Do you bring your car seat?

MommaOML

My question is for the parents out there with kids under 2 years old. Do you bring your car seat with you for getting from the airport to the hotel/cruise terminal?

If you're bringing baby "in lap" they don't need the car seat for the plane, AND it counts as baby's one allowable piece of checked luggage. So, how do you get around your departure city?

IF your child is 22 - 40lbs...then this is what we use

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Portable-Bryant-Collection/dp/B000K53TFI

It folds up flat and can be packed into the suitcase. After we land, we pull it out of the suitcase and then hop into a taxi.

Before that when my baby was under 2 and under 20lbs, I brought along the convertible car seat carrier and I just carried her through the airport. But I have seen parents' here recomend the baby front packs for that.

The Gogobabyz device requires me to bring BOTH my car seat and this thing. Hmmm ... that hardly seems to solve my luggage problem, because I don't think Air Canada will let me gate check that. I would have to put the car seat into checked luggage, so that rather defeats the purpose.

The Eddie Bauer portable seat isn't approved in Canada and therefore can't be shipped to Canada. For kids products like this, even bringing it across the border can result in confiscation by customs officials. These car seats would likely be viewed in the same light as walkers - banned in Canada, and not allowed across the border!

Sigh ... I hate this. I almost wish for the good-old-days when you just threw your kid in the back of the station wagon :P

ETA - I have a good soft carrier (for front & back carries), and that will most certainly get used in our 2 connecting airports, as it seems uncertain as to whether or not our umbrella stroller will be returned to us in those airports.

It depends. Most of the time I bought a seat for my under 2'er just because it was worth the money/miles to have a little bit more room on a crowded plane. If the baby had a seat then I used the seat on the plane and there was no luggage issue. On the two occasions I can think of where we didn't get the baby a seat, we brought the seat and checked it. No luggage issue as we are pretty light packers and never use our full luggage allotment anyway.

My dd is 12 so this was a while back but we used a car seat on the plane if she had a seat and if not we gate checked the car seat with her stroller. I know air Canada has gate check services. I flew then a couple of years ago and gate checked my wheelchair. Gate checked stuff does not count as luggage. You check it right as you get on the plane and then pick it up right as you get off the plane. Do let the gate agent know what you are checking when you get to the gate so he/she can give you the aprropriate tags.

My dd is 12 so this was a while back but we used a car seat on the plane if she had a seat and if not we gate checked the car seat with her stroller. I know air Canada has gate check services. I flew then a couple of years ago and gate checked my wheelchair. Gate checked stuff does not count as luggage. You check it right as you get on the plane and then pick it up right as you get off the plane. Do let the gate agent know what you are checking when you get to the gate so he/she can give you the aprropriate tags.

This is a good tip. Most airlines will give your under 2'er a boarding pass if the seat next to you is empty. You can then use the carseat in the airline seat and not have to check it. You can bring your carseat to the gate in hopes of getting the free seat and if no such luck, gate check it and not have it count towards luggage. I'd bring along a nice carseat bag in case you can't get your baby a seat - you don't want the seat to get damaged.

I remember reading on a thread somewhere recently that Air Canada is no longer Gate Checking strollers. To me that is really bad news for parents because I can't imagine having to manage my son the whole time in an airport and if I had a connecting flight well that would just be a disaster. I'm not sure what they are thinking with that attitude. I always walk down with my son in arms and the stroller folded so that there is no problems with blocking traffic and unless I'm running tight for a connecting flight I don't rush off the flight anyway and again I grab the stroller and don't put my son in it until I'm in the airport and I notice most parents do the same thing unless it's a single parent with multiple children.

Not just for cruising but in general, we have been totally screwed by two rental car companies and only travel with our own car seat now. Budget let us rent one online, specify what we needed, then we showed up- got the car and no seat. They were "sorry" but they had no seats and wouldn't make arrangements with another company to borrow one. We had to cancel our reservations and go to another company.

