wrapped packages

knarf

Help please....we are flying to St Louis on Dec 7 and will be taking Christmas gifts with us..if they are wrapped and put in our lugggage, will "they" open them to check them? Are you allowed wrapped gifts in your luggage that you are storing under the plane ?

Thaks,

Frank

Do NOT wrap your packages even if you are putting them in your checked luggage. They scan everything going onto the plane (either carryon or checked). If it is wrapped and in your checked baggage, you won't be around to open it for them if it looks questionable to them. Either put the packages in gift bags (i.e. they can take the gift out look at it, and then put it back in the bag without tearing the packaging apeart) or take wrapping paper with you and wrap it when you get to your destination.

All checked luggage is scanned. If TSA decides to open the luggage for a more thorough check then yes, they may open wrapped gifts. Best bet is to use Christmas bags or decorated boxes which you can easily put back in order if need be.

DO NOT wrap gifts that will be taken on board airplanes, either in checked luggage or carry on.

A suggestion is to measure out the wrappiing paper needed for said gift, cut the size of paper needed, fold the paper into squares and then wrap the gift at your destination.

I agree with the above. I've just packed the sheets of paper. Maybe a roll of curly ribbon. No bows. All gifts are in view. Ready to wrap when we get to our family's home. Lately my sister has a roll of paper ready for me when I get to her house so I don't pack any wrappings. Your luggage CAN be opened and inspected. Why take the chance?

And watch out for me!!!! If I have to stand behind one more person this holiday season who has wrapped packages in a large bag that they are trying to run through the scanner, I am going to unwrap the packages MYSELF before we ever get to the scanner. And you won't like the way I unwrap them-MUCH worse than TSA.

Nothing like slowing down the line with wrapped packages during an already stressful air travel time. PLEASE DON'T WRAP YOUR PACKAGES>

And watch out for me!!!! If I have to stand behind one more person this holiday season who has wrapped packages in a large bag that they are trying to run through the scanner, I am going to unwrap the packages MYSELF before we ever get to the scanner. And you won't like the way I unwrap them-MUCH worse than TSA.

Nothing like slowing down the line with wrapped packages during an already stressful air travel time. PLEASE DON'T WRAP YOUR PACKAGES>

VERY GOOD POINT:eek:

If there was only a segmented line at the airport security.....1st time flyers go here, the rest of you over there. That's where the true delays occur - not just because of volume.

If you absolutely have to pre-wrap the presents - send them by mail or UPS. And if you do decide to fly with them, do not complain when they are opened and the packaging destroyed -- you have been warned. And warned. And warned.

While we are on the subject of LOOOOONG security lines this holiday season, I offer a few tips to avoid the wrath of other fliers:

TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES-and please wear something that does NOT require extensive tying and retying. Another real bugaboo of mine-people with lace up boots. Buy some slippers or socks. And PLEASE don't wait until it is your turn to put your stuff in the bins to start getting ready-get it ready to put in the bins while you are standing in line.

Ladies-loose the jewelry. Arrive at the airport early enough so you can go through security "naked", then go to the restroom and put all your sparkles on.

TAKE OFF YOUR JACKETS-even if it is just a blazer. And again, get it off and ready to stuff in the bin BEFORE you get to the bins.

Get your laptops out of their cases. Again, BEFORE you get to the bins unless you fly frequently enough to be adept at taking it out with one hand while placing your shoes in the bin with the other.

DON'T ARGUE with TSA. They are going to confiscate your 4 oz expensive moisturizer, 5 oz perfume. So make sure it is 3 oz or less, in ONE zip lock bag per person. If you want to argue whether something is allowed, go through the line, through the scanner, THEN find a TSA supervisor and argue your case. GET OUT OF THE WAY of the line, PLEASE.

If there is an SSSS on the bottom of your boarding pass, be PREPARED for secondary screening.

And PLEASE NO WRAPPED PACKAGES!!!! I will fly approximately 22,000 miles in the next 5 weeks. My time is as valuable as yours. I would appreciate your cooperation so I can get through the numerous security lines I must pass through so I can be home for Xmas. Nothing worse than being stuck at JFK on Xmas Eve and facing the prospect of Xmas dinner without family and friends at Au Bon Pain. Thanks for making my trips easier and getting me home for Xmas.

Greatam - Great post! I travel weekly for business and the security lines drive me nuts! Typically it's not just the volume of passengers, it's the folks who just don't pay attention. If one more person in front of me has fluids / gels that are in too large of a container and proceed to argue with TSA regarding the amount of stuff in the container I'll be seen on CNN, Fox News, and any other station showing airport rage! Then there are the folks that leave the change in their pockets...oh and the cell phones clipped to their belt.

I agree with flyertalker - there should be segmented lines at security. I just dread getting behind the "inexperienced travelers" when trying to get through security.

Oh, as to the original poster... Please do not wrap your gifts even if putting in checked bags. Remember, not all airports have scanners and some airports still hand search every bag. I'd hate for your gifts to be "confiscated". (Geez...you had no idea the can of worms you were opening with this post did you!)

Okay, now that I'm off the TSA bandwagon:)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Archived