Hurricane Ivan news and updates here

Host Mike

Kathie44....We are about 20 miles North of your step-mother. We live on one of the canals off the Crystal River. We have decided that if Ivan comes our way we are headed to Georgia. This will be the 4th Hurricane that we have had to deal with in 4 weeks. Bonnie and Charley just brushed by but Frances caused a lot of damage here in Citrus county. We had a 40 foot oak tree fall. It missed our house by 5 inches. We had 48 hours of non stop wind and rain as Frances moved across the state and then again as it moved out over the Gulf and up the state. The water came all the way up to the top of the seawall behind the house. We were without power for 5 days. The schools are still closed. We are called the 'Nature Coast' because of all the beautiful tree canopy. Frances has changed all that. I'm afraid with as wet as the ground is we will have extensive damage with the rest of the trees that were weakened by Frances. We will also have extensive flood damage with the predicted path of Ivan. The anxiety level of everyone is unbelievable. I still have my car packed with all my belongings. It's hard to sand bag your home and close the door not knowing what you may come back to. If everyone can stand and face south and blow maybe we can keep Ivan away from Florida. Ha!...... Please, please keep us in your prayers. We're going to need them in the next couple of days.

Thank you all for your prayers. The outer bands of IVAN have started hitting us in MoBay. Many people have had to evacuate to higher elevations. We are on a hill about 1/2 mile from the sea-- we are okay. Not only will the rain and wind affect us, but flooding is going to be HUGE problem. Thanks again for your prayers!

NEWS ABOUT PORT CANAVERAL from the PC website: (Emphasis mine)

HURRICANE FRANCES AFFECTS PORT CANAVERAL OPERATIONS

Businesses, including restaurants and other companies, continue to return to full operation at Port Canaveral. In accordance with U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Information Bulletin 35-04, The U.S. Coast Guard has re-opened Port Canaveral bar to shallow draft marine traffic. Deep draft vessels are prohibited from attempting entry into Port Canaveral and the Port remains closed to these deep draft vessels.

So, This must mean that if your ship is a shallow draft vessel, it may be able to get into the channel and basin at Port Canaveral!!!

I think the Voyager Class ships (Mariner of the Seas is one) do NOT fit the definition of shallow draft.

Not enough of an expert drafts on all the various ships for all the various lines to have a clue which other ships may now be able to enter the port. Can anyone else shed some light on this?? (BTW - read somewhere that they are now saying there is a depth of 30')

This main page was posted earlier, but farther down is a section on Jamaica. Sounds like they are in for just a terrible time there. Just as with many things, you think you have it bad, and indeed sometimes you do, but there is always someone else who has it worse.

http://stormcarib.com/reports/2004/jamaica.shtml

Theron

Cruiseduck, I'm just south of you in Pasco county. Fared unbelievable well in the last two. My son was flooded and without power in Charlie. I'm wiggin out over this one. Unfortunately I don't have the option of getting out of here. I am scheduled to work and work in the hospital so I will be there. Would feel better if we hadn't had roof damage in the last one! Unless theres a big change we are pretty well screwed. The graphs go from a direct hit by the eye to it slightly to the west of us. Which is just as bad being ont he east side. Stronger wind and the water surge. I am so counting the days until we sail on 9/20. The stress of waiting for this and listening to all the destruction it has all ready caused is nerve racking to say the least. Good luck to all of you and I include you in my prayers!! Heaven help us!

burnsie

Hi Burnsie,

Just south of you in Charlotte Co. My nerves are starting to wear thin. They have started mandatory evacuation for one part of the county today and tomorrow for the part that I am just one block away from.

My husband is a lt on the fire department so like you can't leave. I was at the fire station for charly where the roof blew off - that was a new station built for a cat. 4. Wonder who got paid off with our tax dollars on that one. Like you I am worried since we had roof damage and lost one part of our house to charly. Not sure if it is going to hold up.

Hang in there and all we can do is pary.

Judy

Catlady, So sorry to hear of your trouble with the last one. It looks like its drifted a little west of the coast this morning. But even skirting the coast we are in for trouble they said. Today we are boarding up, didn't do that for the other two and figuring out where everyones going to go. May send the Daughter, Husband, dog and cat to Orlando to my sons house. They could come to the hospital with me but then you have the dog and cat problem. Hopefully we can get my Mom to leave. She wants to stay with her house! Give me a break! We will just watch and see.
Burnsie

burnsie.... As you, we are waiting and watching. We have not decided if we are going to Georgia. From the current track it looks like Ivan may hit the panhandle and go right over Camilla, Georgia where we had planned to go. We are on the water in Crystal River and they said even with the cuurent track we would get flooding. If we do go to Georgia it would be a nightmare trying to get back to Florida. My daughter has a house in Tampa, away from the water, so we may go there. It's so frustrating not knowing where to go!

We've got our supplies, but we haven't boarded up yet. We're waiting to see what tonight and tomorrow a.m. brings. I really don't think Pinellas/Pasco/Hillsborough can take much more. I'm in Seminole Heights and there were areas of our neighborhood that still didn't have power as of Friday morning. Thank g_d, we were only without for 30 hours.

As we just moved down from Jersey bought this house, we don't have a lot of things at the ready - coolers, ice packs, etc - that we would have had if we'd been here a bit longer. I need my EOS cruise next weekend. Badly.

Cruise duck, Tampa sounds like a good bet. I feel guilty being glad its off the west coast a little more, looks like we may get lucky and "only" have to worry about the storm surge. That will be enough!

Catlady you may get more than the rest of us being farther south. Like you guys have not had enough! So many are still without power from the last storm.

Angelsil,Florida is usually not so bad, I know people who are leaving because of the third storm in a month. But, like they have said we haven't had this in 40 yrs.

I'm still a nervous wreck over this but feeling a little better. I to am really needing our sail next Monday. Only worry now is that we don't loose power before we leave. We are leaving our daughter 15 home with a friend who is 18. She is so busy with volleyball and school she wan't be home much but I can't leave them with now power! Well, I could but I would feel guilty?! lol

burnsie

We live in Bradenton and we're heading to Orlando tomorrow for four days. We stayed during Frances and those winds scared me. Don't want to go thru anything stronger. I guess we all find this hard to believe. I've lived in Florida 25 years and never went thru anything like this past month. At least, we haven't had any damage. That's something to be very thankful about.

Ivan has gone back to a Category 5. [b]Max sustained winds 165mph[/b]. [b]Central Pressure down to 914mb.[/b] (If memory serves, the lowest ever recorded was 908 - think it was Mitch. Andrew never got this low.)

Tracking Tango: Projected path has moved a bit more WEST, taking Ivan through the Gulf of Mexico well offshore of the FL peninsula, with possible landfall Tuesday-Wednesday around Apalachicola in the panhandle.

Archived