Passenger Missing Off Fantasy This Past Sailing

Rowan555

Unfortunately, cameras pointed at the sides of the vessels could pose invasion of privacy issues. With the large (and ever increasing in size) vessels, the angle of the camera would have to be tight on the balconies to actually "see" someone - especially at night. That means the camera would "see" people on their balconies, at their windows, etc.

Also, I cannot imagine the job of monitoring gosh knows how many cameras that they would need to completely cover all outside areas of the vessel 24/7. If there was just one little bit of space not covered by a camera, the liability would be huge to the cruiseline.

This story of the gentleman is so very sad. My thoughts go out the the man's family and well as any CC members who met him.

I think cameras would be extremely helpful in trying to figure out what happened in different situations, like theft, rape, murder, suicide, accidents, etc. Not for monitoring activity, round the clock. Also, privacy is not guaranteed on balconies and a fixed outside camera could not see into a stateroom.

I think the cameras would be an asset not a liability.

I think cameras would be extremely helpful in trying to figure out what happened in different situations, like theft, rape, murder, suicide, accidents, etc. Not for monitoring activity, round the clock. Also, privacy is not guaranteed on balconies and a fixed outside camera could not see into a stateroom.

I think the cameras would be an asset not a liability.

Unfortunately, if cameras are installed and not monitored 24/7, it becomes a liability issue for the company (whatever the company). It's been brought up before in different circumstances where cameras were in areas and then people wondered why they weren't monitored. This is not only cruise ships; however, buildings on land as well (I work as a consultant and see this come up time and time again).

Cameras being installed for helping to protect and then the building owner being sued if the camera isn't monitored 24/7 and something does happen.

It's a no-win situation for anyone really.

The only reason this poor gentleman's situation is more publicized is because it was on a cruise ship. Had this same situation occured at an apartment building, no one would question cameras.

Again, I feel awful for this man and those who met him (long term friends and new friends). Depression is terrible to cope with; and can be overpowering when you feel you don't have anyone to turn to. No amount of cameras can ever change that. All I can say is that for those people who asked him to join them for dinner, that we all need to be more like them to people we meet.

Monitored cameras? UGH! We have no privacy NOW!

Unmonitored camera, run it back and see he went over the side. Well, they assume that is what DID happen. Would a tape of the event help? Yes, they'd know when probably. But if the tape was not rewound for 6-8 hours, would it change anything? Except increase the cruiselines liability as the previous poster said.

It happened, its happened in the past, it will happen in the future. Death is part of life.

Dan

Monitored cameras? UGH! We have no privacy NOW!

Unmonitored camera, run it back and see he went over the side. Well, they assume that is what DID happen. Would a tape of the event help? Yes, they'd know when probably. But if the tape was not rewound for 6-8 hours, would it change anything? Except increase the cruiselines liability as the previous poster said.

It happened, its happened in the past, it will happen in the future. Death is part of life.

Dan

I pray that any family member he haswill be able to get passed this time of sorrow. I lost my Sister to suicide a few yrs ago she was 55 with 4 grown daughters and grand children. She shot herself. Unfortunatley with a gun there is no do overs. She was a charge nurse for a nursing home. She lived in Tx and I am in TN so we didn't see each other that often but we were planning a trip. The hardest thing I ever had to do in my whole life was tell my mother that her daughter kiled herself....My neices said she had gotten addicted to pain killers after extenede surgery and was going through a depression. it killed those children and tore us apart but I have seen so many timeshow peoples minds get to the point of no return. I love her and I know she isn't suffering from pain of mind and heart. But I can never understand having a gun in the house if someone has those kinds of problems. I was told she had threatened once before I couldn't believe they didn't take the Gun and my Brothern-law said she would have gotten another one. I was livid. i said then WHY didn't you just take the bullets out. At least when it clicked she would have had to think about it before doing it again. I kknow didn't need to go through that on this board but my point is. It not only causes sadness it has caused me to place blame at least for the moment. people are determined. I almost lost my best friend 2 months ago. Because her husband was abusing her verbally etc etc. She said she had no intention of doing it. She said she had a bad cold and a headache had taken something then she was sad over marital problems and she took a xanex and then just said the heck with it. Fortunately the police got to her before she died but it was touch and go. So some say they are selfish but when someone is in depression selfish is the last thing they think of. What they think of is they will be better off without me, I'm no good to anyone etc.

So please if you EVER NOTICE ANYONE who seems a little down call them go visit anything to change their mind at least for the moment. Then maybe through the grace of God they will get help. So that being said My prayers and thoughts are with those who loved and cared for him and that God gives them the strength it takes to get on with life and maybe use them in a way to help others. I know now I go vist in the nursing home. It's sad to think how many people have No One

Is it Possible he could have had a heart attack and fell?

Good Night All

Is it Possible he could have had a heart attack and fell?

Good Night All

Not likely unless he was sitting on the railing or standing on a chair when it happened.

And they did say he left a note.

I am sorry for your loss, I can tell you are still hurting over it.

sandestination, my heart aches for you, your mom, your sister's children and her husband. What a true sadness. Remember the good times you shared. When all is said and done our lives are reduced to how others remember us.

Archived