Hair braiding in Ocho Rios

Javacruiser

As soon as you get off the ship you will be approached by at least 6 different people looking to braid hair. Everything is negotiable. 5 bucks would probably do the trick. The last time I was in Ochos Rios I was offered pot, hash and cuban cigars all within 5 minutes of getting off the ship. LOL.

Actually, Ocho Rios is the most expensive place for hair braiding. They charge $2 for each braid. DH took her down to get it done while I was shopping. I had no idea what was going on or else I would have supervised the whole thing. She put 50 braids in my 5 year old's head!!!! Teeny tiny ones. When the lady told me $100 I freaked out. She made me feel guilty by saying I agreed to $2 a braid but we settled on $75 including the tip. Cayman was less (about $25- 30 and they did it by the boat docks.) But if you are going to Mexico it is the cheapest. You could get by with about $20 there. If you have it done in Ocho, go down on the beach by Margaritaville. Make sure you tell them up front how much you want to spend

Actually, Ocho Rios is the most expensive place for hair braiding. They charge $2 for each braid. DH took her down to get it done while I was shopping. I had no idea what was going on or else I would have supervised the whole thing. She put 50 braids in my 5 year old's head!!!! Teeny tiny ones. When the lady told me $100 I freaked out. She made me feel guilty by saying I agreed to $2 a braid but we settled on $75 including the tip. Cayman was less (about $25- 30 and they did it by the boat docks.) But if you are going to Mexico it is the cheapest. You could get by with about $20 there. If you have it done in Ocho, go down on the beach by Margaritaville. Make sure you tell them up front how much you want to spend

Hey, at those prices I'm in the wrong business!! :D

Only people near the pier on our Sept. cruise were taxi drivers pestering about offering tours. The island village shopping area (where Margaritaville is) had 2 ladies doing braiding near the beach end of the shopping area. I don't think they would be as likely to try to rip you off here since it is a enclosed/walled shopping area.

just got back thursday and had it done to my 11yod her hair is very long and she wanted the whole head done.....they started at $60 and I said no thank you and went to walk away and they started nagging how much you want to pay....since it was xmas day I kinda felt bad and told them $40. she said ok follow me. I probably could have gotten it even cheaper, but we only had 45 min to be back on the tour bus so we wouldn't miss the ship.

And as far as being ripped off, she did put in 50 braids. But on a 5 year old's head, you could imagine how small they were. We also only did the top (or crown) of her head. But it was still $2 a braid

50 braids on a 5 year old--ouch- how was it to take that all out?

Don't ask!!! Actually, since we only did it to mid crown, the ones around her ears were less than an inch long (still $2) and we left it in for a few extra days to losen up. We washed her head and left in the conditioner when we started undoing them. Just watched our video from that cruise as we leave tomorrow on the Conquest. Still can't believe it. But (no offense to DH) he had no idea that what she was doing was too small. I just left him to pay the lady and make sure DD was not alone while I shopped. If I had been there, none of this would have ever happened.

Archived