Monarch 11/16/07 Review

mitchrock

Embarkation was smooth. DW and I arrived at 12:00 and proceeded to the Suite check in and was on the ship 5 minutes later. Got to pick a complimentary bottle of wine to be delivered to our room.

Once on board, we immediately ordered our soda cards and proceeded to the Windjammer. Had a nice seat at Windjammer. Food was not good. Tried the Windjammer 3 other times during the cruise for lunch and breakfast and was disappointed each time.

After lunch we checked out our suite. We had Grand Suite 1032 and it was great! Very Spacious, beautiful long balcony. Found it decorated for my birthday from my dad. Also had an invitation to go to the Suite reception at 5:00 at Viking Crown Lounge.

The reception was nice even thought only 4 of us showed. Had some champagne and appetizers and a great view as we left port.

Had second seat dining and was in shock. Couldn't believe how casual people dressed there. Tank Tops, T-shirts, shorts were rampant. Head Waiter said it's like that on the short cruises. Food was outstanding in the Dining room. Donka our waitress was great and Alexis our Assistant waiter was nice, just not used to having to wait for beverage refills.

Bought some Banana and Coconut Rum that night and then enjoyed the room and balcony.

Saturday, I rose early as we approached Ensenada. Loved hearing and watching the seals greet us as we entered port. Our bartending school excursion was cancelled so we went shopping. Walked to the main drag and bought a few gifts. At 11:00 we had lunch at one of the Sidewalk cafes. Had some large and strong margaritas with the lunch. Was back on board by 1:00. Enjoyed the balcony until 5:00 when we went to play Sports Trivia in Schooners. Had a blast.

We then went back to the suite to ge ready for formal night. Had a cheese plate waiting for us in the suite. (Forgot to add we had a suchi plate waiting for us before dinner on Friday night) Dinner was great. Not as formal as other ships but at least there were no shorts.

After dinner we changed into comfy clothes and proceeded to the Circuit for Karaoke. Had a blast. Performed some Nirvana and has some drinks. We then proceeded to the Viking Crown Lounge to enjoy a drink and the view.

Sunday, I went Early to Lattetudes to the tricia contest. Our team won lanyards. Then had fun perusing the ship.

The BBQ lunch poolside was awesome. Loved the ribs. Also liked the pizza from Sorrentos. My wife had some sushi from Jade and enjoyed that.

Loved the scrapbooking class on the ship. This was the first time either of us have tried this.

Slot tournament was fun although I did not win.

Played the last trivia game at 5:00 and our team won again. Got Passport holders this time.

We enjoyed our last dinner and went to bed for the night. Had a migraine and didn't feel up to going to Quest.

Disembarkation was smooth. We self Disembarked and were in our car by 7:15.

The ship and staff are great. Just feel 3 days isn't enough to really enjoy the cruise. Would give the trip a grade of a B. If the food would have been better in Windjammer and the dining room kept to a dress code and decorum, would have changed it to an A.

Thanks for the review, am thinking of joining a group cruise in April on the ship. I was wondering if people dressed up for "formal" night on a three-day cruise. I don't want an argument about whether it's right or wrong, I just wanted to know the reality!

Had second seat dining and was in shock. Couldn't believe how casual people dressed there. Tank Tops, T-shirts, shorts were rampant. Head Waiter said it's like that on the short cruises. Food was outstanding in the Dining room. Donka our waitress was great and Alexis our Assistant waiter was nice, just not used to having to wait for beverage refills.

Wow, I heard it was casual on the 3-day cruises but I had no idea. DW and I always do the 4-day on the Monarch were the dress codes tend to be a bit more formal. Basically, no shorts, caps, or tank tops. On formal night I did not notive any inappropriate dress in the dinning room, however, a couple of years ago on a Labor Day cruise there was one group that were served wearing hawawain shirts flip flops. (Not on my ship I thought, lol....but that will have to wait until I own my own ship;) )

Sorry to hear about your poor experinces in the Windjammer. We had not issues at the beginning of the month, however, we did notice that there was very little variation in the breakfast menu. On esuggestion is that you try the buffet in Jade for lunch...it usually uncrowded and a nicer dining venue that the Windjammer.

Sorentos on the Monarch seems to have concistant quality. It was much better that the pizza we endured on the Dawn Princess in April.

In general these little cruises can be lot of fun. The 4-day cruise on the Monarch is port intensive with San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada, but that just adds to the fun.

We've always found the service on the Monarch to be some of the best afloat and encourate you to try the 4-day itinerary some time.

S

We just got off this same cruise and also did late seating. Maybe we were in a different dining room, but I didn't see any more shorts and jeans than normal for any other cruise I've ever been on. Formal night wasn't overly formal, but most people at least wore something decent. We only made it to the Windjammer for lunch on the at sea day (Sunday) and the food was actually better than I remember it being. Sorrento's was good, room service was good as well. The dining room, as usual, was very good and the wait staff was better than my previous sailing on this ship. Our tablemates were MUCH more likable than the ones on our last cruise. Overall, this trip in general was better than my last sailing on the Monarch. Too short, of course, but a great time nonetheless.

Now my only problem is some persistent dizziness, more severe than I've ever had before after a cruise. Hopefully this will go away before Turkey Day.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, if you book a cruise through Travelocity and they promise OBC, make sure you actually get it. I will now be waiting 2-3 weeks for a check from them due to a "glitch" in the reservation process where they forgot to submit that information for me.

Thanks for the review, am thinking of joining a group cruise in April on the ship. I was wondering if people dressed up for "formal" night on a three-day cruise. I don't want an argument about whether it's right or wrong, I just wanted to know the reality!

A lot of people did dress up for formal night. There were still plenty of people that wore polo shirts and many wore jeans. Very disappointing.

