First Post-Intro & a Few Questions

Sprocket Rocket

I am somewhat of a web forum junkie so I am excited to join this group as I plan an Alaska cruise for my family of 3. I am 47, my wife is 42 and we have a 15 year old daughter. We really enjoy the outdoors and wildlife, although I am much more "adventurous" than my wife and daughter.

Based on the research I have done, we are close to pulling trigger on the 8/2/2008 Royal Caribbean Hubbard Glacier Cruise round trip from Vancouver. We have already booked frequent flyer air in and out of Seattle and at this point plan to rent a car each way.

We chose this itinerary because it included Hubbard, was a round trip, and included Icy Straight which sounds like my kind of place (read: noncommercialized). I participate on several saltwater fishing forums and there are several members who live in Alaska and are in the charter business so I may set up some fishing.

I'd like to hear some comments on this itinerary and some "can't miss" activities. It sounds as if Juneau is the place for whale watching.

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good plan. I have only been on two Alaska cruises so I'll share what I know and I'm sure the experts will jump in. You should have great whale watching in Juneau or Icy Strait Point. ISP is definitely less commercialized and touristy so you made a good choice since shopping is not your thing (there is shopping here too). Many people on this board recommend renting a car in Skagway and following Murray's guide up to Emerald Lake. We tried to do it this September but the winds caused us to miss docking in Skagway (actually ended up in ISP which was a nice surprise). If you do a search on this board you will find info about Murray's guide -- Murray may be lurking too and can tell you directly what you will see. This drive will also get you out into the wilderness and away from all of the cruise ship herd. Nothing against fellow cruisers, I just feel strongly that in Alaska you should get out into the wilderness. Last thing I'll say is to be ready for any kind of weather in Alaska, it could be warm and sunny or cool and rainy, sometimes all in the same day. Enjoy! Wish we were going this year!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You could probably combine whale watching and fishing in Icy Strait Point - perhaps some of your contacts can work that out for you.

You can figure out Skagway and Juneau based on other things you read on this board - so much to do in each port. The White Pass Railroad or renting a car and driving up the pass are both popular in Skagway. I love the hiking in Skagway and you can find a list of trails on Skagway's visitor bureau website.

Juneau also has lots to offer, including Mendenhall glacier, whale watching, helicopter tours, etc.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

John

If you are unsure about anything to do in Skagway, go to the National Park Service when you land here and they have the best, up to the minute, unbiased, advice about the possibilities for that day as well as a wealth of trailmaps, guided walking tours and a video about the gold rush which shouldn't be missed!

We also have some fishing possibilities both fresh and salt water out of here. Good luck and we will see you all soon! DD

I am somewhat of a web forum junkie so I am excited to join this group as I plan an Alaska cruise for my family of 3. I am 47, my wife is 42 and we have a 15 year old daughter. We really enjoy the outdoors and wildlife, although I am much more "adventurous" than my wife and daughter.

Based on the research I have done, we are close to pulling trigger on the 8/2/2008 Royal Caribbean Hubbard Glacier Cruise round trip from Vancouver. We have already booked frequent flyer air in and out of Seattle and at this point plan to rent a car each way.

We chose this itinerary because it included Hubbard, was a round trip, and included Icy Straight which sounds like my kind of place (read: noncommercialized). I participate on several saltwater fishing forums and there are several members who live in Alaska and are in the charter business so I may set up some fishing.

I'd like to hear some comments on this itinerary and some "can't miss" activities. It sounds as if Juneau is the place for whale watching.

Welcome to cruise critic SpRocket Rocket. I agree with others who have suggested renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. If you are thinking about this you might want to reserve a car as soon as you can. The only major car rental in Skagway is AVIS and I have used them many times. There is also an option for a half day train ride in Skagway but the cost, for three people, would be around four times the cost of the car rental.

There are soooo many wonderful things to do in Alaska. What you have to do is to pick some for your FIRST time -- and leave some for the NEXT time!

If you check my website in the sig below you will find reviews of several cruises to Alaska and pics of quite a few shore excursions. The ones I like might bore you, and the ones you like might kill me!

I do recommend the drive from Skagway to Caribou Crossing, and the dog cart rides, or the ATVs if you are so inclined.

I also recommend bear watching with Teckk tours in ISP.

In Juneau the ship's whale watching through Allen Marine is usually excellent.

It is exciting to have all the options and get to spend time planning. Stick around this board and you will hear many many opinions! Sort through them and you will arrive at what is right for YOU!

As another suggestion- with your transfer Vancouver/Seattle. Be certain to allow enough TIME. Border delays are proposed to run 2-3 hours next summer, so you may want to be open to rerouting from Blaine to Lynden (which also is going to slow down). I most always stay the night prior in Bellingham (if you are driving up your cruise day) then with an early start, you will have less waits in lines, and the opportunity to see some of Vancouver. On the return- again, if leaving the same day, do NOT have a flight leaving Seattle before 4pm. There is plenty to keep you busy in both Vancouver and Seattle, so hopefully you have allowed extra time here anyway.

As only additional information, you want a downtown Vancouver car and not the airport. I have rented from Avis, Alamo, Budget and National. I go with the cheapest. There is also Hertz.

I agree with others who have suggested renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. If you are thinking about this you might want to reserve a car as soon as you can. The only major car rental in Skagway is AVIS and I have used them many times. There is also an option for a half day train ride in Skagway but the cost, for three people, would be around four times the cost of the car rental.

I agree that renting a car to drive to the Yukon is considerably less expensive than taking the train, especially for 2 or more people - but it isn't the same experience. I'm usually the one to look for the less-expensive option, but the WP&YR train was something I wanted to experience at least once. We may rent a car the next time we're in Skagway, but I felt taking the train was worth the higher pricetag.

