Camera Questions

Ronrocks!

I just saw a mini review for the new 18-55 IS from Canon. They seem to like it much better than the kit lens.

Review: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1114/cat/11

Price Comparison (using B&H pricing, Nov 22/07)

XTi Kit (includes the 18-55 non-IS): $660

XTi (body only / no lens): $580

Canon 18-55 IS: $180

So, it would cost an extra $100. I would say definitely worth it.

Could you post a link? I've seen external HDs for that price, but not with the ability to read memory cards. They are usually just for external storage via USB and cameras can't see them as such.

Dave

I was slightly off on the price. This is a link at B&H. They may be available elsewhere cheaper.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=&pn=1&st=categoryNavigation&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=3369&shs=&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=3369&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

DON

So I have a new question for you experts. What if I were to get a film SLR? What is the difference? I mean other than one uses film and the other a card? Are they harder to use? I can get a Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm for $219. or a Canon EOS Rebel T2 35mm SLR for $320.00. If buying film is the only difference it seems like a deal to me. Your thoughts?

So I have a new question for you experts. What if I were to get a film SLR? What is the difference? I mean other than one uses film and the other a card? Are they harder to use? I can get a Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm for $219. or a Canon EOS Rebel T2 35mm SLR for $320.00. If buying film is the only difference it seems like a deal to me. Your thoughts?

A couple of points off the top of my head:

- Film and developing adds up quickly. With a digital SLR, you can take as many pictures as you want, and print only the good ones (or none at all if you share them electronically).

- you have to rewind and load film every 24 or 36 shots

- Film speed / ISO. If you've bought film, you've seen ISO100, ISO200, ISO400 probably. The thing is, you have to shoot the whole roll before you can change it. With a DSLR, you can change it per-picture if needed. Also, most DSLRs go up to ISO1600 (or more).

- Instant feedback. When learning the ins and outs of photography, nothing is better than the instant visual feedback you get with a digital camera. With film, you shoot a roll of film, put it in your bag, finish your vacation, go get it developed, look at the pictures, and try and remember how you made the good ones good, and the bad ones bad.

The first digital SLR I used was a friend's, back in the summer of 2001. It was a Canon D30, and I think it cost in the neighbourhood of $5000. A 1GB CompactFlash card was $899 at the time. (cdn$) I probably took 500+ pictures that day, mostly of "nothing". I tried all sorts of things that I would never "waste" film on. It was hugely educational.

Less than 7 years later, you can buy a camera that will perform better, and take better pictures, for 10% of the cost. Sounds like a bargain ;)

A couple of points off the top of my head:

- Film and developing adds up quickly. With a digital SLR, you can take as many pictures as you want, and print only the good ones (or none at all if you share them electronically).

- you have to rewind and load film every 24 or 36 shots

- Film speed / ISO. If you've bought film, you've seen ISO100, ISO200, ISO400 probably. The thing is, you have to shoot the whole roll before you can change it. With a DSLR, you can change it per-picture if needed. Also, most DSLRs go up to ISO1600 (or more).

- Instant feedback. When learning the ins and outs of photography, nothing is better than the instant visual feedback you get with a digital camera. With film, you shoot a roll of film, put it in your bag, finish your vacation, go get it developed, look at the pictures, and try and remember how you made the good ones good, and the bad ones bad.

The first digital SLR I used was a friend's, back in the summer of 2001. It was a Canon D30, and I think it cost in the neighbourhood of $5000. A 1GB CompactFlash card was $899 at the time. (cdn$) I probably took 500+ pictures that day, mostly of "nothing". I tried all sorts of things that I would never "waste" film on. It was hugely educational.

Less than 7 years later, you can buy a camera that will perform better, and take better pictures, for 10% of the cost. Sounds like a bargain ;)

Couldn't agree more!

20 rolls of film (720 exposures) developed and printed could run you $250 and you're stuck with the blurries and the "what the heck" shots. Shooting soccer? # frames /sec. sound good until you translate that to $1/sec.!

That eats up the bargain film camera's savings in a big hurry! Add that to the points DMZ made and the digital body works out to free after a couple of nice vacations or a season of soccer!

