Passenger Missing Off Fantasy This Past Sailing

Rowan555

My parents just returned from the Fantasy today - they just saw on the news that a passenger went missing, and her balcony stateroom was locked form the inside. No news on whether anyone was traveling with her.

Quite an eventful cruise this week!

Hmmm...sounds like another case of a suicide jumper. It seems like the ones that disappear are always older people...like they just don't have the will to live anymore and figure that if they jump into the middle of the ocean, their family won't be burdened with funeral expenses. How sad.

How very sad. He was probably some body's father, grandfather, brother,

and I am sure he will be missed by his family.

I lost my father to pneumonia in January of this year, and this close to Christmas it must be especially distressing to those he left behind.

I really doubt that it could be suicide because, how would have the door been locked from the inside? Homicide maybe? How could he have locked the door and then gotten outside?

I don't think they meant that the balcony doors were locked.. I think they meant his room door.

Or if the balcony was locked.. maybe he didn't jump from his room..

There have to be a lot of MUCH EASIER ways to do one's self in, than jumping from a cruise ship. I just don't know why someone would do that! Maybe they just weren't "all there"? Sympathies to the man's family.

Yeah, I would think one could find all sorts of pills at the pharmacies in Mexico that would cause you to go to sleep and not wake up. Or perhaps he took lots of pills, then jumped. I just can't fathom drowning, especially intentionally. Since having asthma attacks as a child and knowing that feeling of not being able to breathe, I can hardly even watch video of people scuba diving. It REALLY upsets me to ponder anyone drowning. I really feel for his family - they may never know what he was going through and why he made this decision.

Yeah, I would think one could find all sorts of pills at the pharmacies in Mexico that would cause you to go to sleep and not wake up. Or perhaps he took lots of pills, then jumped. I just can't fathom drowning, especially intentionally. Since having asthma attacks as a child and knowing that feeling of not being able to breathe, I can hardly even watch video of people scuba diving. It REALLY upsets me to ponder anyone drowning. I really feel for his family - they may never know what he was going through and why he made this decision.

I know what you mean. I went through an entire 3 hour orientation and when they went to fit me for the scuba equipment (mask, etc etc etc) I fainted!!

I could not handle having that stuff on my face and being limited to that being my only source of air. :eek:

There have to be a lot of MUCH EASIER ways to do one's self in, than jumping from a cruise ship. I just don't know why someone would do that!

My guess is (assuming that he did jump and it was intentional) that he didn't want to burden his family with thousands of dollars in funeral bills...no body, no funeral.

And ya know, if I was going to commit suicide, I'd want my last days to be on a cruise...although I'd find a quicker way than drowning.

I really doubt that it could be suicide because, how would have the door been locked from the inside?

I know this isn't the place for this but I tell alot of people, you need to be holding on to something tight before you flush that toilet. It can suck you through the pipes. :confused:

Fred

I hate hearing that.........was on that same cruise, and I must say I felt like jumping off myself. It was totally the worst cruise I have ever taken and I have been on 11 cruises on different lines. I can comfortably say I will NEVER EVER take another Carnival Cruise, especially out of New Orleans. It was found out only after we were aboard that it was a theme cruise (BLUES CRUISE, KATRINA VICTIMS AND CHURCH GROUPS........I'm wondering why noones TA knew about this when we were booking the cruise. Also I have never been on a ship with such blah staff members. The only smile and friendly reparte I got was in the dining room. It was one disappointment after the next. My husband's dive was cancelled.......not enough people diving in Cozumel???? never heard of that before........everwhere you went was crowded and noisy....never could relax and when we got home......I found our liquor order was not our order!!!! I know you are saying I should have checked the box......well I just assume people who do this everyday do their jobs correctly........never assume huh? I know I have gotten off subject but I will be posting a review soon. I'm ready for agreements or blasting, whichever I get.

Angie

I was reading on AOL just 2 days ago about pre-paid funerals, where some people were getting ripped off. One person posted that if they were diagnosed with a terminal illness they would book a cruise ship voyage and jump off during the week, instead of burdening anyone with it.

What a warped mind, but evidentally it has happened before and will probably happen again unfortunately. :(

My condolences to the family and friends of this unfortunate soul.

I am a little lost on the compassion from cusyl. How can you say what a warp mind. You have no idea what this gentleman was feeling. In his time of emotion he might have felt this was the only way out of a situation.

I have several elderly adults as nieghbors. I make sure that I stop by at lease twice a week to make sure everything is fine. One of them has no one. No friends or family.

Whatever the situation is we have no right to judge. Except feel sad that he had noone there for him at his time of need. As you get older your friends dwindle off. Medicare does not pay for all of your bills. There are lots of reason these things happen. If that man jumped it had to be one of the hardest last moments of his life to make that decision. So no matter what the reason lets give him a little compassion..

Exactly.

Having experienced two suicides in my life, both in the same week, no less, it is hard to even TRY to get your head around the illness that must be going through these individual minds.

Stop trying to justify it here, and at least try to offer condolenses to those affected, not that they're even here.

Exactly.

Having experienced two suicides in my life, both in the same week, no less, it is hard to even TRY to get your head around the illness that must be going through these individual minds.

Stop trying to justify it here, and at least try to offer condolenses to those affected, not that they're even here.

Funny, I was actually more offended by the post before that one.

Archived