Some people complain that Skagway is "too touristy." Lots of "tourists" ride the train - but it's one of the few things from the Klondike gold rush that still remains. Murray (Yukon) has written a wonderful road guide for the drive to the Yukon (http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html), but he is also a big rail fan: http://www.railsnorth.com/wpyr.htm

I agree that renting a car to drive to the Yukon is considerably less expensive than taking the train, especially for 2 or more people - but it isn't the same experience. I'm usually the one to look for the less-expensive option, but the WP&YR train was something I wanted to experience at least once. We may rent a car the next time we're in Skagway, but I felt taking the train was worth the higher pricetag.

Some people complain that Skagway is "too touristy." Lots of "tourists" ride the train - but it's one of the few things from the Klondike gold rush that still remains. Murray (Yukon) has written a wonderful road guide for the drive to the Yukon (http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html), but he is also a big rail fan: http://www.railsnorth.com/wpyr.htm

This is a fact, they are not the same. Both are excellent choices, but the White Pass RR is a dream with an interest in history, superior scenery and engineering. I have done both several times and each time, the trip is breathtaking- each of them. :)

Make the choice based on your interests, not just based on price. I am an advocate in Alaska touring- - this isn't the place to skimp if you choose not to.

Thanks to all who have replied.

My wife and I read through Murray's Guide and it seems like a great ride. I am fine driving all day, but my wife needs some type of activity.

What are your thoughts on the itinerary we chose versus the r/t cruises from Seattle that do not go as far as Hubbard?

We land in Seattle around 4 pm the day before the cruise, and our flight back to FL leaves late the night after the cruise ends, giving us a day and 1/2 in Seattle. Thanks to BQ for the tips on the border crossing and the Bellingham recommendation.

I participate on another site dedicated to getting deals using priceline, and the Seattle area board is pretty active. Not sure if I can post a link to that site but it is a great resource for the "budget minded".

What are your thoughts on the itinerary we chose versus the r/t cruises from Seattle that do not go as far as Hubbard?

HAL Oosterdam does a roundtrip from Seattle that goes to Hubbard Glacier (http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20080607:O837:A8O007&dest=A). In light of potential troubles for Alaska cruisers out of Seattle (see this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=677727) - I'd probably stick with a roundtrip out of Vancouver.

Thanks to all who have replied.

My wife and I read through Murray's Guide and it seems like a great ride. I am fine driving all day, but my wife needs some type of activity.

We land in Seattle around 4 pm the day before the cruise, and our flight back to FL leaves late the night after the cruise ends, giving us a day and 1/2 in Seattle. Thanks to BQ for the tips on the border crossing and the Bellingham recommendation.

I participate on another site dedicated to getting deals using priceline, and the Seattle area board is pretty active. Not sure if I can post a link to that site but it is a great resource for the "budget minded".

There are all kinds of stops along the way on the Klondike Highway for some short hiking, if of interest?? Take your time and enjoy the ride, Reserve your car in advance with Avis- the only major, they do sell out and are in short supply.

It is grossly superior for scenic sailing to go out of Vancouver, so stick with what you have perhaps?

There's many easier hikes in Juneau that can be reached with a car if you decided to rent one here, but here's an idea that may give you a more active option while your daughter and wife can take an easier route.

The Mt. Roberts Tram can be used to reach the mountain top, but there's also a hiking trail. You could hike up--takes about an hour, I believe--while your daughter and wife could do a bit of shopping--making general assumption about their interests, apologize if it's not true--then zip up to meet you at the top.

There's many easier hikes in Juneau that can be reached with a car if you decided to rent one here, but here's an idea that may give you a more active option while your daughter and wife can take an easier route.

The Mt. Roberts Tram can be used to reach the mountain top, but there's also a hiking trail. You could hike up--takes about an hour, I believe--while your daughter and wife could do a bit of shopping--making general assumption about their interests, apologize if it's not true--then zip up to meet you at the top.

Is this hike easy enough for non-hikers to do, or is it a fairly strenuous hike?

Is this hike easy enough for non-hikers to do, or is it a fairly strenuous hike?

I checked an old Mt. Roberts thread that someone did the entire hike--I've just done a bit of the beginning--and they described themselves as experienced backpackers, and said it was a workout.

From my hiking guide, it's about 1700 feet of elevation gain in a bit under a mile to reach the Tram area. If it's been raining, the train can also be quite slick.

However, I love the trails around the Tram area. They're rolling hillside and meadow trails with wonderful views. Do take the time to walk some, particularly if the weather's good.

Also, I underestimated the time to do the full trail. It's about 20-40 minutes to reach the trail head from the docks, and then 1 1/2 to do the trail. It's another two miles and 500 feet gain to the very top of Mt. Roberts past the tram.

It is stright up, I have hiked down, which wasn't a picnic either. :) Definately avoid this, if it has been raining the prior few days- it becomes a dangerous mud slick.

Thanks to all who are keeping tabs on my thread.

I hope to be booked by the end of the week. It is amazing how much I have learned in only a few days on the site. I have access to a "vendor rate" on RCCLwhich amounts to a 15% discount. I am not sure if I can then transfer this rate to a TA to get some OBC. One of the warehouse clubs that I am a member of provides 10% OBC which would be nice on an Alaska cruise. I had no idea this stuff existed last week.

One thing I have learned is that excursions are expensive in Alaska. We decided to splurge on a balcony, and agreed to eat at home an extra day a week to cover it:cool: . We'll see how long that lasts!

Archived