Your call, but I can't recommend film cameras these days unless you have a specific need for images from film.

Dave

Couldn't agree more!

20 rolls of film (720 exposures) developed and printed could run you $250 and you're stuck with the blurries and the "what the heck" shots. Shooting soccer? # frames /sec. sound good until you translate that to $1/sec.!

That eats up the bargain film camera's savings in a big hurry! Add that to the points DMZ made and the digital body works out to free after a couple of nice vacations or a season of soccer!

Your call, but I can't recommend film cameras these days unless you have a specific need for images from film.

Dave

Hey Dave,

After thinking about it and reading up on them I think I am going to purchase the Sony. For the price and little differences I think I will be fine. What is the least expensive lens I can purchase for action shots. I found 1 for 199. and another for 229.00 but I don't know if either of these will do for soccer shots. Not to mention I think the 199.00 comes with the camera already at Best Buy. Thanks!

I just saw a mini review for the new 18-55 IS from Canon. They seem to like it much better than the kit lens.

Review: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1114/cat/11

Price Comparison (using B&H pricing, Nov 22/07)

XTi Kit (includes the 18-55 non-IS): $660

XTi (body only / no lens): $580

Canon 18-55 IS: $180

So, it would cost an extra $100. I would say definitely worth it.

Another review of this lens here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1855_3556is/index.htm

"There were a few moments when I considered not to publish the results due to "political correctness" because to date it was a quite absurd thought that such a cheap, or better "affordable", lens can perform this good and I'm sure that some will not believe the findings even though they're supported by the published field images."

On the Canon side of things, looks like this is turning into the best-bang-for-your-buck lens out there.

Hey Dave,

After thinking about it and reading up on them I think I am going to purchase the Sony. For the price and little differences I think I will be fine. What is the least expensive lens I can purchase for action shots. I found 1 for 199. and another for 229.00 but I don't know if either of these will do for soccer shots. Not to mention I think the 199.00 comes with the camera already at Best Buy. Thanks!

The Sony 75-300 is pretty good lens. Popular Photography tested it and said:

CONCLUSIONS: We were somewhat surprised when we heard

Sony had revived an 11-year-old KM lens as a long-tele kit zoom

for the Alpha DSLR, but when we saw its encouraging test results

and its attractive new packaging, we have to admit this sharp,

relatively compact, and almost distortion-free lens seems quite

up to date…at least until Sony introduces the Carl Zeiss telephoto

zoom that's been rumored.

The $199-if-you-buy-it-with-the-camera deal for the Sony 75-300 f/4.5-f/5.6 is pretty good. I think it's around $230 normally. It will perform well and will do the job until you're ready to upgrade. I used my 70-210 f/3.5-f/4.5 Minolta zoom for fifteen years until I could afford the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8. I've never regretted the money I spent on the first telephoto and it delivered a lot of shots I never would have gotten without it.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the camera-quest comes out.

Happy shooting!

Dave

LOL, for one thing those of us with good film SLR's are stuck with them and can't give them away compared to what they cost. I have a good quality N90S Nikon and I can't get anything for it, at least not worth selling it for. So, I will hang on to it for years to come and maybe someday it will have some value and of course I can still use it. The good news is the lens I have will work with my DSLR or I can sell them.

Hey Dave,

I can't give advice on specific Sony lenses (because I have no experience with them). Regardless of what you get, look into buying at http://www.bhphotovideo.com . They've been around a long time, and have excellent pricing and service. And if you live outside of NY, I believe you won't pay sales tax. They also carry just about everything (whereas Best Buy, only has the basics).

Sony DSLR-A100 w/ 18-70 kit lens ($699): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438940-REG/Sony_DSLRA100K_Alpha_DSLR_A100_Digital_Camera.html

Sony DSLR-A100 body only ($599): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438938-REG/Sony_DSLRA100_Alpha_DSLR_A100_Digital_Camera.html

Sony 75-300 lens ($219): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/439156-REG/Sony_SAL75300_AF_D_75_300mm_f_4_5_5_6.html

Still, that's pretty good. Those have really come down in the last year! Good alternative!

