14 Day Alaska

pipedreams62

Hi- I'm going on the Veendam in June for 14 days. I was wondering how this trip plays out. Do alot of people get off the ship in Seward and go on their way? Then new people get on in Seward and head back to Vancouver,or do alot of people just stay on for the whole 14 days? I realize the ship stops in the same ports a couple of times. Is this basically a back to back that's sold as a 14 day cruise?

Not that it matters. We're from Florida and to fly all the way west for just 7 days just does not seem worth it. I had always hoped Holland America would do 14 day cruises in Alaska and voila it's here.

In Seward a lot of people are getting off to start the land portion of their HAL cruise-tour package, and a lot of people are getting on after doing the land portion of a HAL cruise-tour ... which is what we did. Then there are also quite a few that are doing just a 7-day cruise, and others that that have spent vacation time on their own (non-HAL) in Anchorage or Denali. Bottom line: there will be some like yourself doing round-trips, but the majority will not be. IMO!

There were a lot of B2B passengers last summer on the fourteen day, but yes it is just two cruises back to back. You will have a repeat of the first week's menus and most of the entertainment will also be a repeat. The upside is you get to watch a lot of people get off and you get to stay! And you can do a different activity in the repeated ports.

Hi- I'm going on the Veendam in June for 14 days. I was wondering how this trip plays out. Do alot of people get off the ship in Seward and go on their way? Then new people get on in Seward and head back to Vancouver,or do alot of people just stay on for the whole 14 days? I realize the ship stops in the same ports a couple of times. Is this basically a back to back that's sold as a 14 day cruise?

Not that it matters. We're from Florida and to fly all the way west for just 7 days just does not seem worth it. I had always hoped Holland America would do 14 day cruises in Alaska and voila it's here.

We'll be on that same 14 day cruise. I've started a roll call for each week on the roll call boards.

I realize you've probably already booked, and it might be a hassle to change your plans. Still, if you're concerned about repeating ports and menus, yet don't want to stay in Alaska only 7 days, you could consider spending the second week in Seward and Anchorage rather than going back on the ship. If you don't want to do a land-based tour through HAL, it is perfectly possible to rent a car or RV, book hotels on your own, etc. Alaska by ship is fabulous, but once you've done that, why not see some of the stunning interior as well? Just some food for thought ...:)

I realize you've probably already booked, and it might be a hassle to change your plans. Still, if you're concerned about repeating ports and menus, yet don't want to stay in Alaska only 7 days, you could consider spending the second week in Seward and Anchorage rather than going back on the ship. If you don't want to do a land-based tour through HAL, it is perfectly possible to rent a car or RV, book hotels on your own, etc. Alaska by ship is fabulous, but once you've done that, why not see some of the stunning interior as well? Just some food for thought ...:)

Hi- yes I've thought about doing that,but just don't have the ambition to rent cars,look for hotels,and god forbid camp:(

We did a 7 day on the Volendam in 2002 it was our first cruise and it really was incredible. I never was so sad as leaving that ship.

Perhaps I'll just lay on my tile lounger at duplicate ports:D

Thanks and happy Holidays

HI,

I did b2b on Ryndam in July--voyage before CruisinJudy--and there were 125 passengers doing b2b.In 2006 I did Veendam b2b and there were far less b2bers. I think that it is getting more and more common--HAL is even selling 2-7 day cruises as a 14 day cruise in Alaska-which they are doing for the first time 2008. HAL is also doing this with Zuiderdam and Noordam in Europe and Noordam in Caribbean next fall-putting 2-10 day sailings together on Noordam and 2-12 day sailings on Zuiderdam.

Love those "Dam"ships.

Happy sailing

One benefit of HAL selling B2B 7-day cruises as a 14-day cruise is that the second 7-day cruise is much more affordable than the first 7-day cruise. I found it to be cheaper to cruise back from Seaward than other transportation back to Vancouver one-way.

I'm booked on a 14 day cruise (or two B2B 7-day cruises). It's a dream I've had for 18 years (since I started cruising) that one day, I would see people get off the ship, but I would stay on. Thanks for making a B2B cruise affordable for us cruisers who spend as much as we can afford on cruising.

32 cruises so far.

Archived