We're considering our first HAL cruise--seeking advice/recommendations.

retiredslug

We just spotted a "27 Day Inca Discovery Cruise" in 2009 that includes Machu Picchu as a possible excursion. Since we would love to avoid long flights to South America this Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego itinerary looks appealing. The ship is the older Statendam and we generally prefer the newer ships. I see from these boards that this ship is currently in drydock getting spiffed up. Now that HAL offers anytime dining (our preference) this might be the cruise for us. Any advice on cabin selection?? And, if we flew into Ft. Lauderdale one day early, which hotel?? Thanks.

Welcome to HAL, and the CC HAL Forum! Can't help you with most of your specific questions, but I'm sure those more experienced with HAL than I am will jump in soon.

Meanwhile, for pre-cruise hotels, I do recommend checking out the Florida area on the East Coast part of the Homeports board - there is a poster there named Bequia who knows EVERYTHING about Fort Lauderdale, and there is LOTS of hotel information. Also check TripAdvisor.com for hotel reviews.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport on Sheridan Street. It was perfectly fine - actually quite nice for a Holiday Inn - and very reasonably priced. It has a free shuttle from the airport and one for $10/pp to the port. However, it's right off I-95 in a not very interesting part of town, with only a Denny's and the hotel's own so-so restaurant within walking distance, so I don't recommend it to those looking for a beach hotel and/or fine dining or shopping opportunities. The only reason I picked it is that my DH has back problems, and that particular Holiday Inn has Tempurpedic mattresses, which we love.

Speaking of which, I would be interested to hear your views on the comfort level of the beds on Nautica, as Oceania is another line I have seriously considered trying. HAL's beds are wonderful - if you decide to try that cruise, do let us know, when you get back, how they compare to Oceania's.

This ship is smaller and older, and a little tired.

That said, we have sailed on it twice and had a great time. Don't miss going to Macchu Picchu. If they offer the three day off ship excursion with stay in Cuzco and round trip on the Orient Express Train to Macchu Picchu go for it! The price is high, but it was one of the highlights of our travels and we have been to a lot of places. Awesome! An outside cabin on main deck in center or close to center is adequate. You won't spend that much time in it anyway.

And, if we flew into Ft. Lauderdale one day early, which hotel?? Thanks.

I can't comment on the Statendam, as we've not been on that ship. I don't know your price range, but my favorite hotel in FLL is The Pillars. It's on the water, very quiet, quaint, and romantic. ;) :cool: Their website is: www.pillarshotel.com. (One word of caution if you stay there: it's a small hotel, our taxi driver was not the least bit familiar with it. Thankfully, I had the address and directions from the airport with me.) Hope this helps.

We've sailed Statendam twice. She's a wonderful old gal. :)

One of my favorite things are the massive and beautiful floral arrangements throughout the ship.

Our 1st cabin was an oceanview, midship on Main deck. We felt a little vibration, but it was great to fall asleep to.

Second time we had a balcony cabin, midship, on Verandah deck. What can I say~~~Wonderful !

Can't help you with the hotel thing though.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

Pat

I too prefer newer ships, but DW likes the size of the S-class, so her favorite ships (of what we've been on so far) are the Veendam and the Statendam. We were just on the Statendam in Sep, and thought it was in very good shape. After its current drydock (completing Dec 17) it should be in great shape!

You gave no indication of the type of cabin you normally book. If you can afford an S suite that is the best, of course. The verandah cabins (A to BC) are very nice. We like to book C, D, or DD cabins on the Lower Promenade and have the "largest verandah on the ship" just a short distance away.

I returned today from an eleven day cruise on the Noordam.

While I have cruised many times in the past, this was my first with Holland America.....and the biggest disappointment.

For some reason I had been led to believe that HAL was a cut above the rest, maybe more elegant, more reserved without the wild bunch on the party boats.

Well, forget the elegance, it's drab and emphasize the reserved...to the point of it being the most boring and uncomfortable cruise I've ever been on.

No variety to the food selection and what fare was available wasn't even average restaurant grade. Portions offered in the Vista Dining were children's size and lacking both flavor and quality. Service was extremely slow from insuffucient help.

Want to upgrade your dining, thirty bucks /person to choose from a menu that is normally free on NCL and RCL dining.