A different time, Hertz had only forward facing toddler seats- despite our reservation for an infant seat. They told us to take the car, go to Target, buy one and they'd reimburse us. It was a MESS!

So... if you are renting a car or using any transportation that you'll need a seat, make sure you take one. We've had problems on SuperShuttle (their seat had a completely broken buckle) and we were happy we had our own seat with us.

On the plane- we've done it both ways. Once DS turned 3, his legs were the wrong length to sit in a car seat without kicking the person in front of us constantly, even on accident. He now sits buckled in a regular plane seat and sits crisscross most of the time.

Are kids allowed to sit in a plane seat when they weigh 33 lbs.? How about when we visit the islands. Do they allow kids is regular seats? I never even thought about it because we have two sets of car seats for both vehicles and I know on our public transit system you do not need safety seats.

We use this. Works as a car seat and stroller and can be used from 5 lbs up. Works great in the ports, very flexible and has a huge shade that you can buy. My son flies every 12 weeks and uses this as the side has the FAA approval they automatically let him board in it.

http://www.babyage.com/products/0-4001-sh_tripleplay_tripleplay_5_in_1_sit_n_stroll.htm?cp=goog913&utm_source=goog&utm_medium=Comparison&utm_campaign=91

Are kids allowed to sit in a plane seat when they weigh 33 lbs.? How about when we visit the islands. Do they allow kids is regular seats? I never even thought about it because we have two sets of car seats for both vehicles and I know on our public transit system you do not need safety seats.

They recommend kids sit in car seats, but they don't require it. As far as visiting the islands a lot if not most vehicles you end up traveling in don't have seat belts. Now a Hawaiian cruise or Alaskan cruise would be different and I'm not sure about Puerto Rico.

Air Canada will only gate check umbrella strollers - no car seats. You must put a car seat into checked luggage, or else have your kid sit in the car seat while on the plane (thus paying for a ticket for them). We are flying out of Nowhereville, and have to change planes twice. The first flight ... those planes are ALWAYS full because we go from our tiny airport to an international airport where you can actually get a decent connection. So, I would have to check the car seat at the ticket counter, and I won't see it again until San Diego. The car seat counts as my son's one allowable checked bag.

All the FAA car seat recommendations are great and all, but those car seats are not approved for use in Canada. Actually, I think Canada Customs can confiscate them on my return to Canada. Nice, eh?

Yeah, we could pay extra, but there is always the chance that it gets bumped from the flight because it's "extra". That would suck.

On our last cruise, we checked 5 pieces, which included the car seat. So, it could be done. I would just prefer not to bring it if I can avoid it. Plus, this cruise is 3 more nights.

I suppose I could buy diapers once we land in San Diego or first thing in the morning. That would save some room in the luggage for the flight.

Don't know how long the flight is from Canada but I would pay for a seat for the baby and bring a car seat. You'll all be happier.

I'll be much happier with $600 in my pocket, which is what it would cost us to get him a seat.

There's no flight over 3 hours, since each one is a short flight. For that, we can tough it out.

Wow! That is expensive. How old is your child? I am asking because when I booked flights with my baby, I requested a bulkhead seat. That way we had more leg room and my son, then 6 months, sat on a little blanket on the floor and played. This was nice for us. And if your child isn't sitting up- this was a good spot for an infant carrier.

I suppose I could buy diapers once we land in San Diego or first thing in the morning. That would save some room in the luggage for the flight.

I was surprised at how many diapers I could fit into the outer pockets of my luggage - a perfect place for something that can't be broken, and depending on your suitcases, you may be able to fit enough for a week + (bring extra!).

Best,

Mia

I've flown with a lap baby a few times. Air Canada is definitely still allowing strollers on gate check, and I thought car seats too, but I guess that has changed. (We haven't done that for a few years).

Anyway, are you going from the airport to the hotel, or straight to the port? You could always call a car service in your departure city and arrange for a ride with a car seat. If you don;t know of a car service, the home ports board here might be of some help, or call the hotel you are staying with and ask them for a recommendation.