We just got off this same cruise and also did late seating. Maybe we were in a different dining room, but I didn't see any more shorts and jeans than normal for any other cruise I've ever been on.

There were over a dozen people wearing shorts near my table in Claudes port side of the ship. Even had a couple of people wearing their baseball caps at the table. A couple in tank tops as well. Never have I seen this in a dining room for dinner on my previous 2 cruises.

We've always found the service on the Monarch to be some of the best afloat and encourate you to try the 4-day itinerary some time.

S

Service overall was outstanding. Reminds me of why I love RCI. Definitely a step above cruising with Princess and they have good service as well.

I was on Monarch the weekend before -- 9 November sailing. It was my first cruise and I didn't know what to expect, but nothing struck me as out of line in the dining room. Formal night was fine, and the other nights were reasonable (late seating). There was one teenager in a goofy shirt and hat, which, to me anyway, reflected on clueless parents, but that's hardly a crisis. I thought the dining room was one of the real highlights of the trip -- good food and company. What more do you need?

Windjammer seemed like it was built for speed, not fine dining. It was a nice option to have -- no complaints.

The health club was excellent -- I got some good use out of it. It was fun hanging out on the little semi-hidden stern decks, and on the uppermost forward deck -- no one ever seemed to be up there, but it had a great view. My favorite spot on the ship, though, was the forward bit of the deck 7 promenade. It's dark there at night and you can see the stars and the ocean, and feel the wind in your face.

I had an inside cabin on deck 2 -- it was just fine. I didn't spend much time there, except to sleep and change clothes.

The ship's coffee was as bad as everyone says it is, but I could get a long black at Lattetudes, so I had my morning fix.

One of the first things I did when I got back was to check prices for future sailings. The RCCI website had prices that were about $100 less than what my travel agent charged me (I was with a group, so I didn't really have a choice). It's cheap enough (even for a solo cruiser) to be a viable weekend option anytime I'm in LA on business.

I'm looking forward to the next time!

We just got off this same cruise and also did late seating. Maybe we were in a different dining room, but I didn't see any more shorts and jeans than normal for any other cruise I've ever been on.

There were over a dozen people wearing shorts near my table in Claudes port side of the ship. Even had a couple of people wearing their baseball caps at the table. A couple in tank tops as well. Never have I seen this in a dining room for dinner on my previous 2 cruises.

We were in Vincent's which probably explains why I didn't see this particular group. I recall one guy wearing shorts the first night, no one wearing anything less than a polo shirt on formal night (which is completely understandable on a 3 night cruise), and the third night I was more interested in a large group that was all wearing wigs than I was in noticing other people's clothing.

Windjammer was open for lunch on embarkation day. Nice relaxing atmosphere.

Glad someone mentioned the fitness center. Forgot to mention it in my review. Loved it. Seemed bigger than the one I remember on Vision.

It's quite a bit bigger than the one on Vision, and has more and more updated equipment, too. I'm glad you had a good time in spite of the overly casual attire around you at dinner. Cruise her out of LA while you can - she's leaving us next October, taking the best crew in the fleet with her.:(

Thank you all for your review/comments. Can't wait for our first cruise on her in five days. :)

Been thinking about looking for lobster and a good bean soup in Ensenada. :D I'm sure some nice bartender in Ensenada can hook us up with a recommendation. :cool:

Sorry, got a question about specialty restaurant(s) on Monarch. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations? Should I book one night for dinner? Just trying to make the best of a relaxing cruise. Thank you in advance.

The only thing we tried was JAde and we just ordered when we were ready. No need for reservations there.

Monarch doesn't have a Chops or Portofino, just Jade Sushi, which is priced like a regular restaurant, by the piece or order (you can get other items besides sushi), instead of a flat per person charge like the others. It's quite reasonable and usually has decent sushi (good supermarket quality in Los Angeles), although once or twice the rice has seemed bad (the fish was fine, go figure).

As for formality in the dining room and in dress, a very general rule would be that the shorter the cruise, the less "dressy". And as for the Windjammer being meant for faster service, rather than "fine dining" I would hardly call the food in the dining room "fine" dining! Good, adequate and plenty of choice, but IMO not fine dining.:)

and yes we have always found on the four night sailings that not too many people get dressed up in suits or cocktail dresses! Ladies mostly wear pant suits or casual sundresses and most gentlemen don't even wear a tie just a polo shirt! My Hubby does wear a nice dress shirt with a tie but he is in the minority because most men do not wear ties! In fact most passengers could not believe that they even had Formal Nights on the ship! Most shorter sailings have first time cruisers onboard who do not even think about bringing any type of formal wear! There are alot of younger passengers who never dress up for anything anymore and also there are alot of first time cruisers who never even thought about bringing formal clothes! Carl and I do not mind because we our just so tired and so done with packing his suits and my gowns/dresses that we will no longer be doing that on any sailing any longer! I will continue to wear my fancy pantsuits and he will continue to wear a dress shirt and tie on Formal Nights just like we did on the Explorer a few weeks ago and if people do not like it then they do not have to look at us! We still look great and we still had a fun filled evening! Who cares what people wear!!! It's a cruise and a vacation so wear what you want as long as one looks nice and not wearing shorts! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

And as for the Windjammer being meant for faster service, rather than "fine dining" I would hardly call the food in the dining room "fine" dining! Good, adequate and plenty of choice, but IMO not fine dining.:)

I didn't really mean to imply that Vincent's (or, presumably, Claude's) qualified as fine dining, except perhaps by comparison to Windjammer. That said, with expert service, good company, lively conversation and maybe a glass of wine or two, Vincent's was close enough. Being on the second seating, we didn't feel rushed. To me, it's about the overall experience, not just the food.

Archived