Brooklyn Bridge. Welcome to America!

There is no need to reserve a limo or taxi in advance. When you disembark, there will be plenty of limos (black sedans) and yellow cabs outside. It is slightly faster to get a limo ($55 to Manhattan) versus $ 45 for yellow cabs. Go the extra $ 10 and get in the faster line. Plus, yellow cabs aren't as comfortable.

The things I highly recommend are eating at the Boathouse in Central Park (in spring or summer) or Tavern on the Green in Winter. Both are wonderful places to dine. They rent bicycles at the Boathouse and you can circle Central Park (six miles) in under an hour. This is really a great experience.

The Empire State Building is great at night. Just wonderful. BUY YOUR TICKET IN ADVANCE ON THE INTERNET otherwise you'll stand in an hour long ticket line. Then there is another long line to get up there (be prepared for one hour even with a ticket) but it is worth it.

A visit to Ellis Island is great too. You sail right by the Statue of Liberty and the walking tour of Ellis Island is really great. Take the Subway to Battery Park or Bowling Green and it is a short walk to the Ferries.

I don't know how long you intend to stay but there is a wonderful afternoon tea at the Plaza Hotel (right across from Central Park) Monday- Sunday 2-5. This is really elegant and you may even spot a broadway Celebrity or two.

The Lion King is the show of shows in my opinion.

Have a wonderful TA on Cunard. It is a lovely ship. I really enjoyed having the aft pool and hot tub almost to myself. Make sure to bring your towel in a heavy pool bag (or else your shirt and room key might blow overboard like mine did)

The spa is to die for. The best I've been to on land or sea. Get the aromatherapy massage after that you'll have time to use the complimentary steam room and hydrotherapy pool ($ 28 a day if you don't book a spa treatment). I had my hair done on board and she did a great job but don't buy any products. They were expensive and I didn't like them and left them onboard (waste of $ 60!)

The Planetarium shows are a must. Get you tickets early by the computer lab. They are free but first come first serve.

Play trivia in the Pub at 4PM. You'll meet nice people there.

Happy 39th!

We just returned from a weekend in NYC and had a great time. The hop on/off bus tours are a terrific way to see most of the major sites in the city. Just a note about seeing the Empire State Building -- we were told that the best time to go is about 6:00 p.m. -- much shorter lines. My daughter prefers the view from the top of the Rockfeller Plaza building. You get to see the Empire State Building all lite up at night from there. Have a great stay in NYC. It was my first time there in 20 years and we were amazed at how cleaned up the city was.

Thanks everyone. I'll check all these places out. After I'd booked the flight, I went back to reserve the Waldorf and the deal I found has disappeared! I'm absolutely certain that it was on their website but now it has gone.

The most annoying thing with these American hotels is the additional tax they add on - it really bumps up the rates.

Hi Catherine

I'm not sure of your travel dates, but the Warwick New York has pretty nice rooms as well. Think of that hotel as Waldorf=Astoria lite.

It's a fine property in a convenient location (W55 and 6 Av), and they offer good deals at times. Sometimes at a fraction of what the Waldorf charges.

Give them a shot! :)

http://www.warwickhotels.com

Catherine, if you book and pay for your room in advance you'll avoid the most heavy of the taxes, that's what we did after getting stung last year.

Where abouts in Central Park is the Boathouse? Do they rent child seats or those pull along trailers for kids, that sounds a really nice thing to do.

We stayed at the Belvedere Hotel on West 48th Street in September 2002. It's a couple of blocks from Times Square and the Olympic Diner round the corner was a great place for Breakfast. Wonderful Steak and Eggs! The Hotel was good. Comfortable but nothing outstanding. Just fine for a place to base yourself. We got a good deal by paying in advance. I think the webiste was hoteldiscounts.com but don't quote me.

Last May we stayed at 60 Thomson in SoHo. We loved the area but if you don't get a deal it can be very expensive. And it's a place for the beautiful people to "see and be seen" which was a bit of turn off. They often have "private events" in the rooftop bar!

I think we'd stay in SoHo or Greenwich Village again as the atmosphere was very nice, like a real neighbourhood. Much less stressed that being uptown. The subway makes Midtown accessible in about 15 to 20 minutes. There are a couple of Guest Houses (!) in the Village that get a good write up. However, for a first visit you may want to be up in Midtown or around Central Park.

If you need anything else please ask.