Dave

I can't give advice on specific Sony lenses (because I have no experience with them). Regardless of what you get, look into buying at www.bhphotovideo.com . They've been around a long time, and have excellent pricing and service. And if you live outside of NY, I believe you won't pay sales tax. They also carry just about everything (whereas Best Buy, only has the basics).

Sony DSLR-A100 w/ 18-70 kit lens ($699): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438940-REG/Sony_DSLRA100K_Alpha_DSLR_A100_Digital_Camera.html

Sony DSLR-A100 body only ($599): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438938-REG/Sony_DSLRA100_Alpha_DSLR_A100_Digital_Camera.html

Sony 75-300 lens ($219): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/439156-REG/Sony_SAL75300_AF_D_75_300mm_f_4_5_5_6.html

Again, I can't argue with someone recommending B&H. I either buy from B&H, direct from Amazon if they have it (no tax - free shipping) or Adorama via Amazon. Amazon happens to have a better price right now (<$800 for both plus a free Lowepro camera strap), but that's unusual.

A100 w/18-70 - $593 (it's on sale if you buy the 75-300 with it, the body only is $610!)

70-300 zoom - $202

Don't forget the extra battery! (Get the NP-FM500H InfoLithium even though it says it's for the A700. It will work in the A100, but the NP-FM55H won't work in the A700 or future cameras. Chances are the battery that comes with the A100 will be the newer one as well since it's now listed as the official replacement on Sony's site.)

Dave

Hey everyone!!!

Well I got it. I got the Sony A100. I went to Best Buy and held it and the Canon XTi. Something didn't feel right with the Canon. I can't explain it. It didn't fit my hand right if that makes sense. I almost got the Canon XT because they had a kit that came with an extra lens but it was only 8MP. The Sony felt much better. After a 10% discount it came out to 580.00 plus I purchased at 2GB card and case. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it! So Dave when can you come over and give me classes?? ;) I figure I'll purchase another lens for sports when I get back from the cruise. Thanks to everyone for thier advice and input!! I am sure I will have plenty of questions!

Hey everyone!!!

Well I got it. I got the Sony A100. I went to Best Buy and held it and the Canon XTi. Something didn't feel right with the Canon. I can't explain it. It didn't fit my hand right if that makes sense. I almost got the Canon XT because they had a kit that came with an extra lens but it was only 8MP. The Sony felt much better. After a 10% discount it came out to 580.00 plus I purchased at 2GB card and case. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it! So Dave when can you come over and give me classes?? ;) I figure I'll purchase another lens for sports when I get back from the cruise. Thanks to everyone for thier advice and input!! I am sure I will have plenty of questions!

$580 is great! Congrats!

I know what you mean by "feel"! When I first held my Sony A700, I found the shape of the body, the position of the buttons and the control menus were at least equal to my 7D (which was highly regarded for it's ergonomics). It "felt" good! Hard to define "feel", but it's important.

If you haven't already done so, read my article on lenses here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/AddingLenses.htm

I wrote it to help explain the whats and whys of the wide variety of accessory lenses available, but the sections on exposure and depth of field will be very informative if you aren't already familiar with the concepts.

Between now and cruise time, use it as much as you can. If you run into issues, post them and see what help people have to offer.

Come over for lessons....? You buyin' the beer? :D

Dave

Hey everyone!!!

Well I got it. I got the Sony A100. I went to Best Buy and held it and the Canon XTi. Something didn't feel right with the Canon. I can't explain it. It didn't fit my hand right if that makes sense. I almost got the Canon XT because they had a kit that came with an extra lens but it was only 8MP. The Sony felt much better.

Congrats! I understand about the "feel". My GF has an XTi and loves it. She thinks my 30D is "too bulky". I find the XTi a bit small unless you attach the battery grip (add-on).

So, now you just need to start taking pictures. Just a suggestion: try experimenting with Aperture Priority mode (A). That lets you set the size of the aperture (the hole the light comes through) and the camera will figure out the corresponding shutter speed. Take the same shot with different Apertures, and see what the effect is. That's the advantage of digital -- you can learn by trial and error.