Travelling with the car seat can be a pain if it is only for to and from the airport that you need it. When I landed in Miami I was almost denied a ride in a cab to my hotel because I had a 3.5 yr old with me. I pushed a little and he was over 40 lbs, so they did allow me though.

Most airlines allow you to gate-check a car seat if you were trying to secure an empty seat onboard. It's more likely to be treated better, if gate checked and not that likely to be bumped since it goes in with the wheelchairs.

I threw mine on a metal luggage cart with an extra bungee cord. This was cheaper than a Gogokidz cart and worked great. I was alone with three flying to Rome for the cruise and I did it again recently here in France. Ask at check-in if this can be managed. If there's an empty seat, car seat or not, they usually like to give them to families since it makes everyone more comfortable.

Air France gate checks strollers but wont give them back at the connection city. Try that with three small children! I was furious and had the supervisor brought. They only allowed it because it was a Sit & Stroll. If Air Canada wont do it, ask civilly for a supervisor and get the story straight. Also, check their site for any stroller "requirements". Please never bring a stroller on the aircraft unless instructed to do so. They're really hard to stow onboard but sometimes in summer we could manage a small one. Never put them in overhead bins. You'd feel awful if it crashed down on some little old ladies' head!

The only restriction I read was that it had to fold or collapse. Reasonable request in my book!

http://www.aircanada.jp/en/young-travellers.htm?cLoc=jp#carseat

I too, had a rental car seat horror story, but the opposite. An infant carrier for a large one year old. I recently rented a car and saw their seats in a side room. Major company that exisits in N. America. Yuk, is all I can tell you!

Another product you might want to look into is the Canadian version of the Cosco Scenera. It's light, cheap and easy to travel with. Makes a good second seat. I used that before I got the Sit & Stroll as a second baby gift from my family. Make sure it's not the version with the overhead shield. This would also be easy to take on and off the ship for any excusions.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Point-Seat/dp/B000GY5OBA

I really haven't had that much trouble with bringing car seats along and I'm usually alone with three children (one, then two...) flying from Europe to California.

Just weigh up your options and decide what works best for you, an informed decision either way. Lap babies aren't protected but air travel itself is safe, especially in N. America. I'm more concerned with the ground transport but I think with two adults, you can swing it.

Have a good time!

Sharon

ex-F/A, 13 years, 2 companies

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

I called Air Canada and the service rep advised me that while your non-seat holding infant only gets one checked bag, you and dh both get two carry-ons -- one of which can be your gate checked car seat (as long as it is under 10 kg/22 lbs) --

She did say that they require you to write your name and address with a sharpie-type marker on the back of the seat, too

HTH!!

Anyway, are you going from the airport to the hotel, or straight to the port? You could always call a car service in your departure city and arrange for a ride with a car seat. If you don;t know of a car service, the home ports board here might be of some help, or call the hotel you are staying with and ask them for a recommendation.

I need to go from the airport to the hotel; we're flying in the day before we set sail. Considering the SNAFU we had getting to Tampa last year, we're married to the concept of flying in the night before.

I have already called the hotel, and they told me the shuttle service they use requires car seats. Unfortunately, I didn't ask which company they use (DUH). I posted a similar question in the West Coast Departures section ... hopefully someone will tell me the definitive answer!

Another product you might want to look into is the Canadian version of the Cosco Scenera. It's light, cheap and easy to travel with.
This is the car seat we have (not my choice ... it was a gift). I am looking for an excuse to replace it, so maybe it getting lost/damaged by the airline would be a good one! ;)

I called Air Canada and the service rep advised me that while your non-seat holding infant only gets one checked bag, you and dh both get two carry-ons -- one of which can be your gate checked car seat (as long as it is under 10 kg/22 lbs) --

Hmm ... now this is the best information I have seen so far! I would even go so far as to unpack my hockey bag and use it to house the car seat while in transit. I think it would be easier to haul around that way. Although, the car seat may begin to smell like my equipment ... again, a good excuse to get a new car seat! LOL

Archived