Eddie

The Pierre is one of the more luxurious hotels and it is located on Central Park South/5th Ave, catty corner from the Plaza. Another is the Grand Hyatt at 42nd and Grand Central. The Sheraton Towers at 53rd and 7th Ave are also a great choice. Of course, the Helmsley hotels are also a great choice. The Park Lane is on Central Park South, the NY Helmsley is on 42nd off 2nd Ave near the UN, and the Carlton House on 61st and Madison is in a great location too.

I am a born and bred NY'er and a TA too, and you are right, we are fierce about our loyalty to out city :D

Catherine, if you book and pay for your room in advance you'll avoid the most heavy of the taxes, that's what we did after getting stung last year.

Where abouts in Central Park is the Boathouse? Do they rent child seats or those pull along trailers for kids, that sounds a really nice thing to do.

No they do not have bike seats or trailors for kids and there are no bikes with training wheels either. I know because I would have loved to do the bike ride with my son.

If you go to Central Park- you'll have to ask directions to the Boathouse. It is sort of in the middle of the park around 68th street.

I didn't know you could out an entire city. Some cupboard. Though I suppose you could start with Queens.

HS,

will you get awa hame. Yer tea's oot an yer mither's lookin fur ye. Promise we'll no hit ye this time by the way.

Yer faither

WHY NOT?

Because, for some reason that entirely escapes me, I feel in an unusually benevolent mood this evening. Full of the joys of living and overflowing with goodwill to all men.

Actually, I've got a stinking head-cold and I think the cough mixture must have some secret ingredient that I didn't notice when I read the label.

Jimmy

We are staying in New York four nights at the end of the transatlantic voyage. I read on trip advisor that the best place to stay is Times Square. However in the pictures, it looks like one giant circus.

Is this truly the best place to stay? What other area would you recommend? I am looking for a decent four star, as I've always found anything higher a huge waste in a city when we'll be doing a lot of sightseeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

We loved the Waldorf &, after flirtations with other hotels,we are returning to her. Yes, it isn't the best hotel we've stayed in (in the world), but for new york, it is traditional, has lots of history (& you can feel it ).

Cole Porter's piano being played in the lobby has to be seen to be 'felt'. It is wonderful. If you want to be in the 'nyc' you have grown up with in the movies, the Waldorf is the place to be. (The Bull & Bear reataurant is also great).

BTW, we come from a small market town in the uk & we were nervous,but Times Square is AMAZING. Don't write it off, just go with the flow. Don't eat there though. You don't have to walk too far for good food. We love 'restaurant row' on 46th between 8th & 9th. (Just for us brits who want to feel they are in new york!) We cant wait to go back. Have you tried the 'streaming webcam' on earthcam.com? Just watch, listen & enjoy!

Sorry to go on, but we were'nt sure the first time either. We are now!!

It's 5-10 mins enjoyable walk to central park. Enjoy

Sharon & Steve

He wasn't offended, he was being his version of funny. :)

Central Park is very nice. And as Matthew said, the Waldorf=Astoria is a good choice. You would take a taxi if you wanted to go to one place as quickly as possible, the subway if you wanted to go say, downtown, and didn't have a specific place in mind or weren't in a hurry, and walk if you really want to see the city. The best is take the subway somewhere and then walk around a bit. The natives are quite friendly, there is usually a police officer down on the subway platform, and both natives and officers will be happy to help you get where you want to go.

One thing the children like to do is get an all-day Metro Card--it's replaced subway tokens. You can ride the subway all you want, get on and off wherever you wish, for one reasonable price.

Hope I've helped a little,

Angela, to someone who hasn't been to NY you make it sound so simple.

Having spent a mere 14 nights there, you are so right!! It is welcoming, easy to get around & so, so friendly. Thankyou for a wonderful city & lovely people.

Sharon

If memory serves correctly Central Park is located between 5th and 8th avenues, and runs from 59th to 110th street. I think 20 city blocks (street to street) approximates 1 mile.

Paul

Now, tell me. Block to block is 'up' or 'downwards', (north to south or south to north). Is that correct?

Sharon:confused:

We stayed in Marriott Marquis Oct. '07 and found it excellent - the views of Times Square were awesome. Are going to stay there again in Feb prior to our next cruise as it is so central. If you get a chance, have dinner in The View Restaurant - highly recommend.

Yep, the view restaurant is fab!

Archived