OMG!! So many settings, so many buttons, I am so confused!! I've read the book that came with it and it was all way over my head! It took me 20 minutes to put the camera strap on!! lol I want to take pictures of sunsets and sunrise and maybe the moon at night. My family on the beach and on the boat!! I am afraid to press the buttons because I don't want to set it wrong! OK I am going to watch this CD that came with it. :D :eek: :eek:

Congrats on the camera. You got a good one! Now time to play! DMZ is right try the "A"pature mode and see how it responds and how the pictures looks. The best thing about digital is going snap happy! Take pictures, change the settings and see what happens. If you want sunsets, shot them at home and see what you get, if you don't like the colors, don't worry right now about composure, change some settings. Once you get what you want work on the composure. You should be able to get 10 to 20 shoots at each sunset. The more you find out before the cruise the better the pictures will be. But then Dave says it best, The picture taken is better than the one not taken. Or some thing like that

Enjoy

...I am afraid to press the buttons because I don't want to set it wrong!

For your convenience, I have circled in red the most important button. Press it often and learn from the results!

original.jpg

On a serious note, feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. If you would rather, follow the link in my signature to PPTPhoto.com and contact me directly through email (Comments button).

From what I've seen, there's probably 500 years of experience lurking this board, just waiting to help!

...OK I am going to watch this CD that came with it.

You got a CD? :mad:

All I got wit my A700 was a ½" thick booklet with marginal illustrations and software! Sort of a pat on the back and a cheerful "Good Luck!"

Enjoy the toy! ...uh, I mean have a meaningful user experience with your recently purchased photographic tool. ;)

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!!

Just wanted to say thank you to all those who gave me advice and helped me decided on my new camera. I love the Sony. I took it on the Mariner cruise and got some beautiful pictures. I am still learning though. I haven't gotten it off auto because I am a little scared of changing a setting and not knowing how to change it back. That being said I still got some nice pictures. I took it too Lexi's first soccer game. While it was quick enough I couldn't zoom in enough. So I suppose my next question is about lense. What is a good lense to use for sports. I go to soccer, baseball, NASCAR, and football on a regular bases. While at most events I have pretty good seats at some I may be a little far. Is it better to get a lense that may be too strong for up close shots? Is their such thing as a too strong lense? I purchased my Sony through Best Buy for almost $600.00. I was wondering where the best place to purchase a lense may be? Thanks again. Oh I also got soo many positive remarks on the camera. Everyone was stopping me and telling me what a great camera the Sony is!

Hello everyone!!

Just wanted to say thank you to all those who gave me advice and helped me decided on my new camera. I love the Sony. I took it on the Mariner cruise and got some beautiful pictures. I am still learning though. I haven't gotten it off auto because I am a little scared of changing a setting and not knowing how to change it back. That being said I still got some nice pictures. I took it too Lexi's first soccer game. While it was quick enough I couldn't zoom in enough. So I suppose my next question is about lense. What is a good lense to use for sports. I go to soccer, baseball, NASCAR, and football on a regular bases. While at most events I have pretty good seats at some I may be a little far. Is it better to get a lense that may be too strong for up close shots? Is their such thing as a too strong lense? I purchased my Sony through Best Buy for almost $600.00. I was wondering where the best place to purchase a lense may be? Thanks again. Oh I also got soo many positive remarks on the camera. Everyone was stopping me and telling me what a great camera the Sony is!

To get a start at sports shooting, etc. Get the Sony 70-300 kit zoom. You can find it for around $200, sometimes on sale at best buy. If not, here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-75-300mm-4-5-5-6-Compact-Telephoto/dp/B000DZH9H4/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203309613&sr=8-1

It is not the best lens for sports, but it is a good serviceable lens and unless you're ready to plunk down $1,000, it's a great place to start. It will give you good range and give you excellent pictures for the investment. If you really get into the sports shooting, you can always Ebay it and upgrade.

I'm glad the Alpha worked out for you! Did you post the pictures somewhere to share?

Happy shooting!

Dave

Archived