The buffet on the Lido deck was an experience in frustration as every meal, had long lines only to find that supper served in the Vista was the same served in the buffet. No variety. Want juices or coffee at breakfast, ya gotta walk 70 feet to the end of the room. Other cruise lines have beverages alongside the serving line.

Lunch offered one hamburger/hot dog outlet at the pool.

While the staff was helpful and qualified and the rooms clean, the public restroom were foul with odor as was my stateroom 7038. I spent eleven days listening to the bathtub burp every fifteen minutes, literally belching sewer gas that hung in the air. Ship was full, no chance for cabin change and nobody showed up to inspect the plumbing after my complaint.

I should have considered it an omen when during embarkation, security seized a penknife with 2 inch blade from my carry-on. It's not like I was going to hi-jack a 90,000 ton ship with such a tool. But it would have been handy to trim loose threads from my Tux.

The knife was custom made for me with mahogany grip and hand forged steel blade. I even showed police I.D. not for special treatment but to indicate I wasn't a "bad guy". It's important to realize that this was not TSA but rather HAL's own security personnel.

Nothing doing. They seized it saying I could reclaim it at disembarkation. Guess what? Nobody had a clue what happened to the knife when I requested it's return this morning.

I've no doubt it'll make a convenient device in a HAL employee's pocket.

Now, I realize that cruise experiences are as varied as the cruisers who report them. However, I'm not rewarded by the cruise line with perks and discounts as many here are for posting nothing but positive reports. You won't find hundreds of posts attesting to my time on a cruise critic board as I have been quite satisfied with my cruising on NCL and RCL.

I truly am happy for those who are content with HAL but would suggest they get out in the world more to realize there are other cruise lines....most of them better than HAL.

Again, I should compliment the obviously capable staff on board the Noordam, especially the firefighting crew who extinguished the evening fire in the Lido kitchen area.

The fire was the only on board event that even resembled excitement during the eleven days sailing. The ship stood still while we counted the blasts on the emergency fire alarm. Well, then again there was that really big gal who slipped while entering the hot tub and splashed about a hundred gallons of warm water on surrounding folks.

Sorry HAL.....never again!

O2B@C Thanks for guiding me to the Homeports section of these boards--somehow I had never found it before. And, yes, the beds on the Nautica are the best we have experenced on ships.

This South America itinerary is just too convenient for us to ignore. That said--because of the expensive excursion to Machu Picchu we are trying to control costs by selecting an E or EE outside cabin on A Deck (lowest passenger level, I believe). Is this a mistake? Recommendations?

I should have considered it an omen when during embarkation, security seized a penknife with 2 inch blade from my carry-on. It's not like I was going to hi-jack a 90,000 ton ship with such a tool. But it would have been handy to trim loose threads from my Tux.

The knife was custom made for me with mahogany grip and hand forged steel blade. I even showed police I.D. not for special treatment but to indicate I wasn't a "bad guy". It's important to realize that this was not TSA but rather HAL's own security personnel.

Nothing doing. They seized it saying I could reclaim it at disembarkation. Guess what? Nobody had a clue what happened to the knife when I requested it's return this morning.

I've no doubt it'll make a convenient device in a HAL employee's pocket.

I'm sorry that you lost your penknive. It's a shame that you didn't have it packed in your luggage that you checked, same as you'd be required to do when checking-in at the airport. Sounds to me like the security personnel were doing their job, as their expected to do.

Now, I realize that cruise experiences are as varied as the cruisers who report them. However, I'm not rewarded by the cruise line with perks and discounts as many here are for posting nothing but positive reports. You won't find hundreds of posts attesting to my time on a cruise critic board as I have been quite satisfied with my cruising on NCL and RCL.

I can't speak for others on this board, but I've never once been offered anything from HAL or anyone else just because I happened to give a positive review. Neither am I paid by NCL when I happen to say positive things about them.

Well, then again there was that really big gal who slipped while entering the hot tub and splashed about a hundred gallons of warm water on surrounding folks.

I'm sorry, this was just uncalled for.

Sorry HAL.....never again!

:rolleyes:

We haven't been on the Statendam but have cruised on Rotterdam twice and Volendam once. We really like this size ship. We have booked on Main and Dolphin deck and had no problems with our staterooms. We spend very little time in the room as there is so much to do elsewhere on the ship.

The beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

We are on the Statendam in February so I'll let you know.

Archived