What to pack for NCL Alaskan Cruise?

magik8921

I will be going on my honeymoon to Alaska on 6/28/08 aboard NCL's Norwegian Star but I have no clue what will need to be packed? I assume we will wear jeans, sweaters etc during the day for excursions but what should I bring for the evenings? If I were home I would be wearing capri pants and a nice shirt to dinner but I think the weather would be much too cold for those clothes. Should I break out my nice winter clothes for the evenings?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

If you're planning to spend much time outdoors in the evening, you probably want to pack warmer clothes. We've been to Alaska in May and in August, daytime temps ranged from mid 50s to low 80s, nightime could get low, just depending on where you are. Cruising near the glaciers is brrr cold outside. You'd probably be fine with some capris, etc. and some warmer clothes. Evenings can be as casual or as dressy as you want.

The best tip I received for traveling in Alaska: dress in layers.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

during the day, layers...in case it gets warm, you don't want to be too bundled up in sweaters. try not to take heavy coats, it's hard to get in/out of the shuttles and bus. i had a light sweater, sleeveless vest under a hoodie.

the ship will be cool right under a air vent or warm in a corner with no air vents. they try to keep it comfortable on the ship. walking out on deck, at night, could get cold..ship's motion vs air temp.

i wore regular dress slacks with a nice blouse/top for nights. something i could stay comfortable in no matter what i was doing.

go over to the alaska boards to get more hints on your trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Hi

The others are right. Layers are the secret. I was in AL this past May and the weather was in the 60s and sunny. We were very lucky. I brought a lot of turtlenecks and that worked well for me. I also brought warm boots for the glacier excursion. Fleece is also a good idea.

Happy Sailing!

Definately LAYERS, include knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes and rain gear. A lightweight lined jacket is a must.

As only a strong suggestion- budget and pay for the add on NCL Tracy Arm tour. You are NOT likely to see any glaciers if you don't. AND if you do happen to get a look, it will be WAY out compared to what you will see from the jet boat. It's a must do in my opinion and the gem of NCL to be the only line to offer it.

I was on the Sun this year, as well as the Pearl. And the 7-22 sailing was the FIRST of the season to get within view of the glaciers.

• 5 years later...

Hi again,

So if I am reading these correctly, leave my ski jacket at home and just take layers with a rain coat to fit on top?

Also, I've read in a few places you should just buy your stuff at the first stop...that seems risky. Anyone ever do this ?

Thanks again!

Glad girl

If you are going to go out on the glaciers (we took the helicopter excursion), you will need that ski jacket! We took wind/rainproof jackets with fleece liners, wintersilk long underwaer, gloves & hats. My husband, who had thought I was nuts, actully thanked me as we were standing on the glacier. We went the first week in September, so it might be different in May, but I wouldn't count on it.

Archived