Rhine River

emmylou

I have been checking the weather of the cities we will be going to on our Christmas Markets along to Rhine and it seems they are having rain almost every day.I am wondering how swollen is the Rhine and has there been enough rain that the Riverboats have stopped running.Any information will be greatly appreciated. We leave next week and am getting worried that this may end up to be a long bus ride from Basel to Amsterdam.:(

emmy

My husband and I just got back from the Great Rivers from November 2nd-17th...I will say that Grand Circle did a wonderful job. Weather was awful, we didn't see the sun, rained almost every day, and also we had wet snow. Some of the market boots were open. I will tell anyone that is going to make sure you have the following, leather gloves, rain gear, you must dress in layers, get thermals, anything that will keep you warm, as it is cold. Yes the river was very high and a few times we had to wait it out, but we got through all of the locks. Would I do this trip or another river cruise again? Yes on Sunday I booked one for next year on November 10th...that is how much we liked it...good luck and enjoy...any questions, I will be more then glad to answer...j

obriandan,jerseyshorelover,and steamboats,

Thank you. Steamboats,It is reassuring to know that this is normal for this time of year takes a little of the pressure off. Jerseyshorelover,already have to thermals out.I got stocking from Canada that will keep your feet warm to 30 below and my sister picked up some hand warmers you put in you gloves.We also have jogging outfits and a couple pair of cords.Will probably be calling on you before this week-end with last minute questions.

emmy

Happy Thanksgiving also to you and family. With the water level, no one knows what the river will be like until you get close to the bridges that we must go under. One time towards the end of the cruise we had to wait it out. We did get under with inches to spare. Then it was announced that our ship made it and then the river went up again....if this happens and you are stuck they have other plans to get you to the places that are schedule. It is really neat to see how close you come to going under, how close we are side to side in the locks as the ship is made just to fit into the locks with about 1 foot on each side. Another thing that we did was bring EURO'S from here over. We didn't need as much as we purchased. On the ship you give them a credit card and they then put everything on that credit card at the end of the trip. Also we took US money for the crew tips, this was not needed as you could put that also on your credit card. The only thing you couldn't do was the Program Director. We really like this type of cruising for Europe....j

Hello,we were on the above river cruise. Our ship was the Concerto, it had 140 passengers. This river ship had three floors. We are now booked on the Ravel for next year and this has 120 passengers. At time we were in port close to the towns and could walk, other times if you did some of the optional tours, they would stop and it was called Techincal Stop, and the people would get off and then we would be bus to where-ever, then came back to where they were going for that day. We did all of the other tours, this way you saw lots more and also we enjoyed seeing the countryside....j

J,

We are on the Ravel this cruise.Total 113 passenger aboard for this trip is what our passenger list says. 9 from N.J., 6 from PA , 11 N.Y. ,6 MD.Thats the closet states to New Jersey.All the rest are from The rest are scattered across the US largest amount coming from Texas (15). If anyone is interested.

emmy

Well everybody we will be heading to the airport this time tomorrow night.

I will catch up with you when we get back.

I want to thank all for thier valuable information you have shared with me over the past several months it was greatly appreciated.

emmy

Archived